2010 Chevrolet Cobalt electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2010 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 162014

Cobalt

Me encontraba manejando mi carro en cuestion sobre la long beach blv. Y la market street cuando de repente el timon del carro SE puso duro Y SE me hacia dificil maniobrar el carro Y no podia controlar el timo npor lo duro que estaba. SE prendio una luz en la pantalla del carro que me decia power steering. Y solo con mucho esfuerzo pude parquearme en una calle Y apagar el carro.hiba con mi hija de 9 anos Y nos dimos gran susto.el carro hoy 17 de abril 2014 lo lleve al chevronlet de harbor.telefono 562 4248116.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Mar 292014

Cobalt

I was turning left driving toward a store & as soon as I came out of the turn the car turned completely off & not even the gauges flashed.the driver behind me almost hit me due to the sudden stop because of complete loss of power and control. I stepped on the brakes & shifted it into nutral trying to start it & it took me several attempts to get it to crank up again. I turned into a parking lot just for the car to turn off once more. After I cranked it up again it was fine. Car had issues before over the years; it seemed to have loss of power put regained it in an instant; was taken to dealership, incident could not be duplicated. Car had recall for electric power steering assist soon after I purchased it on May 29, 2010. Found out recently about one recall for ignition switch when I took car to dealer on April 4, 2014 for an oil change. Called GM and they confirmed with my VIN # that there was another recall for the eps even though it had been replaced in 2010. Yesterday third recall for the ignition switch key lock. I was also informed by GM hq, when I talked to them a fourth time, that they were not sure which Cobalts 2010 had eps problem, that does not reflect the answers I received on three other occasions from GM hq's executive office. My dealers system does not reflect same recalls then GM's. I was told that "the dealers got the memos and had probably not got to them to read them yet." I saw what was on their computer. GM is not being truthful and I am starting to suspect that they used another part with the same part number with the eps problem and therefore they can not determine which Cobalt is affected. GM is not being truthful and is being negligent in informing the dealers and the vehicle owners ( I have not gotten any recall notices in the mail). Breach of contract. Sold faulty vehicle to me with knowledge of faulty part(s) on May 29, 2010.

- Fayetteville , NC, USA

Apr 102014

Cobalt

The turn signal lever is not consistently working any more. It sometimes will not activate the turn signals upon demand. The lever has to be pushed on or jiggled the then then lights operate. It sometimes turns on the turn signals after the turn is complete at the lever automatically moves back to the neutral position. The two main drivers of this vehicle have both observed this problem.

- Bennington, VT, USA

Dec 292012

Cobalt

Vicenza, italy. Roads were clear and it was 12am, not many cars were on the road. I was headed to work and as I was coming into a small traffic circle, the car began drifting, I let go of everything and the whole thing shut off: Engine and lights. Another car was coming in but noticed I was drifting so they slowed down. I was headed into a ramp and tried to stop with my breaks which didn't work. I tried restarting the car but the key was stuck. I tried turning the wheel, but that was stuck. I finally got the car to somewhat slow down with the emergency break, and barely missed the ramp. I had recently had an oil change and my breaks checked, so I know my car was fine. It later happened again a few months later. Very similar situations. I have new tires and had my axles inspected, I know there is something wrong with my car and it is not safe. The most recent one was a few months ago at 0600. I used my breaks because an animal jumped in front of the car. The car slowed down, then the gas wouldn't work, the steering wheel locked and I almost hit another car as I struggled to turn it and the breaks would not work. The car then completely shut off and I was stuck with the car not waning to start. I took it to get inspected again, and thy said it was fine. I don't know who else to contact since GMC here and stateside, and he dealership I purchased it from in the states, are ignoring me.

- Apo, AE, USA

Apr 042014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) and stated that the remedy part was unavailable to perform the repair. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Apr 012014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated while starting the vehicle the air bag warning indicator remained illuminated. There was a recall under NHTSA campaign id number 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) and the part needed was unavailable to perform the repair. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 23,800.

- Fulton, NY, USA

Mar 302014

Cobalt

The cruise control works sometimes then for no reason will cut off and stop working. In the last 8 days when I start up the car to drive and get on the road, sever shaking of the car like a flat tire or the front end was out of alignment. The first time I called on starr for assistance. They found nothing wrong? it stopped both times after about 8 min of driving. It was scarry. When I park the car the dial hands on the dash the tac. And the speed dial jump like a shortage in it. Not long after I bought the car, the power steering failed with me and the car shut off several times. I took it to vidalia ga for repair. They gave it back to me and said if it happened again to push the info button and restart the car. I am scared of my car. Help me please.

- Mount Vernon, GA, USA

Mar 222014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the horn activated independently. The contact inspected the vehicle and found that the lower area of the steering wheel and the dashboard were on fire. The contact was able to extinguish the fire however, the fire department arrived on scene to assist. The fire department advised that the fire was caused by an electrical failure, and disconnected the wiring for the horn. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was towed to a salvage yard for further inspection. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure and current mileage was 98,000.

