2009 Chevrolet Cobalt brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments

Apr 282015

Cobalt 4-cyl

This is the second time this issue has happened. The issue is when turning on an on-ramp that has sharp turning radius the car ABS system turns on and you lose control of the car. This also happens when you are already on a freeway that has a sweeping on ramp to another freeway the ABS starts to brake in the turn. I have reported this issue to the dealership and they have not addressed it.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 282014

Multiple recall failures: 2009 Chevy Cobalt lt ignition switch failure, airbags failure to deploy, power steering failure, brake failure, gear box failure. Ignition switch failure cause vehicle to stall, vehicle was then hit in rear by 16 wheel tractor trailer, thus causing driver to be knocked in the back sit of vehicle, injury to head, to inside of mouth, braking of teeth on both sides of mouth, neck injury, right and left shoulder injury, back injury, and never damage to right shoulder plate, driver is in continuous pain since this accident approx 11 months. Driver still in possession of vehicle because he is totaled disable, and does not know what to do about what correct measures to take. Nationwide insurance declared vehicle a totaled loss, request driver to give them power of attorney rights to pay off current lien holder. Owner felted uneased to do so, therefore has continuously paid on vehicle for 11 months and has been unable to drive vehicle. I need help, I once worked for region iv ntsb Agency here in atlanta I have never felt so victimized in my life by GM and nationwide. I really need direction and have sought legal. But GM compensation program will not communicate with consumers lawyer per protocols for compensatory damages.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jun 052014

My electrical power steering fails when driving. This failure just started a month ago. It gets very hard to turn the steering wheel, making it difficult to execute turns or switch lanes in some cases. Contacted GM about this issue seeing how it was a recall on 2010 models and was told that my car is not covered. Something needs to be done.

- West Columbia, SC, USA

Sep 092011

Cobalt 4-cyl

The first occurrence was on 9/9/2011 at 7:30 am in the morning. The vehicle would not start. The second occurrence was on 9/9/10 at 5:00 P.M. the vehicle started and when arriving at designated location the vehicle would not stop in park. The engine continued to run, unable to take key out of ignition, the vehicle when put into other gears was able to drive. We attempted to get the engine to stop and get the key out of the ignition but we failed to do so for a lengthy period of time. The battery had to be disconnected with the engine running. This decision was made after no other alternatives could be made to shut off the vehicle. This was a dangerous situation and could have cause electrical burns or other issues while doing this.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

May 272011

I bought a 2009 Chevy Cobalt in Dec. 2010 in Feb. 2011 I went to turn my car on the battery had died at that time I tried to remove the key from the ignition an it was stuck. A personal mechanic came an pressed the release button under the steering column a month a later I go to get in my car an turn it on the key is in but the ignition won't turn over again the mechanic comes an releases it. Now two days ago I get into my car turn it on an I stop at a store an go to turn off the car the key is turned completely back and won't budge so I had to pump gas with my car on anytime I went into a store had to leave my car running when I got home I called my mechanic I took the car to him an he said the key mechanism needs to be replaced he showed me a way to turn the vehicle on an off under the column but the key can not be removed from the ignition I called the dealership they want me to pay the 99 dollar diagnostic which I don't have being a single mother of two living check to check so I filed a complaint with GM all they could tell me was they would open a case an she will call me back in a week to see if I decided to get a diagnostic done on the car now when I have researched online about this issue there are other complaints of the same issue I believe they need to recall the issue I don't feel the car is safe to drive with my two kids in the car an being the key won't come out the ignition I cant lock my doors anyone can come an take whatever it is that they want.

- Groveland, FL, USA