CarComplaints.com Notes: The first year for Chevrolet's replacement for the S-10.

2004 Chevrolet Colorado electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Colorado:

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Dec 272013

Colorado

TL- the contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Colorado. The contact stated her vehicle would stall intermittently after it was turned on. The failure was diagnosed, both the dealer and manufacturer were aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 117,000.

- Independence, IA, USA

Mar 312014

Colorado

I was making a left turn and I let the clutch out a little too fast which stalled the engine. I went to restart and engine just craned over and over would noy start. That is where I almost got hit. Had to push trk thru intersection.I have had this problem with it not restarting for a few years now.I have to wait 10 minuites before restarting. It happens intermittinly when I go to start it does not start. It just cranks over.the book says its an anti-theft switch.I have to wait 10 minuits before restarting.I have seen on Chevy Colorado trk sites that it is a common problem with the ignition switch.

- San Bernardino, CA, USA

Mar 062006

Colorado

Some times, the car will not start if the ignition key lock light blinks. I have to wait ten minutes so that it starts I have taking it to the dealer and they have said that it has a faulty ignition housing, of course they want to charge me a lot to fix it. I believe is a factory defect. My truck has a salvage title, so the warranty on it was voided. I have heard of other Chevy Colorado trucks with same problem.

- Arleta, CA, USA

Jun 172009

Colorado

With the revelation of the GM ignition recall problem, there are much more ignition problems that were not included in the recall. The problem is in the ignition cylinder and alignment with the passlock or passkey sensor. My problem started shortly after the vehicle went out of warranty and I was told by the dealer that it was a $1000 repair. I can not afford $1000. So I have lived with it. Because of the misalignment it causes the ignition to think that the vehicle is stolen and disables the fuel injectors, it has left me stranded quite a few times along the road waiting for the computer to manually reset after 10 minutes, it has also cost me several towing bills until I did an internet search and found out how widespread this issue is. If the misalignment is causing this to happen what will it affect as the problem worsens. This issue is not covered by the current recall but deserves investigating. Thank you bob

- Oil City, PA, USA

Dec 162013

Colorado 5-cyl

This incident occurred twice. It involves the heater blower motor resistor assembly. 8 years ago my daughter used put her back pack on the passenger floor where it repeatedly made impacted the connection to the blower motor relay assembly. This eventually caused the pin and socket on the orange wire to separate to the point where it arced and burnt. I found and repaired the socket when the heater would only work on high. On the 16th of Dec 2013, a passenger size 12 shoes accidentally, and unwittingly kicked the same spot and caused the same fault. I repaired the socket again. My complaint is the resistor connection is in a spot to easily service, but it is in a vulnerable spot for accidental contact. I believe it needs a robust protective cover, either metal or plastic. For people that cannot repair their own vehicles, this situation could cost them a couple of hundred dollars. My other electrical fault is the right side window motor. It quit working couple of years ago, and I was able to take it apart and clean the brushes. It worked for a couple of years until it stopped a couple of weeks ago. I replaced the motor because I could not find brushes to replace. I am convinced that the brushes failed because they were made brittle from slamming the doors too hard by the passengers. The doors are light and it is common for them to slammed. The brushes or the motor need to be more robust.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Dec 142012

Colorado 5-cyl

The vehicle was parked and started up due to the snow/ice to melt the windshield. The fan would only work on the high setting which is "4". I replaced the resistor as it was burnt. It worked ok for a week and then burnt out again. If I jiggle the wires it will sometimes work on 1, 2 or 3 setting but not for very long. I have replaced 3-4 resistors and I'm tired of replacing them. Seems to me that this should be a recall as tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of Chevrolet Colorados have had this problem. Just do an internet search and find the thousands of reports yet GM is not doing anything about it. Also, one time while driving the fan quit and the entire dash lights went out including the speedometer, RPM gauge and fuel/battery gauges.

- Stevensville, MI, USA

Aug 032004

Colorado 5-cyl

Todays date is 04/20/2013 #1- wheel alignment front to back, where rear passenger side tire sticks out from body. #2- this is my forth set of tires because of alignment problems. #3- rear tail lights seem to be burned out, they are not it a poor socket problem, I lube with electrical grease. I can't believe that they are introducing the market with making more of the problems for the new line 2014 and beyond. This is the worst Chevrolet I ever owned the 2004 Colorado. I have owned 14 Chevy, will Chevy be in my future?

- Stillwater, MN, USA

Mar 152013

Colorado

I put key into on position and airbag deployed and hit me in face. My face was red & swollen on right side where I was hit by bag. My truck not moving was parked my seatbelt was out side I was getting it on when bag deployed. GM is giving me a hard time! I keep getting 1800 customer service numbers they gave me a pac # but they have not followed up with me or dealer. I bought the truck it had 101,000 on it has 176,000 on it now. GM only agreed to take care of it after I told them I was in vehicle when the bag deployed. Still waiting for my truck to be fixed. Dealer told me the computer is fried so it needs bag and computer then maybe they can find out why it blew. Cost is $1500-2000 to fix they said it may do it again. So I left waiting and wondering what next" luckily I had stopped for work supplies on my way home, and did not drive straight home! otherwise, I would have been in a wreck! after it happened, I wondered why cab filled with powder. I called dealer! they could not believe this, so I drove the truck to them. They cut bag off wheel and taped horn cover on. I returned it to them to fix. The used car dealer turned it over to a GM dealer by them and there it sits" waiting for GM to call and give GM dealership the go ahead to fix!, and for GM to call me and give me a reason for all of this!

