CarComplaints.com Notes: The first year for Chevrolet's replacement for the S-10.

2004 Chevrolet Colorado electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Colorado:

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Aug 032004

Colorado 5-cyl

Todays date is 04/20/2013 #1- wheel alignment front to back, where rear passenger side tire sticks out from body. #2- this is my forth set of tires because of alignment problems. #3- rear tail lights seem to be burned out, they are not it a poor socket problem, I lube with electrical grease. I can't believe that they are introducing the market with making more of the problems for the new line 2014 and beyond. This is the worst Chevrolet I ever owned the 2004 Colorado. I have owned 14 Chevy, will Chevy be in my future?

- Stillwater, MN, USA

Mar 152013

Colorado

I put key into on position and airbag deployed and hit me in face. My face was red & swollen on right side where I was hit by bag. My truck not moving was parked my seatbelt was out side I was getting it on when bag deployed. GM is giving me a hard time! I keep getting 1800 customer service numbers they gave me a pac # but they have not followed up with me or dealer. I bought the truck it had 101,000 on it has 176,000 on it now. GM only agreed to take care of it after I told them I was in vehicle when the bag deployed. Still waiting for my truck to be fixed. Dealer told me the computer is fried so it needs bag and computer then maybe they can find out why it blew. Cost is $1500-2000 to fix they said it may do it again. So I left waiting and wondering what next" luckily I had stopped for work supplies on my way home, and did not drive straight home! otherwise, I would have been in a wreck! after it happened, I wondered why cab filled with powder. I called dealer! they could not believe this, so I drove the truck to them. They cut bag off wheel and taped horn cover on. I returned it to them to fix. The used car dealer turned it over to a GM dealer by them and there it sits" waiting for GM to call and give GM dealership the go ahead to fix!, and for GM to call me and give me a reason for all of this!

- Wyoming, MI, USA

Jul 022012

Colorado 5-cyl

Vehicle keeps stalling at idle or as you are slowing to stop at traffic lights, drive thru's... acts as if it isn't charging properly. Have replaced battery, plugs, belt tensioner, drive belts. This is dangerous!!! I almost got hit again in morgantown! brake lights, head & tail lights keep going out as well!!! my husband recently diagnosed with cancer. I am having to drive him back & forth to wvu hospital in the Colorado. It is dangerous having to drive this thing like this! talking to other Colorado owners experiencing same/similar problems! truck does great on highway, except for lights going off & on. Please help!!! truck now has about 119,000 miles.

- Bloomery, WV, USA

Jan 052013

Colorado 5-cyl

Heater fan does not work. It is wintertime and I have two children ages 4 1/2 years and 9 months. Faulty wiring for the fan.

- Glouster, OH, USA

Nov 092007

Colorado

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Colorado crew-cab. The contact stated that when the battery died and a new battery was installed, the automatic key fob entry became inoperable. In addition, the driver's side window would become inoperable and could not be opened or closed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised the contact that the driver's side door control switch needed to be replaced. The switch was not replaced and the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure who advised the contact that there were no recalls and offered no further assistance. The failure mileage was 77,000.

- Riegelwood, NC, USA

Sep 182012

Colorado 5-cyl

ABS fault light went on. Turned off engine, restart, light off. Goes on and off randomly.

- Saint Clair Shores, MI, USA

Jun 012012

Colorado

The vehicle fan control fails to function on settings 1, 2, or 3. setting 4 functions properly. The connector plug at the fan housing and wiring harness shows signs of charring.

- Saint Charles, MO, USA

Mar 172011

Colorado 5-cyl

Dashboard lights randomly go off or flicker. The A/C and heater/defroster blower stops working randomly or for an entire day at a time only to work the next day and then quit again. The A/C heating fan blower does not work on speeds 1,2, or 3, only on speed 4. I have had the wiring harness replaced numerous times only to have the problem continue again. The mechanics never can seem to find the problem until we get to the harness where there is always a burned wire. They replace it and just like this last replacement, within the week the problems returned.

- Madison , AL, USA

Dec 122011

Colorado 5-cyl

ABS kick in when vehicle is cold in the morning, then disable along with an ABS fault light on the instrument panel, then goes away in the afternoon. The ABS kicks in and the brake pedal will not go down.

- Millersburg, OH, USA

Jun 012011

Colorado

Could cause fire!!! ac speed regulator of my 2004 crew-cab Colorado overheated so much that the adapter burnt in the inside and cables overheated to the point that it couldn't be touched and started to smoke. This is located underneath the glovebox compartment. If this is left unattended could cause a fire inside the vehicle!

