2009 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

May 232014

Cobalt 4-cyl

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer had car taken in repair shop to fix power steering problem ignition switch and the dealer kept the vehicle for three months. Each time the consumer called to inquire about the vehicle, she was informed they were waiting on the parts. When the vehicle was returned to the consumer, the turn signals and air condition were not working properly.

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Jan 032015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 25 mph, the steering wheel seized on numerous occasions. The power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact was made aware of NHTSA campaign number: 10V073000 (steering) however, the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Dec 292014

Cobalt

My electronic power steering is cutting in and out at random time intervals. Called the dealer to see if my Cobalt was part of the affected recall on the power steering and was informed that they will not cover the repair for my car under that recall.

- Hemlock, NY, USA

Oct 222014

Cobalt

My intermediate steering shaft went out had it replaced a month later it went out again. No two months later had it in again it needs entire steering rack $610 for GM ' brand. From what I read online GM suede the maker of the steering rack to pay their customers it is a plastic gear. The greatest thing about the car is the water that comes inside down my air bag when it rains. I've took it in 7 times for this problem. Besides the recalls the door handle fell off. Head light got water in it. It never ends.

- Beckley, WV, USA

Dec 272014

Cobalt

The dic shows the reading of each tire pressure backwards, for example right front wheel is actually the rear right wheel, and left front is actually rear front. Also I am unable to use the cruise control. The lights turns on but the car does not engage in the same speed for the cruise control.

- Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA

Sep 012011

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. While traveling approximately 20 mph, another vehicle crashed into the front of the vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the air bag system was faulty and the vehicle was repaired. In addition, while entering the highway and attempting to make a right turn, the vehicle veered to the left and into oncoming traffic. As a result, a second vehicle crashed into the front driver side of the vehicle. No injuries were reported and no police report was filed. After restarting the engine, the vehicle operated as normal. Also, the contact indicated that fuel was leaking from the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed and repaired the failure. No information was available regarding the diagnosis. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Summerfield, NC, USA

Oct 212014

Cobalt

I was on my way home and it was raining on the expressway but by the time I got to the city I live it had stop. I was exiting the expressway and was turning a left on the street I live on. I had made my turn at about 30 mph and after I had made my turn the car was straight for awhile then all the sudden the car acted up and the steering wheel or the wheels or something happen that made my car make a sharp U-turn going in front of ongoing traffic. My car went straight in front of a car and she didn't have time to stop so she hit me and we both went onto the island. I have no idea what happened but luckily we were both going slow that none of us were hurt but our cars were in bad conditions. I'm looking at 3,000 damage on my car, and probably 4,000 damage to her car. I want to say it was bc of the rain, but the road wasn't wet and I just got new tires and just got a oil change. I maintain my car very well so I have no idea why that would happen.

- Edinburg, TX, USA

Oct 092014

Cobalt

On Thursday October 9th, 2014 I was driving East on rt 70. It began to rain heavily at approximately 4:50pm and I attempted to use the breaks on my vehicle. The breaks were suddenly very stiff. I didn't think they were working. I was in the left lane when this occurred and immediately put on my emergency lights and tried to move to the middle lane, to the right lane so I could go to the shoulder. When I attempted to switch the lanes, the power steering wasn't working. I managed to move the steering wheel slightly so that I could switch lanes. There was oncoming traffic before an available shoulder so I tried to speed up. I was unable to increase my speed. I was able to slow down naturally but I wasn't able to completely stop until I got to the shoulder and pushed extremely hard on the breaks and held down on the break for several seconds. The radio was still working and the heater was blowing cold air. I was able to get the vehicle working again by turning the ignition to the off position and turning the ignition back on. I think my vehicle's engine turned off while I was driving. I have onstar on the vehicle and immediately pushed the button when I was unable to break properly with my vehicle. The lady I spoke with said that she was seeing some problem with my breaks but I took my vehicle to the local dealership the same day and they found no codes for my vehicle. The next day the dealership told me that they fixed the ignition recall on my vehicle and that might have fixed the issue. On two other occasions before the recall was announced, I had a similar issue and brought it into the dealership. They couldn't find anything wrong. This experience was terrifying and I'm just glad that I wasn't killed.

- Littleton , CO, USA

Oct 072014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 5 mph and attempting to make a left turn, the steering wheel seized without warning. The failure persisted after shutting off and restarting the vehicle. The failure occurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000.

