2.4

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments

Apr 152016

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. After parking the vehicle, a fuel odor emitted. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the pressure fuel line and the return fuel line needed to be replaced, due to rust forming. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000. Updated 06/14/16 updated 06/29/16.

- Osgood, IN, USA

Aug 192014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I have a fuel pump leak on my 09 Chevy Cobalt. According to records, GM issued a recall on 9/19/2012 due to issues with the plastic covering on the fuel pump cracking. This recall was issued to owner's who purchased registered their vehicle in various states, including Florida (or under special coverage # 12191 other states may qualify), however, I was not notified of this recall, despite GM's legal obligation to notify all customers who qualify. My car was registered in Florida prior to the recall issue date and therefore should qualify. My car has been issuing the smell of gasoline over the last few months and a diagnostic test from a reputable mechanic has shown that the pump needs to be replaced due to difficulty igniting the engine/starting the vehicle. GM refuses to replace the part for me, though I feel as an owner of a 2009 Chevy Cobalt I should be covered for this recalled part.

- Daytona Beach, FL, USA

Jul 212014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I had a very bad gas leak. I called the local Chevrolet dealership and they said my car wasn't part of the recall they had on the same problem due to my VIN number. I took it to a mechanic that said my fuel pump module was cracked and they replaced it costing me $610.42. I think I should be reimbursed by Chevrolet.

- Cape Coral , FL, USA

Jun 282014

Cobalt 4-cyl

Fuel leaking from area of gas tank, strong odor of gas in compartment.

- Blackwell, MO, USA

Jul 222014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that there was a strong gasoline fuel odor emitting from the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who was unable to duplicate the failure. The contact was made aware of NHTSA number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline), however the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 74,000.

- Colubia, MD, USA

Jul 112014

Cobalt 4-cyl

Very strong odor of gas inside and outside the car when sitting still. I put the car on ramps and found out there is a gas leak coming from the gas tank area. I looked up online and the recall for this car, regarding the same recall for other cars of this make and model, isn't included. The gas leak is very close to the exhaust system in this car. There is no doubt in my mind that this is the same problem other cars of this make being recalled is the same problem this car is experiencing.

- Saint Johns, FL, USA

May 012014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact smelled a strong fuel odor inside the vehicle upon starting the engine and noticed fuel leaking onto the ground. The dealer stated that the VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline). The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 11,000.

- West Hampton Beach , NY, USA

Apr 032014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the vehicle emitted a gasoline fuel odor. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired on four occasions. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline). The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 87,630. The VIN was not available.

- Bakersfield , CA, USA

Nov 012013

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that there was a strong fuel odor emitted after the vehicle was driven and there was a visible fuel leak. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the fuel pump was fractured and caused the fuel to leak. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline). The approximate failure mileage was 75,000 and the current mileage was 78,000.

- Blair, NE, USA

Nov 162013

Cobalt

I just found out there was a recall on the 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt due to failure with the electric power steering assist motor / system. As I looked it up I found 2 additional recalls which Chevrolet was supposed to contact me on all 3. I was not contacted, and do not know if my car has had the repairs done prior to me purchasing the vehicle in January 2011. The 2 other recalls are as follows. Shifter cable problem with car not in proper gear, clip on cable, if not installed properly, Chevrolet is supposed to replace the entire cable. Also, a fuel leakage can occur, causing a fire, due to a plastic supply and/or return port breakage on the fuel pump module.

- Liberty Twp., OH, USA

Jul 012013

Cobalt

Letter from senator grassley on behalf of constituent re the potential explosions through fuel leakage in the GM Cobalt (attn: Sherry kuntz) the consumer received a letter from GM, stating his/her vehicle was subject to fuel leakage, but since the consumer did not live in a high temperature area, he/she should monitor it for a fuel smell. The letter stated if there was a fuel smell, to take the vehicle to the dealer, and they would fix it for free.

- Clinton, IA, USA

Feb 262012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Notice very bad gas smell after on the way back from the store heading home engine was heisting really bad. Parked the car in the parking lot turned off the car asap. Looked under neath the car and saw fuel leaking I jacked the car up with the jack. I saw fuel coming out from on top of the gas tank. I check out the fuel lines and notice one was cracked. Having the vehicle towed tomorrow 2/27/12 to the Chevy dealership. Has less then 80,000 miles on it.

- Magnolia, TX, USA

Dec 242010

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The vehicle was parked when the contact began to smell fuel fumes. The vehicle was taken to an independent repair shop where the contact was informed the fuel tank was leaking. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 43,000.

- Jupiter, FL, USA