2010 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2010 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 4 of 10)

Mar 192014

Cobalt 4-cyl

Driving on freeway the power steering light came on and loss of power steering. Difficult to drive. Has been going on and off ever since. No recall for my VIN number but I have read lots of problems with power steering on this type of vehicle.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Feb 012013

Cobalt 4-cyl

Steering wheel makes a lot squeaking noises and crunching sounds when I turn or am going over rough pavment.

- Medford, OR, USA

Mar 292014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I was turning left driving toward a store & as soon as I came out of the turn the car turned completely off & not even the gauges flashed.the driver behind me almost hit me due to the sudden stop because of complete loss of power and control. I stepped on the brakes & shifted it into neutral trying to start it & it took me several attempts to get it to crank up again. I turned into a parking lot just for the car to turn off once more. After I cranked it up again it was fine. Car had issues before over the years; it seemed to have loss of power put regained it in an instant; was taken to dealership, incident could not be duplicated. Car had recall for electric power steering assist soon after I purchased it on May 29, 2010. Found out recently about one recall for ignition switch when I took car to dealer on April 4, 2014 for an oil change. Called GM and they confirmed with my VIN # that there was another recall for the eps even though it had been replaced in 2010. Yesterday third recall for the ignition switch key lock. I was also informed by GM hq, when I talked to them a fourth time, that they were not sure which Cobalts 2010 had eps problem, that does not reflect the answers I received on three other occasions from GM hq's executive office. My dealers system does not reflect same recalls then GM's. I was told that "the dealers got the memos and had probably not got to them to read them yet." I saw what was on their computer. GM is not being truthful and I am starting to suspect that they used another part with the same part number with the eps problem and therefore they can not determine which Cobalt is affected. GM is not being truthful and is being negligent in informing the dealers and the vehicle owners ( I have not gotten any recall notices in the mail). Breach of contract. Sold faulty vehicle to me with knowledge of faulty part(s) on May 29, 2010.

- Fayetteville , NC, USA

Jan 252013

My girlfriend and I were driving down the interstate early one morning. There was no rain or bad road conditions and prays god hardly any traffic at all. One minute everything was fine and within a split second there was a loud thud below our feet. My girlfriend lost control of the vehicle and we were thrown across the middle of the interstate and slammed into the guard cables which at that point in time the air bags deployed. The guard cables catapulted us back across the interstate were we was finally able to get the car stopped. The first question out of the Arkansas state troopers and the local county officers mouths to us was, "what happened to your whole driver side wheel"". the trooper went on to explain that this was obviously not a "blowout" due to the fact there was absolutely no trash on the road or off the road the road they would be consistent with a blow out. That's when we told him the car had been taken to the Chevrolet dealership were the car was purchased not 9 days prior to the accident and the wheels and tires and been rotated, the oil changed and an inspection completed on the car and they tried to say everything checked out ok. Well now just as a passenger I have 2 fractured vertebrae in my back, cant sleep, had to quit school and I have no idea of which way to turn to get the help I need. Friends please be careful driving these cars. Please. I feel like this is a Chevrolet malfunction or defective part. Now what do I do"

- Benton, AR, USA

Jan 012013

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number 14V153000 (steering) did not correct the failure. The contact received an error warning message. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer; however, the dealer stated there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. The contact also stated that the engine stalled before the recall notification was received the contact was able to control the steering wheel with force and was able to restart the vehicle. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 71,000 and the approximate current mileage was 74,000. The consumer stated she had no power steering, or brakes. Updated 08/27/14

- Toledo , OH, USA

Dec 292012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Vicenza, italy. Roads were clear and it was 12am, not many cars were on the road. I was headed to work and as I was coming into a small traffic circle, the car began drifting, I let go of everything and the whole thing shut off: Engine and lights. Another car was coming in but noticed I was drifting so they slowed down. I was headed into a ramp and tried to stop with my brakes which didn't work. I tried restarting the car but the key was stuck. I tried turning the wheel, but that was stuck. I finally got the car to somewhat slow down with the emergency brake, and barely missed the ramp. I had recently had an oil change and my brakes checked, so I know my car was fine. It later happened again a few months later. Very similar situations. I have new tires and had my axles inspected, I know there is something wrong with my car and it is not safe. The most recent one was a few months ago at 0600. I used my breaks because an animal jumped in front of the car. The car slowed down, then the gas wouldn't work, the steering wheel locked and I almost hit another car as I struggled to turn it and the breaks would not work. The car then completely shut off and I was stuck with the car not waning to start. I took it to get inspected again, and thy said it was fine. I don't know who else to contact since GMC here and stateside, and he dealership I purchased it from in the states, are ignoring me.

