2010 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2010 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 9 of 10)

Mar 042012

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while reversing out a residential garage, the steering wheel fractured. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who diagnosed that both the rack and pinion, the coil and the steering wheel were fractured and would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 48,000.

- Florissant , MO, USA

Mar 042012

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while attempting to park, the power steering assist failed without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who advised the contact that the power assist was locked by the computer and would need to be reset. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance to the contact. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and the current mileage was 17,000.

- Howell, NJ, USA

Feb 062012

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph the power steering stopped functioning. The contact was able to maintain control of the vehicle and stated that the failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the power steering circuit was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure, but offered no assistance since the vehicle was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 10V073000 (steering:electric power assist system). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 41,320 and the current mileage was 41,400.

- Springhill , FL, USA

Dec 142011

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the power steering light illuminated seconds before the power steering seized. The vehicle was then coasted the side of the road where it was turned off and once restarted the vehicle resumed normal operation but the failure recurred shortly thereafter. The dealer was contacted and they stated to the contact that they would have to diagnose the vehicle to determine the cause of the failure. The vehicle was neither diagnosed nor repaired. The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 90,000.

- Loganton, PA, USA

Dec 192011

Power steering went out.

- Naples, FL, USA

Nov 242011

Cobalt 4-cyl

Was driving as usual when all of a sudden the wheels started grabbing to the left, I pulled on steering wheel & then I noticed "power steering" light was on. By then the car had crossed one lane I slammed brakes on because I could not control the steering, & car came to rest in turning lane at which time I called on star, & local sheriffs office. When police arrived to help get car out of middle of road, a very large cop I might say, he was astounded at the difficulty he had at turning wheel so we could move car out of road. When cop #2 came up he was the one that told me that they had problems before with these cars. I googled it, then I pulled the power steering fuse out & luckily it reset computer so I could drive it to dealership to get it fixed. Now is next one they install going to be any safer? not from what I have read. Owe way too much on car to trade in now or I will be in the hole. So I am driving scared in a 1 year old car.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 082011

I have a new 2010 Cobalt and I now find that there is a problem with the steering, my Cobalt is not part of the power steering assist recall. I started noticing the problem while turning, I seem to loose power steering from time to time and I don't get a warning light. This happens at low speeds as well as at high speeds and when it does happen turning right or left is harder and the steering wheel seems stiff like I say seems like I loose power steering. I had it into the dealer to confirm that it was not part of the recall and they say there mechanics where unable to reproduce the issue so they say there is no problem and they checked the power steering assist and they did not see a problem with it. The tight steering happens on and off and does not seem to follow any pattern. I started noticing this problem at about 15K km. There was a noise in the front end and the GM mechanics says there was a problem with something in the steering column however it did fix the noise but the loss or what seems to be a loss of power steering control still there.

- Miramichi, 00, USA

Apr 052011

Cobalt 4-cyl

I was taking the bay area blvd exit traveling about 30 mph when I lost control of my power steering. I couldn't get the car to turn right causing me to run over the curb with the left side of my vehicle.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 172010

Cobalt 4-cyl

I was turning onto webster St when I suddenly lost my power steering causing me to hit a curb. There was quite a bit of damage done to the right side of my vehicle causing it to be inoperable.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 162011

Cobalt 4-cyl

2010 Chevrolet Cobalt electric power steering has failed, my VIN# is not part of recall. Part has failed at less than 7,000mi of service.

- Pleasanton, CA, USA

Jun 022011

The contact rented a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving the contact attempted to turn the steering wheel and it locked. The contact proceeded to loosen the wheel and the axle broke. The vehicle was towed to the rental facility. The contact was not notified whether the vehicle was repaired or not. The manufacturer stated there was a NHTSA recall campaign id number: 10V073000 (steering:electric power assist system) related to the failure, but the vehicle was not a part of the recall. The failure and current mileage was unavailable.

- Springfield, MA, USA

Apr 012011

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving at any speed, the contact stated that the vehicle was very difficult to steer. The dealer advised the contact that the vehicle was operating as designed. The manufacturer had not been notified of the failure. No repairs were performed. The current mileage is 13,000 and the failure mileage was 12,000. Updated 8/29/11 updated 09/21/11

- Biloxi, MS, USA

Sep 192010

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that when driving at any speed, the vehicle would pull to the left. The failure recurred whenever the vehicle was driven. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer six times where the contact was advised that the failure was caused by torque steer and there was no solution. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact called the manufacturer and made them aware of the failure. A complaint was filed but no other assistance was offered. The current mileage was approximately 6,400 and the failure mileage was 55.

