CarComplaints.com Notes: The first year for Chevrolet's replacement for the S-10.

2004 Chevrolet Colorado seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Colorado:

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Owner Comments

Mar 022016

Colorado

Several months ago I received a safety recall for this vehicle. I took the truck to my Chevy dealership, they told me they could not perform the repair because the odometer had over 120,000 miles on it. My question is this, do all safety recalls no longer become safety problems when the odometer reaches a certain number ? if this is the case there must be thousands of safe unsafe vehicles on our highways due to this type of enforcement. Please tell me this is a joke.

- Vandalia, OH, USA

May 062016

Colorado

Wires in the harness which pass from cab to left rear door break. The break disables the seat belt lock up mechanism. A broken wire causes the air bag readiness light to illuminate. The door open and close switch is inoperable. The left rear stereo speaker does not work.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Apr 062007

Colorado

Airbag light is continually on. When running, driving, at all times.

- Katy, TX, USA

Jan 312013

Colorado

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Colorado. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Flourtown , PA, USA

Nov 072014

Colorado 5-cyl

Wires to the airbag wiring harness are broken in rear drive rside passenger door. Resulting in airbag light to come on.

- Madison, CA, USA

Oct 132014

Colorado 5-cyl

Airbag light is on. My truck has never been in an accident. Through research I have found that the wiring in the door breaks.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jul 222014

Colorado

A/C heater resistor and plastic connector for both resistor and blower motor arced and melted. Also air bag light is on.

- North Highlands, CA, USA

Jul 232014

Colorado

Airbag warning light came on I feel this needs to be a recall as other Colorado owners have had the same problem.

- Woodbury, CT, USA

Feb 252014

Colorado

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Colorado. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, the air bag light illuminated. The air bags did not deploy. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the mechanic diagnosed that the broken wire in the extended cab front driver's side door needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 98,000.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Jun 032013

Colorado 5-cyl

The air bag light would not go off. The power window on the drivers side rear would not operate from the drivers door master switch panel.the passenger side mirror stopped working. The airbag light remains on, the inoperative power rear window continues to be operational but only from the rear door switch and continues to be non responsive to the drivers door master panel. The all the power windows ceased to function and I found a blown fuse which when replaced allowed the three working windows to resume operation. I had a certified mechanic troubleshoot the airbag system with a computer program. He told me the airbag system would not reset due to a fault with the drivers side door airbag located in the "a" pillar. As there are already recalls on GM pickup truck driver side master window, mirror switch and these above stated failures the risk of safety may have to be investigated and a recall expanded.

- Boulder, CO, USA

Mar 152013

Colorado

I put key into on position and airbag deployed and hit me in face. My face was red & swollen on right side where I was hit by bag. My truck not moving was parked my seatbelt was out side I was getting it on when bag deployed. GM is giving me a hard time! I keep getting 1800 customer service numbers they gave me a pac # but they have not followed up with me or dealer. I bought the truck it had 101,000 on it has 176,000 on it now. GM only agreed to take care of it after I told them I was in vehicle when the bag deployed. Still waiting for my truck to be fixed. Dealer told me the computer is fried so it needs bag and computer then maybe they can find out why it blew. Cost is $1500-2000 to fix they said it may do it again. So I left waiting and wondering what next" luckily I had stopped for work supplies on my way home, and did not drive straight home! otherwise, I would have been in a wreck! after it happened, I wondered why cab filled with powder. I called dealer! they could not believe this, so I drove the truck to them. They cut bag off wheel and taped horn cover on. I returned it to them to fix. The used car dealer turned it over to a GM dealer by them and there it sits" waiting for GM to call and give GM dealership the go ahead to fix!, and for GM to call me and give me a reason for all of this!

- Wyoming, MI, USA

Dec 012012

Colorado 5-cyl

Truck left road hit embankment then rolled. Air bag did not deploy.

- Bethlehem, GA, USA

Dec 152011

Colorado 4WD 5-cyl

Air bag warning light was lit on my 2004 Chevrolet Colorado extended cab which I assume would make the air bags inoperable during an accident. Problem determined to be a broken wire in the harness between the cab and the back door.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Feb 142011

Colorado 5-cyl

2004 Chevy Colorado turned on partially to the on position to start the vehicle and the drivers airbag popped out in my face and hit me very hard.this vehicle was not hit or anything, it was in a standard parking lot and when it popped out my hearing when blank or deaf like. The vehicle was not running at the time of the explosion. Chevy thought maybe a malfunction but then advised me to go down the road to a nearby abra auto body which that guy thought Chevy may be hiding a type of airbag malfunction recall, anyways Chevy wouldn't estimate the price to be fixed and abra said I was looking around $1300 for repair.

- Scandia , MN, USA

Nov 142010

Colorado

Driver/owner travelled into a parking lot, parked without incident and turned the ignition completely off. Within seconds, the driver stepped out of the vehicle, then leaned over to retrieve the key which was still in the ignition. As the driver removed key from ignition, without warning, the driver's side airbag deployed, striking him in the left cheek. The driver sustained facial burns. Paramedics and fire responded. Later, he was taken to an emergency room. Prior to this incident, the vehicle operated properly and received routine maintenance with dealer.

- Beverly Hills, CA, USA

Mar 062010

Colorado

I was in a car accident a vehicle had ran out of gas, I was traveling about 45mph and rear ended the stopped vehicle. Then a truck hit me. My air bag did not deploy.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Aug 202009

Colorado

Airbag indicator light required dealer repair to replace a wiring harness at a cost of $91.

- Woodruff, SC, USA

May 012005

Colorado 5-cyl

2004 Chevrolet Colorado experiencing problems with the air bags, defective tires, body structure, water leakage, electrical problems, and slippage of the automatic transmission.** answer required***. the starter was stuck, the wiring harness in the roof laying on the door caused a short when the door was fully opened, power mirror was inoperative, the door locks opened on their own and there were missing screws in the fender. The consumer requested reimbursement for the replaced tires and for the missing screws. The master switch wa replaced and the seams behind the brake booster area were resealed.

- Laytonville, CA, USA

Nov 182004

Colorado 4-cyl

The consumer crashed into a tree head on at 35 mph. The front air bags failed to deploy upon impact. The driver sustained injuries to his head, shoulder and neck.

- Wayne, WV, USA