- Apo, AE, USA

Feb 142014

Cobalt 4-cyl

Power steering shuts off while driving. Turns back on again when the car is turned off and back on. No pattern or explanation to when it goes off. Has been happening continually since initial date but does not happen every time I drive.

- Woonsocket, RI, USA

Mar 222014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I drive a 2010 Chevy Cobalt, the cars cruise control will be turned off yet when getting to the last speed it was on it will turn back on, this happens almost every time that it is used.

- Science Hill , KY, USA

Mar 302014

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated as the steering wheel seized, making it difficult to turn. The vehicle was not taken for diagnosis or repairs. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 14V047000( air bags, electrical system). However, the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 37,753.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 142013

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 45 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn as the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the electric power steering motor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 10V073000 (steering). The approximate failure mileage was 78,000 and the current mileage was 84,000.

- Addison , IL, USA

Mar 242014

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, an immediate loss of power steering occurred with the illumination of the warning indicator. The steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road where the engine was turned. After restarting, the vehicle resumed normally. In 2010, the vehicle was repaired under a recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 10V073000 (steering). The vehicle was currently being diagnosed by the dealer. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 81,100.

- New Lenox, IL, USA

Mar 052012

Cobalt 4-cyl

The power steering light comes on and makes it hard to turn, it comes on suddenly and go back out after about 1 or 2 minutes. I was told that there is a recall on these cars for that reason but I haven't received a letter yet. This is so dangerous. I didn't know it had electric power steering.

- Tuscaloosa, AL, USA

Feb 092014

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the power steering failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the electric steering motor had failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 10V073000 (steering). The failure mileage was 36,649.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Mar 132014

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the power steering assist failed as the power steering warning light illuminated and the steering wheel became hard to turn. The vehicle was driven onto the emergency lane where the engine was shut off. Once the contact restarted the vehicle, it resumed normally until later recurring. The vehicle was not inspected or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 26,145.

- Sillmore, CA, USA

Feb 092012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Had just picked up child at school when light and chime on panel displayed problem.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Sep 112012

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the vehicle power steering failed while driving approximately 35 mph. The vehicle independently traveled across both lanes, crashed into a curb and then into an embankment before stalling. The air bags failed to deploy and the vehicle was destroyed. The contact sustained injuries to the left side of the body and a police report was filed of the incident. The manufacturer inspected the vehicle and determined that the anti-lock brakes had failed however, did not provide a reason as to why the vehicle stalled. The approximate failure mileage was 45,744.

- Newville, PA, USA

Feb 242014

Cobalt 4-cyl

Vehicle steering tighten up. Check under hood for power steering stick check info center indicated pwr steering pulled over let a mechanic chk N google issue N fought tht it was a recall called classic Chevrolet gave my VIN said no recalls clked ge motor corporate office who then gave me Chevrolet csrv nbr spw rep who chk and said still no recall was found rep then suggest to have vehicle place on a diagnostic machine under my pwrtrain I had rdside assist still have to me however she said depending on the result frm diagnostic I my have to pay out of pocket. Well service rep cll told me it was power steering module is out. Its electric pwersteering it cost $ 362. To be fix. No choice car was picked up at a stranded location with the covered roadside assistant. Received my car bck on day 2 yet I still paid out of pocket tht clearly identify as a recll N electrical issue with or when driving the vehicle. I feel I shouldn't hve been charged and would like this to be handle promptly. 2010 Chevy Cobalt customer.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 292013

Cobalt 4-cyl

As I was driving home at approximately 30 mph my power steering light indicator appeared on the dash board and then suddenly it became very hard to steer my wheel. After it happened a few more times I decided to call Chevrolet dealership to ask if my particular car had been recalled and he said that the Chevrolet Cobalt 2010 was not recalled. As of 02/22/14 its been happening everyday and I have to constantly shut off the car and start it again in order for the steering to work again.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Feb 202014

Cobalt 4-cyl

Pulled into our development and the power steering went out, a power steering message displayed on the console. Car was very hard to steer. Made it home a turned car off. I called the dealer and made an appointment. Once we started the car we made it to the dealer with no incident. Chevy is now telling us we need a new power steering motor $392 and they said there is no recall on the Cobalt which I find very hard to believe. There are tons of reports about this on this site and in news reports all you need to do is google it.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Jan 012014

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the power steering suddenly failed while traveling various speeds. The contact also mentioned that the power steering warning light illuminated. The failure was not diagnosed nor was the vehicle repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 10V073000 (steering). The failure mileage was approximately 45,000.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA