Print this page Notes: The first year for Chevrolet's replacement for the S-10.

2004 Chevrolet Colorado brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Colorado:

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Owner Comments

May 212015

My cruise control and my rear driver's side top tail light went out a week or so ago. Today, my stop lights stopped working completely, including the 3rd brake light. I was almost rear ended and another driver informed me that my brake lights didn't work. After researching the issue, I discovered that the problems I'm experiencing are related to 2 switches above my brake pedal-the stop lamp switch and the brake cruise release switch.I called the Chevy recall hotline and provided my VIN #. the girl lacy informed me there wasn't a recall for my vehicle and that they would do nothing to help me get the problem resolved. I've seen numerous reports online of other people with the same issue being denied as well. The reference # to my call is 71-1478975898. I believe this to be an extreme safety hazard and would like Chevy to cover the cost of the repair and any accidents I may get into as a result of this problem.thank you. Andrew bihn

- Curtice, OH, USA

Mar 192008

Colorado 5-cyl

The brake light switch has failed multiple times. It was covered twice under a recall. Switches only last 1.5-2 years. There is no warning or dash light when they go out. I have almost been rear ended twice. Happened again April 13, 2015. I drove it straight to the dealer when I found out in traffic. I knew it was the brake switch again and the dealer confirmed. The dealer called GM to see if they would cover the replacement. They refused. The dealer gave me a discount as they know it is an issue and charged me $87 to change. This is the second time I have had to pay. He gave me this number to call but that was no use as they refused last time. 800-222-1020. Most concerning to me is the lack of concern by GM to fix a know safety issue in the brake and light system. Someone probably has or will be seriously injured or killed. They need to come up with a comprehensive fix and at a minimum continue covering failures under warranty. Not fixing the design problem then making money charging people is not right. The dealer who did the work last time is five star Chevy in dallas, tx. Craig greene was the representative who tried to help me with GM if you need to contact him. Dealer tried but GM did not take ownership for their product.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Oct 112010

Colorado 4-cyl

For several years I had problems with my engine light, ABS light, and brake light intermittently coming on. When these lights would come on, the antilock brakes would sometimes prematurely engage, dangerously vastly increasing the stopping distance. The vehicle was reacting as if the wheels were locking up, so it was prematurely engaging the antilock. This happened mostly on dry pavement during light breaking. I could feel and hear the antilock pulsing the petal releasing the brake pressure. I couldn't get good braking, even when I pushed the brake pedal to the floor. I took my car to a GM authorized service center/dealership to have it diagnosed and repaired. Despite several trips to the service center, replacing many parts and spending about $2000, the problems continued. It wasn't until after I wrote an angry letter to the dealership management that they replaced a vehicle speed sensor which solved the problem. It was aggravating because I had to pay extra for antilock features when I bought the vehicle. The antilock feature was supposed to improve safety, but ended up being very dangerous. If I would've had a wreck because of the bad brakes, the government would have likely held me liable, for an expensive and dangerous problem that they had created. The government had pressured the automotive industry to include expensive antilock brakes that were complicated, unreliable and dangerous. Intermittently, it would take 3 to 5 times more stopping distance than legacy brakes without antilock. Conventional legacy brakes I could have fixed myself. With antilock brakes; propriety diagnostic equipment was required, so I was dependent on GM authorized service; which was very expensive and did a lousy job.

- None, OH, USA

Apr 192012

Colorado 4-cyl

Periodic ABS system failure occurring while driving and applying the brakes. Has been a failure for four years made efforts to remedy the problem by calling them and no satisfaction. I've asked other Colorado owners and they said they have this problem in the 05, 06.. I hit into a school bus.

- Mckees Rock, PA, USA

May 212014

Colorado 5-cyl

I bought the truck new in 2004. It has no mechanical problems or rust. The issue is that about 5-6 inches of the frame in front of the drivers side rear spring shackle has been rusted away and the shackle has been pushed up toward the bed. The ABS fault light and brake lights come on periodically because of the shifting of the rear axle. Chevrolet said they can't do anything because the truck is too old and too many miles. Only 10 years old and less than 100,000 miles. It has been garaged and I don't see why there is so much rust on the frame. I have had trucks with way more miles and a decade older with less rust than this one. I would like to see Chevrolet stand behind this vehicle and do something about it. I can't drive it safely anymore. It has been a great truck and I would hate to lose it. Is there anything that can be done to make Chevrolet do something? I would certainly hope so.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Mar 182009

Colorado 4-cyl

I have had to have the emergency brake cable replaced twice due to poor engineering. The cable has a klew that transfers from one cable to two cables and that is located directly underneath the driver's side door, in the direct line of fire from road debris that comes off of the front tire. I have already had it replaced twice. The poorly designed cable easily seizes up from excessive dirt and corrosion getting inside the cable and it becomes no longer safe to operate. It is a manual transmission vehicle, so not having an operating cable brake is not a small problem.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Nov 152011

Colorado 4-cyl

Sometimes when braking the ABS will come on till the vehicle stops, and the ABS warning light comes on till you turn the car off.when the car is restarted the warning light is off till the ABS comes on again mostly when coming to a slow rolling stop, light, stop sign. I have talked to other owners of this vehicle who are having the same problem.

- Canton, MI, USA

Sep 182012

Colorado 5-cyl

ABS fault light went on. Turned off engine, restart, light off. Goes on and off randomly.

- Saint Clair Shores, MI, USA

Sep 092010

Colorado 4WD 5-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Colorado. The contact stated that the anti-lock braking system was not working properly and would exhibit an abnormal grinding noise. The noise was heard when the vehicle was first started and would remain for several minutes afterward. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that no failures were found and offered no assistance. The manufacturer was notified who stated that there were no recalls for the failure and offered no additional assistance. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 60,000. Updated 01/02/2013 updated 1/4/2013

- Medford, NY, USA

Apr 022012

My ABS fault light is coming on and the brakes are grinding as though I am sliding across an icy road. I just put on new brake pads at a dealership in March and no one mentioned that I had a problem. From what I heard the problem can be pulling the ABS plug or spending thousands at a dishonest dealership. It is very dangerous and I have read on forums that this ABS fault issue is a wide spread serious one. I love my truck and it has lot of mileage but this was going to be a problem on my Chevy Colorado no matter what so it seems to me this should have been a recall.

- Lebanon , OH, USA

Dec 122011

Colorado 5-cyl

ABS kick in when vehicle is cold in the morning, then disable along with an ABS fault light on the instrument panel, then goes away in the afternoon. The ABS kicks in and the brake pedal will not go down.

- Millersburg, OH, USA