- Bristow , OK, USA

Mar 052012

Cobalt

The power steering light comes on and makes it hard to turn, it comes on suddenly and go back out after about 1 or 2 minutes. I was told that there is a recall on these cars for that reason but I haven't received a letter yet. This is so dangerous. I didn't know it had electric power steering

- Tuscaloosa, AL, USA

Oct 162012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the key became stuck in the ignition switch. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis, who advised that the lock tumbler was fractured and the entire ignition assembly would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact also referenced NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) however, the 2010 model year was not included in the recall. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 26,000. The current mileage was 54,000.

- St Peters, MO, USA

Feb 042014

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the key was not able to be removed from the ignition and the engine was unable to be turned off. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who diagnosed that the ignition lock cylinder would need replacing. The dealer suggested detaching the wiring if the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 57742. Updated 4/22/14 updated 04/25/2014

- Delavan , WI, USA

Feb 142013

Cobalt

TL- the contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated while driving 55 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they were unable to diagnose the cause of failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure but could not provide a remedy. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 10,000. Rk updated 03/31/14

- Norwalk, OH, USA

Dec 192013

Cobalt 4-cyl

Ignition switch stuck in the on position. Car will not cut off without choking the motor with the clutch. I have seen numerous complaints of this occurring on various different forums. It seems to be a very common problem.

- Mocksville, NC, USA

Sep 112013

Cobalt 4-cyl

While driving my vehicle home from work during rush hour on a busy highway my power steering failed. My vehicle started to veer to the left and I had to use all of my effort to keep from hitting the concrete guard rail. I immediately slowed and proceeded to the shoulder. This was a very scary situation and I feel that my safety was compromised. I have since done some research and found that there is a recall for this exact problem already in place, but for some reason it goes by the VIN of the car. I would like to find out how I could either get my VIN added to this list or to get help with this situation.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Aug 282013

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the key became stuck in the ignition while trying to shut the vehicle off. The battery had to be disconnected to shut the vehicle off. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The dealer stated the ignition cylinder was defective. The dealer replaced the ignition cylinder with a redesigned ignition cylinder. The failure mileage was 48,000. Updated 10/17/13 the consumer recieved a refund check for a portion of the repair cost. Updated 10/25/2013

- White Lake, MI, USA

Jul 212013

Cobalt 4-cyl

I was driveing alone and the power steering mesage came up on the displayand lost power steering. This has happen every time I get in the car knowit had a recall they said it was done before I purshased it new at dealerand its doing exactly what the recall said would happen in time if I had not had the recall done. And there saying it was replaced once and now its mine sounds like the recall was a joke.

- Pearl, MS, USA

Jun 012013

Cobalt 4-cyl

I was driving in the highway and the power steering gave a warning with a sound suddenly the steering was hard to move and I have to reduce the speed because I was afraid to crash with this problem. I park the car and shut off the engine and turn it on again, but after 2minutes driving it the power steering once again stop working. I decided to go to the deqaler and left the car telling them there is a recall for the power steering.they took the car and after two days they said that the car wasnt include it in the recall. Now I have this problem and making payment and in top of that with a broken car. GM need to step up and take responsiblity for what they make.year 2010 and already giving a lot of troubles. Also the dealer where I bouht the car didnt said nothing about this problem. United auto sale from new hartford, NY need to be more honest when they want to sale a car with many problems like this.they only care to sell you a car and nothing else. Also GM need to stop making car with so many recall like this one or fix the recall and move on. Im speaking also for many people who encounter the same problem like me.

- Rome, NY, USA

Jun 032013

Cobalt 4-cyl

While beginning to turn at a corner my power steering light came on making it very difficult to turn the steering wheel of the car. I called my husband and he said to pull over and turn the car off and restart. So I did but after driving a few more miles the power steering light came on again and this continued until I made it home.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jun 172013

Cobalt 4-cyl

Arrived at my destination and the key was stuck in the on position. I have a manual transmission and had to drop the clutch and stall it to kill the engine. Car is out of warranty by 1 month for bumper to bumper. Talked with my local dealer and after discussing it with GM said they would cover the $300-$400 repair with $100 deductible. I ordered an aftermarket ignition cylinder for $42 and replaced it myself. I found the spring for one of the tumblers popped out of place when I removed the original. Poor design.

- Nampa, ID, USA

Jun 062013

Cobalt 4-cyl

Driving at 35 mph and panel light comes on showing power steering. Steering becomes real hard making turning the vehicle extremely difficult to maneuver. Due to the excessive force needed to turn the vehicle slightly and the unexpected frequent occurrence of the problem, makes this a safety violation and could cause a crash or even a life. The dealer was contacted on this and I was told my particular VIN model number was not covered. I was also informed by the dealer that this problem was not occurring on 2010 models and that they had not received any complaints from owners of 2010 Cobalts. If this is the case, why are some 2010 models covered while others are not? I feel the dealer does not want to cover this recall even though it is a safety hazard and they are picking and choosing which vehicles to repair. If there is a recall, then the vehicle should be fixed. There is a recall and T he NHTSA should make them repair all 2010S needing this repair and the dealer should not have the option to pick and choose.

- Mesquite, TX, USA