7.1

2016 Chevrolet Colorado engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Chevrolet Colorado:

2016 Chevrolet Colorado Owner Comments

Jan 132017

Colorado

I started my Colorado to head home, the weather was clear and cool. The "driver information center" in the instrument cluster flashed that the airbag, anti-theft system, and the traction control system (tcs)/stabilitrak were inoperable. The airbag, tcs, and one other lights were illuminated. I turned the vehicle off. Waited a few seconds and turned it back on. The same thing happened again. I cleared the warning messages and started to drive to take it in and get it looked at by a certified Chevrolet mechanic. I left the parking lot and after entering the nearby street I noticed that the driver information center was not displaying any vehicle information (showing zeros or blanks for all diagnostic information including mileage, fuel, oil pressure, speed etc). Also, the needles for the speedometer, tachometer, fuel gauge, and engine coolant temperature gauge were lifeless and reading zeros. Only the odometer and "infotainment" system were working correctly. I estimated my speed to be above 30 mph at this point. I immediately pulled off the road, put the vehicle in park and turned it off. I waited a few minutes and scanned the wiring under the hood and steering wheel but could not identify any issues. When I started the vehicle again, all the issues were gone as if nothing happened. Seemed kinda like restarting a computer to clear software issues. Not sure what could've caused it. My vehicle is a 2016 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 with 27,000 miles on it. It was purchased October 2015. Probably either a software/electrical issue, gremlins, or a russian hacking attempt. Due to bribing the gremlins with socks to bother someone else's car, and the lack of any pictures appearing in the infotainment system featuring a shirtless russian dictator making impolite gestures while riding a bear...my uneducated guess is that it's a software issue.

- Spotsylvania, VA, USA

Nov 302016

Colorado

The contact owns a 2016 Chevrolet Colorado. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, a loud popping noise came from the engine area before the speed suddenly decreased to 40 mph. During the failure, the steering assist, stabilitrak, four wheel drive and trailer braking system warning lights illuminated. The failure had occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but the failure was unable to be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 5,700.

- Princeton, WV, USA

Oct 132016

Colorado

Engine revs high coming to a stop. Required both feet pressed hard on the bakes to emergency stop. Speed control quits working then service-stability control comes on, car starts to handle ackwardly, pulls to left then. Cut engine off and it resets, but the cruise control stops working and then that service stability control comes back on.if I don't put on the cruise control, I don't get that stability control message so far. Braking problem happens when comes to a stop. Cruise control happens at highway speeds but sometimes going 45 mph.

- Evans, GA, USA

Sep 022016

Colorado

While driving the 2016 Colorado, the transmission/engine seems to have trouble shifting and accelerating and the shift patterns are erratic it seems, maybe its the fuel efficient crap that shuts down cylinders, maybe its the trans?. experienced it on highways and lower speeds, stop and go traffic, truck's transmission clunks, shifts hard at random and stutters allot. It's aggrivating. When trying to pass, seems to be zero acceleration felt when flooring it then suddenly kicks in (roughly)..like oh hey-I need to go.. I could get in a wreck-ended because of this and I better not try to pass anyone.. I feel my safety could be at risk with as much hesitation then suddenly lurches as it has. I see quite a few complaints already concerning this and/or describing just about the same ordeal. Daily - but random - city and highway, turning, straight etc. Basically any situation but idle.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Apr 012016

Colorado

Engine seems to lag under quick acceleration. Problem occurs most often when accelerating from a turn or when changing lanes under acceleration. Speeds of occurrence mostly approximately 20-25 mph. Requested checks and service at a dealership only to be given a service bulletin from GM stating this was a normal part of the traction management system. My previous vehicle (2014 Silverado) was also listed on the bulletin, but the problem was never noticed on this vehicle. I see this issue as an increased risk of a collision with the highest risk being a rear end collision. This needs to be addressed and fixed.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA