2010 Chevrolet Cobalt electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2010 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 112013

Cobalt

While driving my vehicle home from work during rush hour on a busy highway my power steering failed. My vehicle started to veer to the left and I had to use all of my effort to keep from hitting the concrete guard rail. I immediately slowed and proceeded to the shoulder. This was a very scary situation and I feel that my safety was compromised. I have since done some research and found that there is a recall for this exact problem already in place, but for some reason it goes by the VIN of the car. I would like to find out how I could either get my VIN added to this list or to get help with this situation.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Aug 282013

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the key became stuck in the ignition while trying to shut the vehicle off. The battery had to be disconnected to shut the vehicle off. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The dealer stated the ignition cylinder was defective. The dealer replaced the ignition cylinder with a redesigned ignition cylinder. The failure mileage was 48,000. Updated 10/17/13 the consumer recieved a refund check for a portion of the repair cost. Updated 10/25/2013

- White Lake, MI, USA

Jul 212013

Cobalt 4-cyl

I was driveing alone and the power steering mesage came up on the displayand lost power steering. This has happen every time I get in the car knowit had a recall they said it was done before I purshased it new at dealerand its doing exactly what the recall said would happen in time if I had not had the recall done. And there saying it was replaced once and now its mine sounds like the recall was a joke.

- Pearl, MS, USA

Jun 012013

Cobalt 4-cyl

I was driving in the highway and the power steering gave a warning with a sound suddenly the steering was hard to move and I have to reduce the speed because I was afraid to crash with this problem. I park the car and shut off the engine and turn it on again, but after 2minutes driving it the power steering once again stop working. I decided to go to the deqaler and left the car telling them there is a recall for the power steering.they took the car and after two days they said that the car wasnt include it in the recall. Now I have this problem and making payment and in top of that with a broken car. GM need to step up and take responsiblity for what they make.year 2010 and already giving a lot of troubles. Also the dealer where I bouht the car didnt said nothing about this problem. United auto sale from new hartford, NY need to be more honest when they want to sale a car with many problems like this.they only care to sell you a car and nothing else. Also GM need to stop making car with so many recall like this one or fix the recall and move on. Im speaking also for many people who encounter the same problem like me.

- Rome, NY, USA

Jun 032013

Cobalt 4-cyl

While beginning to turn at a corner my power steering light came on making it very difficult to turn the steering wheel of the car. I called my husband and he said to pull over and turn the car off and restart. So I did but after driving a few more miles the power steering light came on again and this continued until I made it home.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jun 172013

Cobalt 4-cyl

Arrived at my destination and the key was stuck in the on position. I have a manual transmission and had to drop the clutch and stall it to kill the engine. Car is out of warranty by 1 month for bumper to bumper. Talked with my local dealer and after discussing it with GM said they would cover the $300-$400 repair with $100 deductible. I ordered an aftermarket ignition cylinder for $42 and replaced it myself. I found the spring for one of the tumblers popped out of place when I removed the original. Poor design.

- Nampa, ID, USA

Cobalt 4-cyl

Driving at 35 mph and panel light comes on showing power steering. Steering becomes real hard making turning the vehicle extremely difficult to maneuver. Due to the excessive force needed to turn the vehicle slightly and the unexpected frequent occurrence of the problem, makes this a safety violation and could cause a crash or even a life. The dealer was contacted on this and I was told my particular VIN model number was not covered. I was also informed by the dealer that this problem was not occurring on 2010 models and that they had not received any complaints from owners of 2010 Cobalts. If this is the case, why are some 2010 models covered while others are not? I feel the dealer does not want to cover this recall even though it is a safety hazard and they are picking and choosing which vehicles to repair. If there is a recall, then the vehicle should be fixed. There is a recall and T he NHTSA should make them repair all 2010S needing this repair and the dealer should not have the option to pick and choose.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that after attempting to turn off the ignition, the key would not turn and the contact was unable to shut off the engine. The contact had to disconnect the battery cable to shut off the engine. The vehicle was not taken to dealer for diagnostic testing and was not repaired. The failure was reported to the manufacturer. The failure and current mileage was 37,000.

- Portage , IN, USA

Cobalt 4-cyl

After parking the car (2010 Chevrolet Cobalt), the key would not come out of the ignition or turn to the off position. The car is a manual, so I had to stall it out and then unhook the battery to turn everything off. It is awaiting diagnosis at the mechanic.

