3.3

2001 Chevrolet Corvette steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Corvette:

2001 Chevrolet Corvette Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 052015

Corvette

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Corvette. While the vehicle was in reverse, the service column lock warning indicator illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle; however, the contact was unable to drive the vehicle. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 04V060000 (steering). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 183,000.

- Alvin, TX, USA

Sep 012015

Corvette

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Corvette. While driving at an unknown speed, the service steering column lock warning light illuminated. In addition, the contact mentioned that an error message advising to "wait ten seconds and pull key" displayed on the instrument panel. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering column lock needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the error message displayed again. The technician stated that an unknown computer module related to the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 66,000.

- Schenectady, NY, USA

Sep 062015

Corvette

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Corvette. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 04V060000 (steering). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 29,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 072014

Corvette

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Corvette. While driving at approximately 55 mph, the steering column lock indicator light illuminated and display "service needed". the contact coasted over to the side of the road. The contact restarted the engine, but it failed to start. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence and then the vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 04V060000 (steering). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 42,000.

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Sep 062001

Corvette

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Corvette. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized after starting the vehicle. The failure recurred numerous times and was towed to the contact's residence after each occurrence. The steering wheel would eventually reset over a period of twenty four hours or greater. The vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 04V060000 (steering); however, the failure persisted after the repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 3,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jan 012010

Corvette 8-cyl

Well my 2001 Corvette got the dreaded "service column lock" message after sitting for a while during my summer vacation. The battery died and I replaced the battery with factory/GM recommendation cca and sizing. After changing the battery I first got the "pull key wait 10 sec" message, then after doing as told, "service column lock" came onto the display. The steering wheel was still easily tunable, so this vette must have had the recall service done by its previous owner; however the digital warning or display continues to show and when I press clear display, it is removed. I have checked with a number of Corvette owners, and after hearing from a couple guys on corvetteforum that the issue could continue and cause major issues with acceleration, etc... a device named the lmc5 from complianceparts.com is a fix and possibly the way to go, I have not decided to give it a shot as I believe this is a manufacture issue and should be addressed through GM. If I place this device into the system, what other issues would I face, and none of the other owners knew the answer and all agreed that this could create other issues. I ask that you have GM fix this issue based on a recall.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Nov 102014

Corvette 8-cyl

Started the vehicle, in the display panel were the words, "steering column locked." Although the vehicle was running, the steering column was in fact locked. Restarted vehicle and the display read..."service column locked" however this was not the case. The steering wheel moved freely. The problem now is; the steering wheel will not lock when the ignition is turned off. My concern is...can the steering wheel lock when the vehicle is in motion?

- Chicopee, MA, USA

Jun 162011

Corvette

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Corvette. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized and the key was able to be removed from the ignition. The dealer stated that the lock plate and motor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- New Alexandria, PA, USA

Mar 252014

Corvette

TL- the contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet corevette. He stated that after the repair for recall NHTSA campaign number: 04V060000 component(s): Steering. The failure reoccured and the dealer had to reprogram the electronic lock wiring harness and lock kit were replaced. The second remedy has ceased the failure from happening.

- North Woodmere, NY, USA

May 012014

Corvette

For the past year and half I haven't driven my Corvette much due to steering wheel module inflatable cover being sticky. Once you touch it with your finger its attaches to the steering wheel cover. I went to my local Chevrolet dealer to see what could be done. Not a thing. His remark was this is (part of living in Florida) if you think you have problems you should hear how many complaints we get on our truck steering wheels. This is a safety issue and should be a recall since it involves steering the vehicle and inflatable air restraint. The vehicle has 39,135 miles. I have the same problem with my 2006 srx Cadillac.

- Hypoluxo, FL, USA

Jul 042012

Corvette

I am the original owner of this vehicle purchased in 2001 when I was leaving in toronto-Canada and moved to Washington state in 2011 (car was legally imported and registered in usa). In July 2012 the steering wheel/column locked as I was pulling out (with the car in motion) of a parking spot rendering the car not drivable. The car was towed to the local dealership and I paid for repairs to be done to replace the locking mechanism of the steering column. At the same time I contacted numerous times G.M. customer service and asked them to authorized the work under recall number 4006C issued in Feb 08 2006 (remove the locking mechanism), however GM failed to take responsibility to assure that this latest recall is provided to my vehicle. Their argument was that all work done in Canada on this issue had been performed (although the Canadian recall notice resolution is different than the usa recall resolution and under Canadian recall notice the locking mechanism is not removed, just a wire harness is been replaced) since this repair was performed I am driving just a few short trips back and forth from the office and not at all on the highway as I am afraid because the theft deterrent system is still in operation, meaning the steering column may lock when driving and crash ( his is from GM's own service recall number 4006C).

- Liberty Lake , WA, USA

May 032012

Corvette 8-cyl

This vehicle often would not start. Then the next morning it would start fine. Occasionally it would shut off while driving - turning off all power. It happened once at 70 mph: The car lost all power, and only by the grace of god was I able to restart it and regain control. Eventually it would not start at all, and I finally had to have it towed to the dealership. It took two weeks for them to determine it was the ignition switch shutting off all power to the engine, and charged me $520 to replace it. They told me to remove the car key from my keyring and keep it separate because it was causing a problem with the switch. I would like to recover the money that this cost me since we can now see it is related to the pervasive ignition switch recall. I have asked them and they have refused.

