2.4

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments

Jun 182014

Cobalt 4-cyl

Between approx 45 and 60 mph vehicle sounds as if driving over rumble strips. Will stop vibrating intermittently above 60 mph. Vibration is felt from front passenger side. The steering wheel does not sway. No trouble shifting. Between 3 mechanics have been given 3 different answers: Loose body part vibrating in wind, suspension, transmission. Had balance and alignment checked with no issues. Contacted GM dealer to check recalls and other known issues, none found. No previous symptoms, vehicle drove normally until 6/18. Do not currently drive vehicle out of fear of something breaking or falling apart. Am still trying to get diagnosed.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Aug 042014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I took the car into the dealership because of a noise on driver side near tire during low speed while going over a bump. Dealer stated the steering column was bad. Replaced the part at a total cost of $874.62. There are several complaints about the steering column lower bearing that is failing on the NHTSA web site, with some indicating they had to replace this part multiple times. I feel the part is defective and should be recalled because it can cause the steering to seize and the operator will not be able to control the vehicle. I contacted the manufacturer and they took my compliant over the phone, but they most likely will not reimburse me for the repairs unless they determine the part is defective. I want this to further investigated because I fear the new part can fail at any time causing a crash and a potential fatality.

- Hebron, KY, USA

Jun 022014

Cobalt 4-cyl

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch and several other problems with vehicle. The consumer the vehicle was taken to the dealer, several times. Three times, for the ignition. The steering module, struts, and control arms were replace. The drive train was in the process of failing.

- Duncan Falls, OH, USA

Jul 252013

Cobalt 4-cyl

I took my 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt 1lt sedan to the dealership from where I purchased it from today to get my vehicle inspected as required per my state. Prior to today, for about the past week or so, my check engine light came on. Went to autozone and they ran a diagnostic on it saying a cam shaft position sensor needed replacement. Replaced it and check engine light went away for about a week then came back on. (replaced both of the sensors to be safe) check engine light would turn off for days then randomly come on. Went to dealership and they stated I needed a new front right strut since mine's was leaking. Called up a few other mechanics and they have said this is a common issue with Cobalts. If you google "Cobalt strut leaking", there are many results, yet no recall. This isn't just common in my vehicle's model year but with all Cobalts. I feel there should be a recall since this is common among this make/model.

- White Haven, PA, USA

Jun 112012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Car is pulling to the left and had car alignment done and new tires put on. Still pulling to the left and hear rattling noise in the steering column when turning to the left and when speed at 50 mph. It also rattles when I slow down to stop. This is not safe for me or my family. This should be recalled immediately. Took car to mechanic diagnosis is the steering column. Production error. I am not going to be paying high cost for something that should be recalled and fault of a production error.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Sep 012011

Cobalt 4-cyl

Vehicle is making weird front end noises, knocking, rattles, shakes in the steering column, vibrations when driving on the driver side behind the steering wheel and in the floor, tires are making a noise when driving like something is hanging.

- San Jose , CA, USA