- Bloomington, MN, USA

Jun 032013

Cobalt

Driving to work I noticed the steering became increasingly difficult to maneuver. I made it to work and called my local service center and was told it was an electrical issue. Online I looked up a few things and others with the same problem said it was approximately $1,200 to repair. I also saw where Chevrolet issued a recall back in 2010 for this vehicle and the press release stated that "this is a condition that takes time to develop" -- which is why it did not occur in my vehicle until 3 years later (this vehicle was purchased in April 2010). Can the recall still be used to obtain this repair?

- Reisterstown, MD, USA

May 122013

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that she attempted to power the vehicle off but the key would not turn in the ignition. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the ignition would have to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Apr 132013

Cobalt 4-cyl

The key is stuck in the ignition switch and will not shut off. Called Chevy and they will not stand behind it. All of the 2009's got recalled because of that incident, but they will do nothing for me about my 2010!! we did however, disconnect the battery so it wouldn't go dead! I bought a brand new car and now I am having issues, didn't buy a new car to have issues!!

- Elroy, WI, USA

Feb 282013

Cobalt 4-cyl

Started car normally. Went to turn it off. The key wouldn't turn off. Or come out of the ignition. I had to stall engine to turn it off. And disconnect the battery. I see, on the internet, a lot of people have had this issue. Dealership told me it was on me to pay for it.

- Camano Island, WA, USA

Aug 232010

Cobalt 4-cyl

In June 2010 I purchased 2 Cobalts. Less than 3 months later, my key was stuck in the on position and I could not shut the engine off. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the part. 1 year later, the 2nd Cobalt had the same issue. In July of 2012, it happened to my car again. In barely 2 years of owning theses cars, 3 incidents of the same issue occurred. Come to find out, the replacement part was also defective, yet there was no recall. I'm still waiting for the 2nd car to fail again like the first. I am appalled to say the least at GM for this issue. How can not being able to shut off your car's engine not be a recall" would if there was an accident involving other vehicles" my family has owned Chevy cars since I can remember. I was so looking forward to purchasing another car next year. Unfortunately I found out there were ac issues in the Cruze. Where I live, the summer temperature reaches an average of 115 degrees. Don't think I want a faulty ac. I am seriously contemplating trading my car in to another car company (not Chevy) to avoid this embarrassing mess.

- Surprise, AZ, USA

May 212012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Ignition lock cylinder failed.

- Holland, PA, USA

Jan 292012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Driving at approximately 10 -15 mph, the car completely lost power and stopped after making a left turn. A warning chime started and the information display showed "power steering". car was put back in park and restarted. Drove about two miles home and took it to the dealer the next morning. Updated 8/22/12 the electric power steering motor failed and had to be replaced. Updated 08/22/12

- Corona, CA, USA

Oct 112011

Cobalt

The ignition and key stuck so I was unable to turn off the car.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Sep 272011

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact attempted to turn the vehicle off but the key would not turn in the ignition and became stuck. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 13,442.

- Stratford, CT, USA

Feb 202011

Cobalt

On the morning of February 20th, I was driving back to my boyfriends house from work. I got off around 7:30 am so it was around 8 am when I reached the exit for his house. I slowed the car to take the exit ramp to 40 mph with my foot still on the brake. The car then veered hard to the right and I tried to straighten out the wheel as I let off the brakes. Instead the car veered to the left and I started to hydroplane. I lost complete control of the car and began to spin. My steering wheel then locked up. As I was spinning, the right side of my car struck a light reflector pole and shattered my back passenger window in the pain and dented the car and removed paint. It also messed up my back alignment. For the first few minutes my car would not even start back up and the brakes were locked in place. I then had the car towed to my home dealership to be inspected. After inspecting the car, they said that no codes for power steering had popped up, yet they did not actually drive the car to see how it drove. Therefore, I had to pay out of pocket at a different dealership to have my car fixed.

- Dardenne Prairie, MO, USA

Apr 072011

Cobalt

I was driving a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt on Thursday morning April 17th around 4 am. I was driving on interstate 170 going South. The vehicle was being driven in the left lane going 65 mph. I was approaching the split-off where you can go onto 64 East or West. The Cobalt started to veer towards the right. I corrected it back to the left and that's when the vehicle went completely to the right and the steering locked up and I hit the middle divider that divides the ramps exit. The car was then towed and we are currently awaiting inspection.

- St Louis, MO, USA