- Bay City, MI, USA

Feb 202011

On the morning of February 20th, I was driving back to my boyfriends house from work. I got off around 7:30 am so it was around 8 am when I reached the exit for his house. I slowed the car to take the exit ramp to 40 mph with my foot still on the brake. The car then veered hard to the right and I tried to straighten out the wheel as I let off the brakes. Instead the car veered to the left and I started to hydroplane. I lost complete control of the car and began to spin. My steering wheel then locked up. As I was spinning, the right side of my car struck a light reflector pole and shattered my back passenger window in the pain and dented the car and removed paint. It also messed up my back alignment. For the first few minutes my car would not even start back up and the brakes were locked in place. I then had the car towed to my home dealership to be inspected. After inspecting the car, they said that no codes for power steering had popped up, yet they did not actually drive the car to see how it drove. Therefore, I had to pay out of pocket at a different dealership to have my car fixed.

- Dardenne Prairie, MO, USA

Apr 072011

I was driving a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt on Thursday morning April 17th around 4 am. I was driving on interstate 170 going South. The vehicle was being driven in the left lane going 65 mph. I was approaching the split-off where you can go onto 64 East or West. The Cobalt started to veer towards the right. I corrected it back to the left and that's when the vehicle went completely to the right and the steering locked up and I hit the middle divider that divides the ramps exit. The car was then towed and we are currently awaiting inspection.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Mar 252011

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 70 mph, the steering wheel began to move independently to the left causing the contact to momentarily lose control of the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where technician replaced the electronic steering motor. The failure recurred two weeks after the repair and the vehicle was towed a second time to the dealer where the contact was awaiting diagnosis. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 10V073000 (steering:electric power assist system) but the contact had not confirmed with the manufacturer if the vehicle was included in the recall. The approximate failure mileage was 32,000.

- Winslow, AZ, USA

Jan 132011

Cobalt 4-cyl

Driving at a slow speed 15-20 mph, was unable to turn the wheel, seems like it locked up. I could not pull the car away from veering into a concrete planter used to keep the traffic pattern in the parking lot. Vehicle sustained damage in the wheel, steering, radiator and body of the car. When the car was towed over to the dealer we were told that they were checking the VIN for the recall that was issued for many of these cars. After checking we found that there was a recall on this model up to March of 2010, ours we are told was built in April of 2010. Obviously, there were problems with the 2010 Cobalt since this was the last year they had production on this vehicle, we were not aware they had stopped the production of this model at the time we purchased this vehicle. We believe there was a manufacturing problem with this vehicle which may have lead to the steering issues we had on January 13. 2011. Updated 8/22/12

- Lancaster, NY, USA

Aug 222010

Cobalt 4-cyl

Back pass side door lock[2X], steering lockup, [factory recall] fuel guague/tacomentor bounceing, dealer replaced body control sensor, now cruize control quit working. Still not fixed, [cc]guagues still bouncing. GM tech from Corp, involved, to try to fix. In 3X's. total in 6X's,3 dirr car loaner/or rental, kept 2-days.had eye surgery at veterans hosp, had to find another ride.

- Masury, OH, USA

Jul 082010

Cobalt 4-cyl

I purchased the vehicle in February 2010 and I didn't start noticing problems till around summer but they were not that bad till September were the car started showing strange electrical and steering issue. I received the recall letter in October and had the power steering issue fixed but its still have issues were the vehicle will swerve back and forth in return I will have to keep my hands on the steering wheel to try to keep it from hitting other vehicles on the highway. Then the blower motor that blows the hot and cold air sometimes istatically revs up high and I have to turn of the heater. Also I have noticed that the brakes squeal and I only have 10,300 miles. I have also noticed that the needles on the gauges in the dash tend to twitch radically when I turn the vehicle off sometimes. Then at times the car when turned on will start to act as if it was to shut off and the lights would all dim and then it would stabilize. It has done that on the highway making steering difficult at times. The engine as well had made knocking noises to its been an off and on thing.

- Berea, OH, USA

Oct 202010

The power steering completely locked up sending the vehicle and passengers into a ditch, airborne and back down into the ditch. Ever since that incident, the steering wheel freely turns 360 degrees several times - with the key out of the ignition!!! when it is supposed to turn it doesn't and when it isn't supposed to turn, it does. The plastic key guard around the ignition switch fell off! and this is after earlier complaints about defective rims, the starter 9or electricl relay to the starter) failing after one weeks ownership, the power steering "locking up" and now little by little the pieces are falling off the car!!! and GM says - the computer doesn't show anything happened - or - it is not a warranty item - it is impact damage! I bought the 2010 Chevy Cobalt new on March 29, 2010 with 10 whole miles on it. I have also filed a complaint with the attorney general from some sort of intervention.

- Greenwood, FL, USA