2010 Chevrolet Cobalt miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2010 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments

Sep 132016

I received a recall notice on my Chevrolet vehicle and made an appointment for the recall work at ted britt Chevy in sterling, va. After two hours with the vehicle, the technician presented me with a list of repairs costing $1200+ that would need to be performed before the recall action could be taken. Not only were the issues suspect, but more importantly none of them precluded the recall work from being completed. The effort to shake down customers for elective, out-of-pocket repairs before a dealership performs a legally mandated action is clearly fraud.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

May 142016

While driving at 55mph on ca hwy 111, the engine just shut off. I was in busy fast moving traffic. Extremely dangerous. I had not changed anything nor did I have more than a single key on the key ring.

- Desert Hot Springs, CA, USA

May 062016

The driver's door speaker has stopped working. This appears to be a common problem reported on Chevy forums for all model year Cobalts. This problem creates safety concerns as all vehicle warning chimes and sounds are directed to the speaker on this door and are now non-functional. Particular concern is that the turn signal make no sound when activated. This can lead to an accident when no warning sound is generated when a driver unintentionally leaves a turn signal activated. This was report to Chevy (ref. 8-2076604032), but it does not appear they will be issuing a recall.

- Bangor, PA, USA

Apr 292016

When I got to red light tonight 4/29/2016, car started jerking as if it will cut off. Scary dont know what to do.dont have money for expensive repairs. Help.

- Saginaw, MI, USA

Jan 212016

Starting in 12/15, the traction control light was coming on intermittently, then also the ABS light. Per mechanic advice, I had a wheel bearing replaced. After that, lights were off, then began again several days later. My mechanic said I should replace the opposite bearing to even out the traction sensor. 1/21/16 I was driving down a hill, tapped the brake, felt something lock up in the front end and careened across the road into some trees. I asked my insurance co about this, and notified Chevy too. Nobody seemed interested in pursuing the cause of the accident- totaled the car. Thank god I wasn't hurt badly and nobody else was involved. I know they don't want to bother with me because I am small potatoes. I feel I should at very least be reimbursed for the repairs I had done and pay for my new (used) vehicle for my trouble. I think my driving record, my familiarity with the road and the knowledge my mechanic has of my problem plus the fact that many others have had the same problems as I saw on line should provide me some help.

- Delevan, NY, USA

Dec 062015

We attempted to manually lock and unlock 2 passenger side doors, and now the rear lock doesn't work, and the rear door also doesn't open at all, from inside or outside. In the front, the door can still be opened but the lock has to be manually locked and unlocked. The drivers side 2 doors and power locks work ok. The vehicle was stopped when we manually locked and unlocked the passenger side doors.

- Kenmore, NY, USA

Oct 032014

Ran over a rock which did some damage to the underneath of my car....took it to Goodyear because it was closest.they "worked on it to the tune of over $7,000 and the engine light has continued to come on since the day I drive it home, which I pointed out to them before driving away I have gone back numerous times only to be told that things will be okay, but if the engine light starts blinking to get it to them asap. I don't know how to download photos or documents.

- Grove City, OH, USA

Aug 112015

No warning chimes and no turn single chime. Several weeks ago I lost all warning chimes on my car. So at this time I have no chimes for 1. seat belts not buckled. Door ajar. 3. low or flat tire. 4. no turn single chime. In fact non of the chimes are now working.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Sep 232015

Good afternoon, I have a few concerns about my vehicle and have contacted Chevrolet and the attorney general but they have now directed my questions/concerns to you. My vehicle is now on its sixth recall. Every time I have to bring my car in for work, I have to take time off of work and the car dealerships I'm required to bring my car into do not have loaner vehicles. However, my primary concern is this is my only vehicle and I am a single mom. These recalls are disconcerting and within the letters have openly stated that these defects, flaws or problems have caused deaths. My son is my everything and it is my job to protect him. When I contacted the company to ask how many recalls does it take to make a vehicle ineffective in regards to, do they stand behind their products" I was then directed to you. The individual I spoke to said they do not work in lemon laws but what about safety laws? what about standing behind their product" what about protecting those individuals that have bought their products and have now had multiple recalls that have the ability to make the vehicle inoperable and potentially life threatening. If I had the funds I would buy a different vehicle. I bought this vehicle because I thought it was safe and good on gas mileage. I do not have any extra funds to buy another vehicle. My concern is for the safety of my son and myself and I am appalled that a company does not seem to stand behind its product after this many recalls. Please help,

