Print this page Notes: The Chevy Colorado is mechanically identical to the GMC Canyon.

2008 Chevrolet Colorado engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Colorado:

2008 Chevrolet Colorado Owner Comments

Aug 102009

Occasionally when the truck comes to a stop or coasting, the RPM gage starts to fluctuate, and the truck starts to shake. Most of the time it will result in the truck completely turning off. This happens almost every day; occurring atleast 1-3 times. The first time it started was in the summer of 2009. It is really frustrating when this happens at an intersection, a light or maybe as I am turning, but it is extremely frightening when it happens while I'm going down hill or if I am on the freeway. I have almost gotten into car accidents because of this. My truck is still under warranty and I have taken it in to the dealership atleast 6 times and they return my vehicle usually clueless about what to do. They usually recommend for me to change my gas to shell, which I have been doing since I purchased the vehicle. They have re-done maintenance jobs on it, hoping that the problem will go away, but it doesn't. the engine light never goes on, which is a huge problem. Recently they placed a data recorder to record when it happens, I recorded 5 incidents, and they came back normal!!! the data recorder doesn't pick it up! the mechanics are baffled and running out of ideas. They don't know what to do, nor do I anymore. Driving this truck with this problem is not only putting me and my family at risk, but it is also endangering the people driving along me.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Jun 232008

Noticed rough idle and hesitation at first then check engine light comes on after few weeks. Cause is separate faulty ignition coils. Happened at 2,000, 3,000, and 5,000 miles. Dealer replaced under warranty but without explanation as to why this keeps happening.

- Lakewood , WA, USA