- Conroe, TX, USA

Apr 052012

Colorado 5-cyl

Chevrolet has a known ignition system defect since March 2009. My 2004 Chevrolet Colorado intermittently does not start and then starts on the second try. Chevrolet's document: "#pip4575B: Intermittent click no crank or brief crank no crank with dtcs - possible crank sensor - keywords bqmi - (Mar 11, 2009)" explains the defect. I took my Colorado in for service on 04-05-12 because it was not starting at all. They advised me the ignition cylinder was "not reading the key" properly. They replaced the ignition cylinder and reprogrammed a new key. This repair did not correct the intermittent no crank problem but did bring the problem back to the state where it would start on the second attempt following a no crank occurrence. I am convinced the initial ignition defect was the eventual cause of the complete failure of the ignition to start the vehicle. I believe this could be a safety issue on the vehicles affected by the intermittent no crank problem. If one of these vehicles stalled out, the possibility the vehicle could fail to start immediately, could cause an accident. Even though Chevrolet claimed the problem was under investigation, there has been no notification of any fix for the problem that I know of. I would also note that Chevrolet is charging customers for diagnostic testing and ignition cylinder replacement even though they have know of this defect since 2009. However, replacing the ignition cylinder and reprogramming a new key is not correcting the original "no crank" ignition defect.

- Rome, NY, USA

Dec 222011

Colorado

Intermittent non working power door locks wipers headlights and windows! there are hundreds of these incidents posted online. There looks to be thousands of dollars in repairs with no solution!

- Medford, OR, USA

Nov 272011

Colorado 5-cyl

The electric system is knocking out the brake light and cruise control on all 2004 and up Chevrolet Colorados. I was driving home from work just to be pulled over because the brake lights weren't working he told me the guy behind me almost nailed me because of it. I didn't know! but I did know of the Colorados having a big problem with the electric system knocking out the brake lights and cruise control. So I got on line to see just how bad it was and found out it's no laughing matter all most every Chevrolet Colorado truck has this problem. Just thank of coming to a stop from 65 miles an hour and not having brake lights, I and some people on the road with me got lucky today. I called two of my closest GM dealers to try to get it fixed today and asked did they know of a problem like this and they did but GM has no recall it's at the owners exspense to get it fixed, while I told them both what I found out online. The answer from them was no one has died yet. **** that's what it takes to get some things fixed now days for some one to die before the companies fix a defective vehicle. Please can someone force GM to fix the problems with the Colorado trucks please help out us owners of these trucks we can't keep spending money like this I also have spent hundreds on other problems through out the seven years I owned the truck. Times are tight can't just go out and buy another vehicle. Look online these trucks are prone for trouble and people don't know it until they have bought the truck.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Oct 122011

Colorado 5-cyl

I have replaced the master switch that controls the locks and windows once already. Got a new switch and it still doesn't work. I called GM and they said that there were no recalls on my truck for that issue. I can only lock and unlock the driver's side door with the interior panel or the remote- the rest of the doors do not lock/unlock.

- Hazel Green, AL, USA

Jan 182011

Colorado 5-cyl

I noticed that when using the remove only the driver's door would lock and unlock. I go into the truck and used the panel and again only the driver's door would lock and unlock. I paid out of pocket to replace the switch inside the truck on the driver's door that controls the windows and the locking system. It worked for about 8 months and it has gone out again.

- Hazel Green, AL, USA

Sep 022011

Colorado 5-cyl

For being mechanically inclined this is definitely one problem I cant fix. I did the pads and rotors on my 2004 Chevy Colorado, all went well, nice and easy. Later that week my ABS light came on. I had my breaks checked and the mechanic said it wash showing wheel speed sensor. I bought the part and replaced it nice and easy again. The light turned off for about 2 min then came back on. The next time I went to drive my truck I turned it on, the sensor was off then the ABS system started engaging on and off making a weird pump sound and making my brakes engage and disengage. This happens for about 20 sec then goes away and the ABS light comes back on. I thought nothing worse could happen after having the computer replaced twice on the truck. This is worse.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Jul 192011

Colorado

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Colorado. The contact stated that the resister for the wiring harness was defective and smoke would emit from the glove compartment. The dealer and manufacturer were made aware of the failure, but offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 96,000 and the current mileage was 103,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Spring, TX, USA

Aug 102010

Colorado 4WD 5-cyl

Cruise control still not working had it in to have it checked they replaced the recall than I took it and still did not work than took it back than they replaced another switch than they said the cruise was commanding on than I took it and tried it and nothing worked.

- Broadalbin, NY, USA

Mar 132005

Colorado

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Colorado ls. The contact was driving 5 mph when every warning light on the dashboard continuously illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer numerous times but the dealer was unable to determine the cause of the failure. The vehicle was repaired several times but to no avail. The manufacturer was contacted but offered no assistance. The vehicle was not further repaired yet the failure persisted. The failure mileage was 70,600.

- Waltham, MA, USA

Nov 192010

Colorado 5-cyl

Sometimes, especially in winter months when it is cold outside the door locks will stop working. For example, using the remote to lock the doors, they won't lock and the security alarm (horns) will go off if you open the closed door because the computer system thinks the door is locked sending security system into tamper mode. Also when shifting to drive, the doors will not lock as they normally do when vehicle is shifted out of park. Also some lights may not illuminate such as the left front side marker lamp/turn signal. Eventually the electrical system will reset and the door locks will work normally. It isn't just during cold weather that this happens but it seems to happen more often during colder weather. GM dealer replaced a couple of switches when I brought my truck in while under warranty but haven't brought it in since the expiration of my warranty and it still does it on certain occasions.

- South Ogden, UT, USA