- Elizabeth , CO, USA

Jul 102012

In 2012 I had an incident, my key was stuck in the ignition with the car running. I took it to the dealer, the ignition lock cylinder was removed, and they found the spring hold down plate was off and the spring was out of the cylinder, they replaced the ignition lock cylinder. Then, the recall happened and in Feb of 2015 I had to bring my car in for the product safety recall, they replaced the ignition and start switch. In may or June 2015 I noticed that my car was acting weird, the speedometer was acting erratic jumping from 30 to 60 then back down to 20. It was jumping all over the place even when the car was just idling then it would stall out. I took it in to the dealer the last week of June or the 1st week of July, they changed the module panel and said it was under warranty. I drove my car out of state on July 17th, on the way home it started acting up again, the engine seemed to lose power when getting on the highway, the speedometer was acting all erratic and the car was bucking like it wanted to stall. When I got home I brought it back to the dealer on July 28th, the car was there all day but they said they could not replicate the issue so when I got off work I went up there and the tech took a ride with me, the car acted up and he got to see what it was doing, he mentioned something about a cluster panel to the service manager but said he had to check with GM. On Friday the 31st of 2015 they put in another ignition thinking the other may have been faulty. The tech called me to see how the car was running an hour later, the car was doing the same exact thing. I am taking it in tommorrow Aug 3rd but I'm not sure what will happen. My car has 59,800 miles and I just paid it off on July 31, 2015 it is unsafe to drive. While idling the speedometer jumped to 120 mph then stalled out. It stalls out at lights and stop signs and tries to stall when I am driving,

- Swanton, VT, USA

Oct 012014

I have been trying to get my recalled ignition fixed. In the brochure that they sent me to notify me it says that I will get a complimentary vehicle while mine is fixed. I called 2 dealers one in burlingame and one in colma and they were rude as if I were asking a favor and told me I would have to rent a car that they don't give complimentary vehicles. In March I called their 800 number 1-800-222-1020 they gave me the runaround and told me they would call me back. I want this to be proof that I am trying to get my vehicle fixed in case an accident happens because of the recall parts and they say it is my fault for not trying to get it fixed.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Dec 242010

Cobalt 4-cyl

Investigation: This is the initial report of the motor vehicle accident. They found the victim deceased in the motor vehicle, caused by the defective Chevy Cobalt. According to the police report, the fatal accident was due to poor pre-trip preparation by consuming alcoholic beverages and poor driving strategy. Updated 04/09/14

- Hastings, MI, USA

Jan 172013

The driver's side door will not open! it appears that the handle is not "attached" to anything. Yet on looking into the incident online there are reports of this happening, and the "solution" is to band your hand on the outside of the door to release it. The first time this worked, however it is only after climbing out of the vehicle from the opposite side to do this. Being someone is in an accident or unable to crawl across the car and out an opposite door, they will most likely perish or become wounded from not being able to exit their car. Fatalaities. Is this what it will take for them to acknowlege there is a problem?? this is a serious matter and needs to be addressed.

- Dayton, TN, USA

Jun 072012

Cobalt 4-cyl

This car started losing power on the hwy around 60mph now the problem has grown to car losing power and dying on the hwy at 60 mph and different speeds while the steering locks when car dies I have reported the problem to GM and it has been in and out of the shop for a month and they can not find out what the problem is this problem could cause me to be rear ended or wreck as the steering locks when the car dies maybe you can help me I fear for my safety and for others on the road with me.

- Bogard, MO, USA

Jul 082010

Cobalt 4-cyl

I purchased the vehicle in February 2010 and I didn't start noticing problems till around summer but they were not that bad till September were the car started showing strange electrical and steering issue. I received the recall letter in October and had the power steering issue fixed but its still have issues were the vehicle will swerve back and forth in return I will have to keep my hands on the steering wheel to try to keep it from hitting other vehicles on the highway. Then the blower motor that blows the hot and cold air sometimes istatically revs up high and I have to turn of the heater. Also I have noticed that the brakes squeal and I only have 10,300 miles. I have also noticed that the needles on the gauges in the dash tend to twitch radically when I turn the vehicle off sometimes. Then at times the car when turned on will start to act as if it was to shut off and the lights would all dim and then it would stabilize. It has done that on the highway making steering difficult at times. The engine as well had made knocking noises to its been an off and on thing.

- Berea, OH, USA