2008 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 11 of 12)

Feb 022010

Cobalt

Slowed from 25 mph to turn corner. Power steering failed in turn; all dash lights flashed. Unable to pull car back in time before entering opposing traffic lane. Fortunately, no opposing traffic present. Let car roll to a stop on opposite shoulder & turned car off. Waited a few minutes and turned car back on. Power steering was working when I turned car back on. Car is at dealership to be evaluated for that and for engine light on this morning.

- Prescott, WI, USA

Nov 112009

Cobalt

1. squealing while turning squealing upon start-up stiff steering erratic function lack of power 2. it occurs often, cannot steer, I didn't realize what was wrong with my car until I found the symptoms on-line and I have all of them. 3. will take it into dealership.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Sep 012009

Cobalt

My power steering failed - several times, after my 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt hit around 45,00miles. I was told the car had just run out of warranty and I would have to pay to have this fixed. I refused, because all over the internet were complaints from Chevrolet Cobalt users saying that even after it was fixed, the issue returned. They finally agreed to fix it for free. The part was replaced.

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Jan 302010

Cobalt

2008 Chevy Cobalt, power steering quit while driving approx length of trip was 70 miles. Shut vehicle off. Restarted approx 15 mins later and seemed fine. Drove straight to the dealer. Dealer says it has been repaired.

- Lower Burrell, PA, USA

Jan 282010

Cobalt

I have a 2008 Chevy Cobalt with a random message light "power steering". when the message light comes on, the power steering goes out. The message light goes off when the car is turned off and will randomly appear again, either going at a slow speed, such as turning a corner or just going down the expressway at 65 mph. I have taken it to the dealer who tells me the power steering motor is going out and is expected to cost about $500. The car was put into the shop today and they have told me now that they want to check everything out and will call me when they find the "exact" problem. I have today become aware that an investigation has been started by the NHTSA because of approximately 1132 complaints about the Cobalt's failing power steering systems. I was told by the dealer that they do not see this problem very often. However, if there have been this many reported incidents there is no telling how many have gone unreported.

- Owasso, OK, USA

Feb 012010

Cobalt

I was driving my 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt with 14,000 miles on it and my power steering system failed. I was able to pull over and shut the car off and once I re-started the car I had power steering back only for a few blocks before it failed again. This happened several times on the same evening. I dropped the car off at the dealership on 2/2/10 and am still waiting to hear back from them.

- Jenkintown, PA, USA

Jan 052010

Cobalt

Chevy Cobalt power steering failure. Power steering intermittent. Not working at the moment.

- Discovery Bay, CA, USA

Jan 032010

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 40 mph on normal road conditions the power steering light illuminated on the instrument panel and immediately there was a loss of power steering. The driver used extreme force to turn the steering wheel and drive onto the emergency lane. The vehicle was turned off and restarted; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was diagnosed by the dealer and an independent mechanic who were unable to duplicate the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Addison , IL, USA

Jan 102010

Cobalt

Power steering coming on and going off while driving. I am having to replace it myself.

- Brownsville, TN, USA

Aug 112009

Cobalt

All of a sudden, the steering wheel has shifted. While driving straight, the wheel is turned a quarter turn to the left. Whenever turning the steering wheel, I hear a squeaking noise and sometimes a "clunk" noise.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Nov 012009

Cobalt

In March of 2008 I purchased a brand new 2008 Chevrolet cobal in November of 2009 the power steering started randomly going out while driving, completely out

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Sep 102009

Cobalt

I have a 2008 Chevy Cobalt that was purchased new and with 51,000 miles on it I have replaced the lower control arm on the right side, sway bar bushing, sway bar, and tires. And now I have to fix the left side I also have a friend that had the same car, same year and about the same mileage he also had to do the same repairs.

- Middletown, NY, USA

Dec 112009

Cobalt

My power steering without warning goes out on my 2008 cheverolet Cobalt and I only have 45,000 miles on it. There is no recall to fix the problem and warranty does not cover this.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jun 122009

Cobalt

The power steering failure in the '08 Chevy Cobalt seems to occur at random. With only 6K miles on the vehicle it was taken back to the dealer to be fixed. Now at 10K miles the same problem is occurring. The power steering will stop working and the light in the dash will flash at random. The longer it goes without repair the worse it gets. Eventually it will go out every 5 minutes or less. Only way to fix it is to shut the car off and turn it back on.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Oct 302009

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevy Cobalt. While driving 30 mph the contact merged to the right lane and the power steering malfunctioned almost causing the vehicle to crash. He turned the vehicle off and after restarting it he was able to continue driving normally. Two weeks later, the power steering failure recurred. The dealer has not diagnosed the failure. The VIN was not available. The current mileage was 23,000 and the failure mileage was 22,500.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 092009

Cobalt

My daughter was driving a 2008 Chevy Cobalt and the power steering locked up and she went through a fence into a hay field.

- Macarthur, WV, USA

Oct 222008

Cobalt

Driving the car on the road, the power steering light comes on, can no longer steer the car.

- Stapleton, GA, USA

Oct 082009

Cobalt

I was driving about 45 mph and suddenly the it was hard to steer and the words power steering popped up on my dash. There was lots of traffic. It was almost impossible for me to turn left and right. I turned the car off once I got home for about twenty minutes and I started it up and took it around the block, not even one minute of starting it power steering flashed on my dash. I have had 2 other electrical problems with this car this will be my 3rd time taking it into the dealer for something electrical. My warranty ended at 30,000 it currently had 30,060.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Aug 312009

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 40 mph he noticed the power steering failure light illuminated on the dash board and the steering wheel became very difficult to maneuver. He shut the engine off and after five minutes restarted it and he was able to continue driving normally. The contact is in the process of taking the vehicle to the dealer to be inspected. The contact called the manufacturer and was informed that no compensation would be offered since there were no related recalls. The vehicle identification number was unavailable. The failure mileage was 42,000 and the current mileage was 42,500.

- Phoneix, AZ, USA

Dec 122008

Cobalt

Driving in inclement weather, car performs poorly. Hard to control and poor traction. Car has 18,000 miles on it. Spoke to an owner with similar car (Pontiac G5) who has similar complaint. A week ago an 18 year old girl lost control of her 2007 Cobalt during winter weather. Worst car in winter weather I have owned.

- Medina, OH, USA