Print this page Notes: The first year for Chevrolet's replacement for the S-10.

2004 Chevrolet Colorado drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Colorado:

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Owner Comments

Feb 082014

Colorado 4-cyl

When you slow to about 20 miles anhour and start to turn on a street it locks up some times. Have to rev it up and jerk on the wheel to free it up. Does it worse in cold whether. When I slow down to turn a corner on a street the steering locks up...I have to rev it up and jerk on the wheel then it loosens up. Does it worse in cold whether.

- Monett, MO, USA

Oct 012011

On sat Oct 1st 2011 I was traveling East on the interstate at about 75 mph when all of a sudden it felt like I had blown a tire. The steering became rather sluggish and I pulled over to the side of the road. I got out checked all the tires and they all looked ok, so I got back in the vehicle. My grandson and his friend were in the back seat it was a crew cab. I noticed that the 4WD indicator on the dash was on but I had not switched it from 2wd it had done it on it's own. I tried to switch it back into 2wd but upon moving the vehicle it still felt like it was in 4WD. I decided to get the vehicle off the freeway so I could go slower and get the vehicle home, so I exited the fwy about a mile later and got on the old hwy where I could go 35 mph. My daughter was behind me in her car. About 5 miles down the road my daughter starts flashing her lights so I pulled over and she came running up and told me my vehicle was on fire, I ordered my grandson and his friend out of the truck we left immediately, and backed off about 200 feet, you could see smoke coming from under the vehicle and fire dripping from just above the transfer case below the front passengers floorboard area. The fire spread and the vehicle became fully engulfed the tire melted the leather interior was completely vaporized needless to say it was a total loss. My theory is that the switching mechanism for the transfer case is defective it should not have switched on it's own at 75mph. I almost lost control of the vehicle when it did. That caused some kind of damage internally in the transfer case. When I drove the vehicle it heated up until it was red hot and caught the fuel filter on fire which eventually ruptured spread the fire and destroyed the vehicle.

- Boise, ID, USA

Aug 182008

The first and ongoing problem grinding in front left, driver, side wheel area. Many attempts have been made to fix this problem, they started out changing the whole front end, along with alignments, after some adjusting the problem will seem to go away only to return with in 2 months second, tires worn from inside out alignment, new tires, I was told one reason was the truck was dirty. I do not feel this is a reason for tire wear. New tires same problem. Third, truck not engaging when shifted into gear. This is on going, we have taken it in many times, the modular for the 2-4H-4L drive was changed, still have problem, they claim can not fix if it does not happen with them, , I video taped it, they will not look at video. Problem is intermittently, and have been asked to do different things to the truck when it happens, the problem is happening more often now, the problem seems to be growing. And still no answer to this or other problems, the dealer should have took back the truck and replaced it, if they can not be fixed.

- Purdy, MO, USA

Jan 102007

Colorado 5-cyl

- the contact stated that on 01/10/07 while driving his 2004 Chevrolet Colorado at 55 mph, his passenger side rear tire locked up. The contact stated that he felt a vibration and heard a squeaking noise and lost control of the steering. The contact stated he was able to pull over to the side of the road. The vehicle had to be towed to the dealership. The dealership service mechanic told the contact that he had a spare tire on the vehicle and that it caused the vehicle to lock up because it smaller than the other tires. The contact stated that the tire on his vehicle was a spare that came with the vehicle when he purchased it. The contact stated that this was a full size spare that came with the vehicle.

- Montgomery, IN, USA

Sep 012005

2004 Chevrolet Colorado does not have acceleration when pulling out into traffic from a stop. The consumer stated he discovered water in the floorboard.

- Naples, FL, USA