- Wyoming, MI, USA

Jul 022012

Colorado 5-cyl

Vehicle keeps stalling at idle or as you are slowing to stop at traffic lights, drive thru's... acts as if it isn't charging properly. Have replaced battery, plugs, belt tensioner, drive belts. This is dangerous!!! I almost got hit again in morgantown! brake lights, head & tail lights keep going out as well!!! my husband recently diagnosed with cancer. I am having to drive him back & forth to wvu hospital in the Colorado. It is dangerous having to drive this thing like this! talking to other Colorado owners experiencing same/similar problems! truck does great on highway, except for lights going off & on. Please help!!! truck now has about 119,000 miles.

- Bloomery, WV, USA

Jan 052013

Colorado 5-cyl

Heater fan does not work. It is wintertime and I have two children ages 4 1/2 years and 9 months. Faulty wiring for the fan.

- Glouster, OH, USA

Nov 092007

Colorado

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Colorado crew-cab. The contact stated that when the battery died and a new battery was installed, the automatic key fob entry became inoperable. In addition, the driver's side window would become inoperable and could not be opened or closed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised the contact that the driver's side door control switch needed to be replaced. The switch was not replaced and the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure who advised the contact that there were no recalls and offered no further assistance. The failure mileage was 77,000.

- Riegelwood, NC, USA

Sep 182012

Colorado 5-cyl

ABS fault light went on. Turned off engine, restart, light off. Goes on and off randomly.

- Saint Clair Shores, MI, USA

Jun 012012

Colorado

The vehicle fan control fails to function on settings 1, 2, or 3. setting 4 functions properly. The connector plug at the fan housing and wiring harness shows signs of charring.

- Saint Charles, MO, USA

Mar 172011

Colorado 5-cyl

Dashboard lights randomly go off or flicker. The A/C and heater/defroster blower stops working randomly or for an entire day at a time only to work the next day and then quit again. The A/C heating fan blower does not work on speeds 1,2, or 3, only on speed 4. I have had the wiring harness replaced numerous times only to have the problem continue again. The mechanics never can seem to find the problem until we get to the harness where there is always a burned wire. They replace it and just like this last replacement, within the week the problems returned.

- Madison , AL, USA

Dec 122011

Colorado 5-cyl

ABS kick in when vehicle is cold in the morning, then disable along with an ABS fault light on the instrument panel, then goes away in the afternoon. The ABS kicks in and the brake pedal will not go down.

- Millersburg, OH, USA

Jun 012011

Colorado

Could cause fire!!! ac speed regulator of my 2004 crew-cab Colorado overheated so much that the adapter burnt in the inside and cables overheated to the point that it couldn't be touched and started to smoke. This is located underneath the glovebox compartment. If this is left unattended could cause a fire inside the vehicle!

- Conroe, TX, USA

Apr 052012

Colorado 5-cyl

Chevrolet has a known ignition system defect since March 2009. My 2004 Chevrolet Colorado intermittently does not start and then starts on the second try. Chevrolet's document: "#pip4575B: Intermittent click no crank or brief crank no crank with dtcs - possible crank sensor - keywords bqmi - (Mar 11, 2009)" explains the defect. I took my Colorado in for service on 04-05-12 because it was not starting at all. They advised me the ignition cylinder was "not reading the key" properly. They replaced the ignition cylinder and reprogrammed a new key. This repair did not correct the intermittent no crank problem but did bring the problem back to the state where it would start on the second attempt following a no crank occurrence. I am convinced the initial ignition defect was the eventual cause of the complete failure of the ignition to start the vehicle. I believe this could be a safety issue on the vehicles affected by the intermittent no crank problem. If one of these vehicles stalled out, the possibility the vehicle could fail to start immediately, could cause an accident. Even though Chevrolet claimed the problem was under investigation, there has been no notification of any fix for the problem that I know of. I would also note that Chevrolet is charging customers for diagnostic testing and ignition cylinder replacement even though they have know of this defect since 2009. However, replacing the ignition cylinder and reprogramming a new key is not correcting the original "no crank" ignition defect.

- Rome, NY, USA

Dec 222011

Colorado

Intermittent non working power door locks wipers headlights and windows! there are hundreds of these incidents posted online. There looks to be thousands of dollars in repairs with no solution!

- Medford, OR, USA

Nov 272011

Colorado 5-cyl

The electric system is knocking out the brake light and cruise control on all 2004 and up Chevrolet Colorados. I was driving home from work just to be pulled over because the brake lights weren't working he told me the guy behind me almost nailed me because of it. I didn't know! but I did know of the Colorados having a big problem with the electric system knocking out the brake lights and cruise control. So I got on line to see just how bad it was and found out it's no laughing matter all most every Chevrolet Colorado truck has this problem. Just thank of coming to a stop from 65 miles an hour and not having brake lights, I and some people on the road with me got lucky today. I called two of my closest GM dealers to try to get it fixed today and asked did they know of a problem like this and they did but GM has no recall it's at the owners exspense to get it fixed, while I told them both what I found out online. The answer from them was no one has died yet. **** that's what it takes to get some things fixed now days for some one to die before the companies fix a defective vehicle. Please can someone force GM to fix the problems with the Colorado trucks please help out us owners of these trucks we can't keep spending money like this I also have spent hundreds on other problems through out the seven years I owned the truck. Times are tight can't just go out and buy another vehicle. Look online these trucks are prone for trouble and people don't know it until they have bought the truck.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Oct 122011

Colorado 5-cyl

I have replaced the master switch that controls the locks and windows once already. Got a new switch and it still doesn't work. I called GM and they said that there were no recalls on my truck for that issue. I can only lock and unlock the driver's side door with the interior panel or the remote- the rest of the doors do not lock/unlock.

- Hazel Green, AL, USA