Print this page Notes: The first year for Chevrolet's replacement for the S-10.

2004 Chevrolet Colorado suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Colorado:

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Owner Comments

Aug 102015

I went to install brakes when the mechanic noticed the jounce bumber missing, but when he looked closer he noticed it was rotted. The jounce buper bracket is part of the frame and it completely rotted out. I called GM and they inspected it and they said there is nothing they could do. I said Toyota replaced all the chasis rotting out in the state of Massachusetts, this would be the same the salt brine is rooting out frames and this vehicle is no longer safe. They will not even buy it back. I need your help.

- Lawrence, MA, USA

Jun 212014

While traveling at appx 50 mph, vehicles suffered catastrophic seizure of the left front wheel bearing assembly causing the wheel to lock up and spinning the vehicle appx 180 degrees in the highway. No collision resulted, and there was no damage.

- Waldron, AR, USA

Aug 032004

Colorado 5-cyl

Todays date is 04/20/2013 #1- wheel alignment front to back, where rear passenger side tire sticks out from body. #2- this is my forth set of tires because of alignment problems. #3- rear tail lights seem to be burned out, they are not it a poor socket problem, I lube with electrical grease. I can't believe that they are introducing the market with making more of the problems for the new line 2014 and beyond. This is the worst Chevrolet I ever owned the 2004 Colorado. I have owned 14 Chevy, will Chevy be in my future?

- Stillwater, MN, USA

Sep 082011

Colorado 5-cyl

ABS triggered unexpectedly, ABS and traction warning lights came on. No loss of control. Repaired at dealership 10/14/11 replacing rf wheel bearing hub and speed sensor. Subsequently incident repeated on two occasions, ca. 11/15/11 and ca. 12/16/11 after starting into a turn at low speed, perhaps with slight braking. No loss of control. Checked at dealership 2/14/2012 with no cause determined. Later same day, failure occurred again, with same symptoms: Low speed with turn and perhaps slight braking. No loss of control. Diagnosis suggested faulty hubs again. Resolution pending.

- Plover, WI, USA

Aug 182008

The first and ongoing problem grinding in front left, driver, side wheel area. Many attempts have been made to fix this problem, they started out changing the whole front end, along with alignments, after some adjusting the problem will seem to go away only to return with in 2 months second, tires worn from inside out alignment, new tires, I was told one reason was the truck was dirty. I do not feel this is a reason for tire wear. New tires same problem. Third, truck not engaging when shifted into gear. This is on going, we have taken it in many times, the modular for the 2-4H-4L drive was changed, still have problem, they claim can not fix if it does not happen with them, , I video taped it, they will not look at video. Problem is intermittently, and have been asked to do different things to the truck when it happens, the problem is happening more often now, the problem seems to be growing. And still no answer to this or other problems, the dealer should have took back the truck and replaced it, if they can not be fixed.

- Purdy, MO, USA

Jan 252008

Colorado 5-cyl

I noticed uneven wear on my tires. So, I stopped at a garage and I was told the tires were under inflated even though I had the tires at the recommending psi. I put the psi in that the technician recommended and the problem seemed to go away. I went in to have a routine oil change done at a local shop a year after this, and I needed to replace all 4 tires. They had worn down on the inside tread to the steel within only 26K miles. The vehicle has been driven conservatively, and mostly highway miles by my wife. So I put four new tires and had an alignment.

- Batavia, NY, USA

Jun 132006

Colorado 4WD 5-cyl

Vehicle causing excessive tread wear on inside of tire, exists on multiple sets of tires. Tread worn completely through, exposing inner layers of tire. If not noticed when it was there was a risk of complete failure for all 4 tires. Manufacturer refused to make adjustments to vehicle after first 4 tires failed (30K miles), continues to refuse service after next 4 showing same problem (15K miles).

- Bloomington, MN, USA

Dec 312004

Colorado 4WD 5-cyl

I bought a 2004 Colorado in March of that year, on Dec. 31st 2004 I had to replace the two front tires at my expense. They had worn from the inside out the tires had 23,000 +miles on them. I complained to the dealer and they told me that there was not anything wrong. In March 2005 I had to bring it in for the same thing with less miles on those tires 17,000 miles and they still insist that there is nothing wrong. I soon will have to replace these tires before winter. The dealer tells me tires need to be rotated more often. I've owned other S-10 models with over 250,000 and haven't had the problems I've had with this type of problems. I did have other problems with this vehicle from door wiring, replacement of O2 sensor, front axle seal driver side replace, headlights, fog lights and tail lights all have been replaced within the first 20,000 miles.

- Cold Spring, NY, USA

Nov 222004

Colorado 5-cyl

This 2004 Chevrolet Colorado, 2 wheel drive truck has vibration and shimmy at highway speeds. The tires are general ameritrac TR 265/75R/15. The tires have been replaced and road tested per the November 2004 bulletin from General Motors. The tires have been replaced 3 times with multiple balances, etc. There is abnormal wear of the tires. Purchase date 9/27/04. Beginning of problem 11/22/04, at about 2300 miles. The problem is ongoing with difficulty controlling the vehicle after the new tires wear in a little bit.

- Smithville, MO, USA