2009 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Dec 292009

Cobalt 4-cyl

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to steering column problems. The consumer stated part of the steering column was replaced 4 times, since the vehicle was purchased new in 2009. The problem was originally noticed as a rattle in the dashboard area in December 2009. The steering column was replaced. A similar noise returned in October 2010, where the steering rack and pinion input bearing was replaced, and on March 30, 2011, the steering column was replaced again. In February 2014, the rattle returned for the 4th time and the steering column was replaced. On November 2, 2011 the consumer attempted to turn off the vehicle, but was unable to do so. The dealer replaced the ignition switch. The old switch had completely apart inside the steering column.

- Yuma, AZ, USA

Apr 092014

Cobalt

When I was pulling into a nursing home making a right hand turn the cars steering went and it was pulling me all the way to the right and almost crashed in parking lot I had to gain control N force the steering wheel to go back straight

- Manchester, NJ, USA

Apr 012014

Cobalt

TL- the contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the steering wheel failed numerous times while driving. The power steering warning light illuminated while the failure occurred. The steering wheel was hard to turn. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for the failure. The manufacturer advised the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 14V153000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 53, 000.

- West Planis , MO, USA

Nov 012013

Cobalt

Lost power in steering it was replaced 13 months prior for a recall. Before that steering locked up on

- Tulare, CA, USA

Sep 172009

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated the cruise control was activated while driving approximately 55 mph. The steering column began to shake violently when the brake pedal was engaged. The failure only recurred when the brakes were applied. In addition, the ignition failed to function properly upon starting. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the power steering pump was replaced. The steering malfunction persisted and the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The contact no longer owned the vehicle. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 33,900.

- Darlington , SC, USA

Nov 112013

Cobalt

Power steering was going out several times over a few weeks. It would just quit working and my daughter would have to steer hard. If she shut off the vehicle and waited a few minutes then restarted the car it would fix it. We had her take it in which they said it was not under a recall and charged us $239 to fix this. They said it showed it had been fixed once before in the past. I see this has a recall now for the exact thing that was wrong with her car and I feel I should be able to get this fixed correctly and reimbursed for the problem. I feel since this is the second time the power steering has been fixed it will happen again.

- Mason, OH, USA

Feb 052013

Cobalt

My entire column shakes and makes a dragging sound when driving.

- Englewood, CO, USA

Feb 262014

Cobalt

As I was driving down the street to turn into my parking lot I started turning the wheel left when I turned my steering wheel and brakes locked up and drove over the curb of my apartment complex causing my whole right side of my car $1300 worth of damage this is the second time this has happened to me first time no damage was done that was back in October.

- Youngstown , OH, USA

Feb 062014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the power steering assist failed as the steering wheel seized without warning. The emergency brake was used to stop the vehicle in a grassy field. The contact turned the engine off and once restarted, the vehicle resumed normally. The failure recurred twice within a one week period. The following day, the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was not taken to dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 67,500. The VIN was not available.

- Erie, PA, USA

Mar 282010

Cobalt

The accident on making a sweeping turn and the car loss control and hit a tree. After the accident a couple of weeks got a recall letter in the mail from Chevy for a recall 10023 loss of power steering assist. I do not know if this contributes to the accident. If further information contact me.

- Old Bridge, NJ, USA

Mar 032014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt which was purchased brand new. The contact heard a noise in the steering column while the technician test drove the vehicle at approximately 10 to 15 mph. The technician confirmed that the steering column and linkage needed to be replaced at the contacts expense for $942. The steering column remained locked after the vehicle was repaired. The technician stated that the wheels must remain straight at all times in order for the ignition to be engaged. A representative with the manufacturer stated that he would call the contact within twenty four hours to follow up on the defect and reimbursement; however, no one has notified him. The contact was offered a partial reimbursement on the steering column repair which he denied. The failure mileage was 35,520.

- Detroit , MI, USA

Dec 222013

Cobalt 4-cyl

While pulling out of the gas station, the power steering light came on and the power steering no longer worked. It has not worked since then.

- Muskogee, OK, USA

Nov 212013

Cobalt 4-cyl

Driving on the interstate, the electrical power steering went out. I was informed that the electrical motor was already replaced back in 2010 under my warranty. Now, they state this "problem" with the eps was never a "national recall" problem and all repairs will be at my expense.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Nov 162013

Cobalt

I just found out there was a recall on the 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt due to failure with the electric power steering assist motor / system. As I looked it up I found 2 additional recalls which Chevrolet was supposed to contact me on all 3. I was not contacted, and do not know if my car has had the repairs done prior to me purchasing the vehicle in January 2011. The 2 other recalls are as follows. Shifter cable problem with car not in proper gear, clip on cable, if not installed properly, Chevrolet is supposed to replace the entire cable. Also, a fuel leakage can occur, causing a fire, due to a plastic supply and/or return port breakage on the fuel pump module.

- Liberty Twp., OH, USA

Oct 312013

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated the steering wheel failed without warning when she drove 55 mph. The steering wheel became hard to turn; however, the steering wheel regained normal function when the brake pedal was depressed. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 88,000. Updated 01/07/14

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Oct 102013

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated as the warning chime sounded. The contact stated that the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 10V073000 (steering) but was advised by the manufacturer that the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 26,539.

- Flushing , NY, USA

Oct 142013

Cobalt 4-cyl

I was driving and pulled up to a stop sign and the power steering went out. The dealership wants to charge me hundreds of dollars to get it fixed this time because it remains defective even after the recall was claimed in 2010. I think it is morally wrong of them to not fix the system continuously free of charge knowing the unit is consistently defective.

- Seattle , WA, USA

Sep 132013

Cobalt

Power steering light come on in the dash, wheel hard to turn, difficult to pull off the road at 35 mph, read manual and find out it has electric steering assist motor, called dealer for recalls or warranty, none. Amazing how we can sell vehicles that don't even make it to 50K miles before tearing into todays thin wallets. Very sad.

- Elyria, OH, USA

Jan 152013

Cobalt 4-cyl

Power steering motor has been replaced twice on my car. Every two years it gets replaced. Power steering has gone out multiple times when driving at various speeds. GM has replaced twice.

- Mansfield, OH, USA

Aug 032013

Cobalt 4-cyl

When I drive my car over 60 I get a sway side to side and I feel like its going to sway in to another car when I go by them. I had it in a Chevy dealership to have it fixed and they did nothing but put a pull in the car and it sill sways. I think it has to do with the rack in the car and or the electrical steering in the car. The dealership says " its been fixed in the first recall" well I am saying its not so I think it should be recalled again and fixed right this time....

- Williamson, NY, USA