2009 Chevrolet Cobalt steering NHTSA complaints: Steering

NHTSA — Steering Problems

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt (Page 1 of 5)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Sep 012011

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. While traveling approximately 20 mph, another vehicle crashed into the front of the vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the air bag system was faulty and the vehicle was repaired. In addition, while entering the highway and attempting to make a right turn, the vehicle veered to the left and into oncoming traffic. As a result, a second vehicle crashed into the front driver side of the vehicle. No injuries were reported and no police report was filed. After restarting the engine, the vehicle operated as normal. Also, the contact indicated that fuel was leaking from the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed and repaired the failure. No information was available regarding the diagnosis. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Summerfield, NC, USA

Oct 212014

Cobalt

I was on my way home and it was raining on the expressway but by the time I got to the city I live it had stop. I was exiting the expressway and was turning a left on the street I live on. I had made my turn at about 30 mph and after I had made my turn the car was straight for awhile then all the sudden the car acted up and the steering wheel or the wheels or something happen that made my car make a sharp U-turn going in front of ongoing traffic. My car went straight in front of a car and she didn't have time to stop so she hit me and we both went onto the island. I have no idea what happened but luckily we were both going slow that none of us were hurt but our cars were in bad conditions. I'm looking at 3,000 damage on my car, and probably 4,000 damage to her car. I want to say it was bc of the rain, but the road wasn't wet and I just got new tires and just got a oil change. I maintain my car very well so I have no idea why that would happen.

- Edinburg, TX, USA

Oct 092014

Cobalt

On Thursday October 9th, 2014 I was driving East on rt 70. It began to rain heavily at approximately 4:50pm and I attempted to use the breaks on my vehicle. The breaks were suddenly very stiff. I didn't think they were working. I was in the left lane when this occurred and immediately put on my emergency lights and tried to move to the middle lane, to the right lane so I could go to the shoulder. When I attempted to switch the lanes, the power steering wasn't working. I managed to move the steering wheel slightly so that I could switch lanes. There was oncoming traffic before an available shoulder so I tried to speed up. I was unable to increase my speed. I was able to slow down naturally but I wasn't able to completely stop until I got to the shoulder and pushed extremely hard on the breaks and held down on the break for several seconds. The radio was still working and the heater was blowing cold air. I was able to get the vehicle working again by turning the ignition to the off position and turning the ignition back on. I think my vehicle's engine turned off while I was driving. I have onstar on the vehicle and immediately pushed the button when I was unable to break properly with my vehicle. The lady I spoke with said that she was seeing some problem with my breaks but I took my vehicle to the local dealership the same day and they found no codes for my vehicle. The next day the dealership told me that they fixed the ignition recall on my vehicle and that might have fixed the issue. On two other occasions before the recall was announced, I had a similar issue and brought it into the dealership. They couldn't find anything wrong. This experience was terrifying and I'm just glad that I wasn't killed.

- Littleton , CO, USA

Oct 072014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 5 mph and attempting to make a left turn, the steering wheel seized without warning. The failure persisted after shutting off and restarting the vehicle. The failure occurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000.

- House Springs , MO, USA

Jul 122014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving various speeds, the steering wheel seized on numerous occasions. The dealer replaced the power steering motor. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 27,300. Updated 10/03/14

- Banger, PA, USA

Apr 082014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the engine was running while the key was out of the ignition, the vehicle was in park and the vehicle rolled away. The contact had received two notifications for NHTSA campaign number: 14V171000 (electrical system) and NHTSA campaign number: 10V073000(steering) however, the parts were not available. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 29,000.

- Burton, SC, USA

Aug 042014

Cobalt

I took the car into the dealership because of a noise on driver side near tire during low speed while going over a bumb. Dealer stated the steering column was bad. Replaced the part at a total cost of $874.62. There are several compliants about the steering column lower bearing that is failing on the NHTSA web site, with some indicating they had to replace this part multiple times. I feel the part is defective and should be recalled because it can cause the steering to seize and the operator will not be able to control the vehicle. I contacted the manufacturer and they took my compliant over the phone, but they most likely will not reimburse me for the repairs unless they determine the part is defective. I want this to further investigated because I fear the new part can fail at any time causing a crash and a potential fatality.

- Hebron, KY, USA

Jun 192014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 10V073000 (electric power steering). The contact stated that the proper recall repairs were not completed on the vehicle. The contact stated that on the dealers invoice indicated that the power steering motor was replaced and not the electric power steering motor. The dealer stated that the column kit needed to be replaced in order for the power steering motor to operate correctly. The contact did not experience a failure.

- Saluda, SC, USA

May 052014

Cobalt

www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/03/31/GM-recall-steering/7127117/ this recall covers 2010 but I had a power steering replacement in January 2011 from a 2010 recall www-ODI.NHTSA.dot.gov/recalls/recallresults.cfm?start=1&searchtype=quicksearch&rcl_id=10V073000 the new recall only indicates 2010 and "some previously recalled vehicles" I took my car in early may to my dealership, pat O'brien Chevrolet in westlake, oh for them to fix the current ignition recall and made mention of the power steering being the main issue. The timing of the other recall was purely coincidental. When I came to pick up my car I was told they've "heard of issues but nothing has been official so there's nothing we can do." So, here I am trying to get this process going. There's no way I'm the only one affected at this point.

