Print this page Notes: The Chevy Colorado is mechanically identical to the GMC Canyon.

2011 Chevrolet Colorado seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Colorado:

2011 Chevrolet Colorado Owner Comments

May 142015

When I started my truck the red air bag warning light was on steady. I went to find out why the air bag light was on it was for the seat belt pre-tensioner. It was in a fault situation. It was giving 2 codes for this but was not told what they were. Upon closer examination it had 2 broken wires inside a rubber boot that leads from the extended cab rear door to the body. I was told this is very common for extended cabs as the wiring is to short and is pinched when the rear door opens and shuts. The wires eventually fail and cause the air bag system to go into a fault situation and no longer work. Also I was told that the other wires in the rubber boot will also eventually fail including the speaker wire and interior light sensor wires. I was told this is an extended cab issue no other models seem to do this.

- Phoenix, NY, USA

Sep 252014

Colorado 4WD 5-cyl

My vehicle's electronic safety system began to report that the driver's side seatbelt was not latched, even though it was. I took it in for diagnosis & repair at my local GM dealer (bob hook Chevrolet, 4144 bardstown rd., louisville ky 40218). However, the first replacement part (driver┐'s side seatbelt, with latch & wires) quickly failed the same way as the first one did. Therefore, I had to take the vehicle in for service a second time and the same part was replaced again. From what I've researched online, it seems that this issue may likely be the same one that a recall on the 2012 Colorado trucks was issued for ┐┐ refer to the info. At the following link: if it is, then I think the recall should be expanded to include the 2011 Colorado trucks, particularly considering my experience with a faulty replacement part. If this may indeed be determined to be the case, I feel that I should also be reimbursed by the manufacturer (GM) for the amount I was charged for a replacement seatbelt (~$200).

- Shepherdsville, KY, USA