- House Springs , MO, USA

Jul 122014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving various speeds, the steering wheel seized on numerous occasions. The dealer replaced the power steering motor. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 27,300. Updated 10/03/14

- Banger, PA, USA

Apr 082014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the engine was running while the key was out of the ignition, the vehicle was in park and the vehicle rolled away. The contact had received two notifications for NHTSA campaign number: 14V171000 (electrical system) and NHTSA campaign number: 10V073000(steering) however, the parts were not available. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 29,000.

- Burton, SC, USA

Aug 042014

Cobalt

I took the car into the dealership because of a noise on driver side near tire during low speed while going over a bumb. Dealer stated the steering column was bad. Replaced the part at a total cost of $874.62. There are several compliants about the steering column lower bearing that is failing on the NHTSA web site, with some indicating they had to replace this part multiple times. I feel the part is defective and should be recalled because it can cause the steering to seize and the operator will not be able to control the vehicle. I contacted the manufacturer and they took my compliant over the phone, but they most likely will not reimburse me for the repairs unless they determine the part is defective. I want this to further investigated because I fear the new part can fail at any time causing a crash and a potential fatality.

- Hebron, KY, USA

Jun 192014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 10V073000 (electric power steering). The contact stated that the proper recall repairs were not completed on the vehicle. The contact stated that on the dealers invoice indicated that the power steering motor was replaced and not the electric power steering motor. The dealer stated that the column kit needed to be replaced in order for the power steering motor to operate correctly. The contact did not experience a failure.

- Saluda, SC, USA

Jun 052014

Cobalt

My electrical power steering fails when driving. This failure just started a month ago. It gets very hard to turn the steering wheel, making it difficult to execute turns or switch lanes in some cases. Contacted GM about this issue seeing how it was a recall on 2010 models and was told that my car is not covered. Something needs to be done.

- West Columbia, SC, USA

May 052014

Cobalt 4-cyl

www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/03/31/GM-recall-steering/7127117/ this recall covers 2010 but I had a power steering replacement in January 2011 from a 2010 recall www-ODI.NHTSA.dot.gov/recalls/recallresults.cfm?start=1&searchtype=quicksearch&rcl_id=10V073000 the new recall only indicates 2010 and "some previously recalled vehicles" I took my car in early may to my dealership, pat O'brien Chevrolet in westlake, oh for them to fix the current ignition recall and made mention of the power steering being the main issue. The timing of the other recall was purely coincidental. When I came to pick up my car I was told they've "heard of issues but nothing has been official so there's nothing we can do." So, here I am trying to get this process going. There's no way I'm the only one affected at this point.

- Garfield Heights, OH, USA

Jun 022014

Cobalt 4-cyl

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch and several other problems with vehicle. The consumer the vehicle was taken to the dealer, several times. Three times, for the ignition. The steering module, struts, and control arms were replace. The drive train was in the process of failing.

- Duncan Falls, OH, USA

Oct 142010

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the vehicle began to vibrate and veer to the right. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 38,859 and the current mileage was 100,000.

- Cleveland, TN, USA

May 142014

Cobalt

I was driving and had to pull to the side of the road because the lights kept on going from dim to bright and the automatic lights kept on switching up and down real fast and the car just lost its powersteering there is a strong smell of gas coming from the car and when I put gas in it takes a few minutes to actually crank back up. Im afraid while driving fast the electric problems will cause serious harm. There was a recent recall on this model and all the problems I stated and I need them fixed.

- Tyler, TX, USA

Mar 012014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while traveling 25 mph, the steering wheel failed and became hard to turn. The steering warning alarm activated while the failure occurred. The vehicle was previously serviced under NHTSA campaign number 10V073000 (steering) where the steering motor was replaced however, the failure was not corrected. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who replaced the power steering motor. The manufacturer was contacted but denied any assistance with the repair. The approximate failure mileage was 29,000 and the current mileage was 97,000.

- Oak Lawn, IL, USA

Mar 012009

Cobalt 4-cyl

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch problems. The consumer stated she experienced several incidents, with the ignition switch sticking and not being able to turn the key, including the first day she brought the vehicle home. Over the years, the switch has failed, which left her stranded. The vehicle was taken to the dealer many times, but they never replaced any components regarding the lock cylinder or switch. Updated 05/14/14. The consumer stated she was unable to shift the vehicle into gear. Updated 06/26/14 the electric power steering motor was replaced. Updated 07/10/14 updated 07/30/14 the consumer stated the vehicle was fixed. Updated 09/02/14

- Eastpointe, MI, USA