- Garfield Heights, OH, USA

Jun 022014

Cobalt 4-cyl

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch and several other problems with vehicle. The consumer the vehicle was taken to the dealer, several times. Three times, for the ignition. The steering module, struts, and control arms were replace. The drive train was in the process of failing.

- Duncan Falls, OH, USA

Oct 142010

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the vehicle began to vibrate and veer to the right. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 38,859 and the current mileage was 100,000.

- Cleveland, TN, USA

May 142014

Cobalt

I was driving and had to pull to the side of the road because the lights kept on going from dim to bright and the automatic lights kept on switching up and down real fast and the car just lost its powersteering there is a strong smell of gas coming from the car and when I put gas in it takes a few minutes to actually crank back up. Im afraid while driving fast the electric problems will cause serious harm. There was a recent recall on this model and all the problems I stated and I need them fixed.

- Tyler, TX, USA

Mar 012014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while traveling 25 mph, the steering wheel failed and became hard to turn. The steering warning alarm activated while the failure occurred. The vehicle was previously serviced under NHTSA campaign number 10V073000 (steering) where the steering motor was replaced however, the failure was not corrected. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who replaced the power steering motor. The manufacturer was contacted but denied any assistance with the repair. The approximate failure mileage was 29,000 and the current mileage was 97,000.

- Oak Lawn, IL, USA

Mar 012009

Cobalt 4-cyl

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch problems. The consumer stated she experienced several incidents, with the ignition switch sticking and not being able to turn the key, including the first day she brought the vehicle home. Over the years, the switch has failed, which left her stranded. The vehicle was taken to the dealer many times, but they never replaced any components regarding the lock cylinder or switch. Updated 05/14/14. The consumer stated she was unable to shift the vehicle into gear. Updated 06/26/14 the electric power steering motor was replaced. Updated 07/10/14 updated 07/30/14 the consumer stated the vehicle was fixed. Updated 09/02/14

- Eastpointe, MI, USA

Mar 012014

Cobalt 4-cyl

Vehicle was being towed behind class a motorhome. Key was in the accessory position; transmission (automatic) was in the neutral position; fuse block:8 (ignition switch, pass-key III+) was removed to prevent battery drain; per vehicle manual for dinghy towing. Traveling on interstate 45; 95 miles South of dallas, tx. Nothing was hit when traveling. Both front tires blew out, subsequently ruining both front tires and wheels. There is no apparent reason why this happened. Was wondering if this may be connected with current safety recall on ignition problem on Chevrolet Cobalt. The key chain had three keys and the key fob attached.

- Lewistown, MT, USA

Apr 302014

Cobalt 4-cyl

My wife tried to start the car on 4/30/14. Put the key in the ignition and try to turn the key to start the car the key wouldn't turn. It was locked up. The steering wheel wouldn't turn, the engine wouldn't run. Eventually if she comes back after approx. One hour and try again the key will turn in the ignition and the car will start. This happens couple of time a year since we bought the car brand new from the dealer. We contacted the dealer service department; they told us that they do not know of any such problem with this Chevy model.

- Reading, PA, USA

Dec 292009

Cobalt 4-cyl

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to steering column problems. The consumer stated part of the steering column was replaced 4 times, since the vehicle was purchased new in 2009. The problem was originally noticed as a rattle in the dashboard area in December 2009. The steering column was replaced. A similar noise returned in October 2010, where the steering rack and pinion input bearing was replaced, and on March 30, 2011, the steering column was replaced again. In February 2014, the rattle returned for the 4th time and the steering column was replaced. On November 2, 2011 the consumer attempted to turn off the vehicle, but was unable to do so. The dealer replaced the ignition switch. The old switch had completely apart inside the steering column.

- Yuma, AZ, USA

Jun 152012

Cobalt 4-cyl

It will not let me type in the affected part. It was the ignition. The car was sitting still and the ignition would not shut off. The key could be removed and replaced and could be turned, but it would not shut down.. I had to call aaa to have them come to remove the battery cable, (I had to go online to find out where the battery was located) (because even my aaa did not know where it was. We then had aaa tow the vehicle to the dealership in laurel, md and they said that the ignition had fallen apart. They put another ignition in, however, I wonder if it is out of the same batch that is causing problems now. They also did something to the electric power steering at the same time.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Apr 092014

Cobalt 4-cyl

When I was pulling into a nursing home making a right hand turn the cars steering went and it was pulling me all the way to the right and almost crashed in parking lot I had to gain control N force the steering wheel to go back straight.

- Manchester, NJ, USA

Apr 012014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the steering wheel failed numerous times while driving. The power steering warning light illuminated when the failure occurred and the steering wheel was hard to turn. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 14V153000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 53, 000.

- West Planis , MO, USA