- Lynnfield, MA, USA

Apr 172002

Corvette

I bought a 2001 Corvette with my wife from hendrick Chevrolet. The steering wheel locked as I was pulling out of a parking spot rendering the car not drivable. I was a car salesman at the time and had gotten a text from my wife to hurry home about something urgent. As I pulled out in reverse I adjusted the steering wheel down and started backing up all at the same time very fast and the steering wheel locked. I called hendrick Chevrolet and told them of the incident. I am a manufacturing engineer in the automotive industry that deals with tier1 and tier 2 suppliers for GM. I know their quality standards and this I told them was going to kill someone if not addressed properly with an 8D a corrective action report and an update to the pfmea and dfmea control plans.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

May 252013

Corvette 8-cyl

The vehicle is a 2001 Chevrolet Corvette. Upon driving the steering column locked preventing the car from being controlled at speed. After researching the issue and investigating the matter with Chevrolet customer service I found that this steering lock antitheft device was found to be dangerous as I described. The NHTSA forced GM to recall vehicles, mine in 2003, recall number 4006. Subsequently GM concluded that this recall was not effective and issued two more recalls however customers were never notified by mail. Recall number 4006C issued in Feb 08 2006 supersedes all previous recalls instructing dealers and service technicians to remove the locking mechanism. However GM fails to take responsibility to assure that this latter recall is provided to my vehicle. After numerous calls to customer service 866 790 5700 they will not authorize repair of my vehicle. After $1700 out of pocket expenses my car is still in a situation that the steering column can lock while being driven and GM fails to respond. I have been bounced around to 8 to 9 representatives in customer service from peru, Texas and detroit all with no action. All owners of 1999 to 2004 Corvettes whose theft deterrent system is still in operation, meaning the steering column locks when the key is removed should be aware that the car may lock when driving and crash. This is from GM's own service recall number 4006C. These vehicle should not be driven.

- Flemington, NJ, USA

Mar 202013

Corvette 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Corvette. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence and later taken to the dealer where the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 04V060000 (steering) but to no avail. The failure persisted and the vehicle was not further repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 42,000. Updated 6/21/13 updated 07/18/2013

- Guerneville, CA, USA

Jul 212012

Corvette

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Corvette coupe. The contact stated that the vehicle started but the steering wheel failed to unlock. The vehicle was serviced three years prior to the failure under NHTSA campaign id number: 04V060000 (steering:column locking:anti-theft device).the vehicle was not towed to the dealer. The manufacturer was contacted but the vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 42,000.

- Moseley , VA, USA

Apr 062010

Corvette

In 2004 my 2001 Chevy Corvette was recalled due to defects which could cause the steering column to lock up while driving. I took the car in for the recalls and was told the recalls were accomplished, but I discovered in April, 2010 that the recalls had not been accomplished. The steering column of the car locked up while being driven on or about April 6, 2010. The dealer who claimed to have accomplished the recalls lied and put my life and other's lives in jeopardy. I demand that action be taken against the dealer and against GM for this intentional disregard for human life!

- Long Grove, IL, USA

Apr 142010

Corvette 8-cyl

Electronic column lock system failure. I got the famous, "pull key wait 10 second" message and then the column locked. I looked it up on www.corvetteforum.com and found a bunch of information regarding this issue. Apparently this is by far the most common safety issue with any C5 Corvette. After unhooking the battery and shaking the steering wheel vigorously, I got the steering wheel to unlock. I called the local dealership (hendrick durham auto mall) and explained what was going on. They told me I had already had the recall performed in 2005. I informed them that there was another recall that was released in 2006 that removes the locking plate from the steering column. They found the recall that I was referring to and agreed to take a look at my car. I dropped it off at the dealership and was told that the recall had expired and needed to pay the dealership to perform the recall. I was never informed of this recall, I found it on the internet and informed the dealership. The recall I had was 04006B, and the newest recall was 04006C. It looks like in order for anyone to get the recall performed their steering wheel had to lock up from 2006-2008 and to take it to a dealership to get the recall done, or pay the dealership to do it. It seems like just about every C5 Corvette owner has to deal with this defective steering column system sooner or later. There's even aftermarket products that are available to try and remedy this problem since GM can't seem to.

- Hillsborough, NC, USA

Nov 082008

Corvette

2001 Corvette manual transmission--had campaign 004006 done for column locking problem Jan 06--one month later, the service procedure for manual transmission cars was changed, and the new procedure not offered to me/new information not given to me. Now Nov '08, column locking problem returns, and dealership in scottsdale will not perform the newer recall procedure until they "find out what's wrong with it this time" that is not appropriate.

- Scottsdale , AZ, USA

Oct 182008

Corvette

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Corvette. The contact started the ignition and noticed that the steering column locked without warning. The steering column failed to unlock. The vehicle was previously repaired under recall for the same failure. The NHTSA campaign id number was unknown. The vehicle is currently inoperable and has not been repaired. The recall remedy has not corrected the safety defect. The manufacturer was notified. The VIN was unknown. The failure and current mileages were 30,000.

- Herndon, VA, USA