3.5

2004 Chevrolet Corvette fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Corvette:

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 032016

Corvette

I had a strong fuel smell in my garage and a small puddle of fuel on my garage floor. I had gotten a recall notice from GM some time ago, took my car to the dealer at the time and they said they could do nothing unless there was a leak. Now, I have the leak, but GM refuses to fix the problem because some time period has expired. This leak has been repaired by another shop, but I am out over $2,000 for a problem GM knew could cause the car to burn up. I seek for GM to reimburse me for this repair of a critical safety issue.

- Rougemont, NC, USA

Oct 122016

Corvette

Leaving service station after filling car with fuel gas fumes were filling the car. Parked it in garage and next morning garage stunk of gas fumes. Backed car out of garage and saw no fuel leaking but fumes still very bad in car. Called local Chevrolet dealer and they said there was not a recall for this. Husband took car to auto shop and put on hoist, where a wet spot was found. Mechanic said the connector tube between the two gas tanks was wet from the gasoline. No way to take a photo because the area to look up and see the connector is so small.

- Washington, NC, USA

Apr 092012

Corvette

Fuel tank leak after filling tank. Sends cel code for evap system. Fuel leaks from tank onto exhaust pipe. Dealer will not fix. I never received a "recall" notice or bulletin.

- New Braunfels, TX, USA

May 252016

Corvette

Fuel leak from fuel lines or fuel tank. Dealer Chevrolet won't cover the charges, that it expired in 2014. I just bought the car last July.previous past away and didn't know anything about this problem.

- Simsboro, LA, USA

Sep 122016

Corvette

Large fuel leak coming from drivers side rear tire area. Leak seems to coming from the top of the fuel cell.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Sep 012016

Corvette 8-cyl

Fuel leak from passenger side tank. If tanks show anymore than 1/2 full I get dripping of fuel on the pavement. This happens right after the car has been running.. stationary or in motion. This is a severe fire hazard. The Chevrolet dealer explains that this complaint had an extended warranty but that has expired. GM should have a social obligation to fix a faulty design that is causing a fire hazard like this.

- Whitmore Lake, MI, USA

Jul 202016

Corvette

This car has 23,000 miles on it and I am the original owner. It has developed some sort of fuel leak one of the two fuel tanks or the connecting tube while sitting parked the garage. GM has know about this issue for years. They did not warn owners of these cars of this problem. Now that I have this issue I have discovered the GM would fix this if you discovered this problem in ten years or 100,000 miles. This is a major safety issue, the car could explode if a person walks by it in a parking lot, in an accident or parked in a parking structure. This car is now a ticking bomb due to the failure of GM to notify owners or this potential problem. All Corvettes are not daily drivers that is why the mileage is low. There are many cars out there with this problem. It is important that GM should have to notify all owners of this vintage of car of this issue and fix them before people get hurt or killed. Not only the owners of these vehicles are at risk, so is the general public.

- Granite Bay, CA, USA

Aug 012016

Corvette

I noticed a fuel smell in my garage from my car. I took it to a mechanic and he found that the tank was leaking as described in GM service bulletin 10150 in the connection of the crossover between the tanks. The car has 56000 miles on it. This is a known defect caused by the use of improperly mixed adhesive in the connector. I called the number on the service bulletin and GM said they would not cover the fix on this known defect because the arbitrary time they created for repair on this had lapsed.

- Leander, TX, USA

Jun 282016

Corvette

This request involves a safety bulletin [#0400C6], dated 2/8/2006 relating to the electronic column lock (ecl) for approximately 96% of all 220,000+ C-5 generation Corvettes. 2004 was the last year of production for the C-5 generation. Total production in 2004 is estimated to have been about 35,000: Out of this, 20,861 vehicles were covered by the above service bulletin, but as mine was assembled after VIN #45120862 until assembly began for the 2005 model year (C-6 generation), my VIN number was not included on page 2 of the bulletin. Prior to the steering column on my car locking on 6/28/2016 I had not been made aware that this perilous condition existed. GM has indicated that it will not provide any funds to offset the cost of repairing this fault because it was not included on any service bulletin. I believe that service bulletin #04006C was intended for (or should apply to) the entire C-5 production -- unless there is some reasonable explanation as to why my vehicle has been excluded (such as a different ecl configuration was used, etc.) in either event, I feel the company should honor my request for a full reimbursement for funds expended to replace the faulty ecl. I have written a letter to GM explaining the facts surrounding this request and have attached a copy of that letter for your review.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Nov 012015

Corvette

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Corvette. The contact stated while refueling the vehicle, fuel was leaking from under the vehicle. The contact mentioned that there was no fuel odor or leakage when driving the vehicle. The failure only occurred when the vehicle was being driven. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the filler neck needed to be replaced. No repairs was made to the vehicle. The failure mileage was 19,000.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Mar 272016

Corvette

The top of the left fuel tank is cracked and leaking fuel. This is a known problem for 2004 model Corvette's and Cadillac xlr's. GM refused to do a "recall" on this problem although it is very dangerous and could result in fire or death of the occupants.

- Blountville, TN, USA

Feb 012011

Corvette

2004 Corvette - fuel leak at crossover tube. Cracked fuel tank. Tank leaks when fueled. Strong odor of fuel in driver compartment. Fuel leak on ground at service station. This is a known defect and GM should be required to repair this defect. Has NHTSA made any effort to require GM to repair or recall these cars" if not, why"

- New Braunfels, TX, USA

Dec 042015

Corvette

Summary: In its June 30, 2010 response to ODI's information request letter, General Motors (GM) identified the leak source as cracks in either the fuel tank cross-over tube quick connector (connector) and/or the "hot-plate" weld joint of the connector to the tank.the root causes are attributed to errors in connector material processing, variations in the welding process, and high stresses placed on the driver's side connector during vehicle use.GM also identified the scope of the subject vehicles involved to be those produced from approximately October 22, 2003 through March 19, 2004.GM does not believe the cracks represent an unreasonable risk to motor vehicle safety based on factors that include; low rate of fuel leaking to the ground, detectable fuel odor, the cracks are at the top of the tank, leaks are detectable during refueling, small quantities of fuel that leaks out, and no associated property damage or personal injury claims.on August 13, 2010, GM issued a "special coverage adjustment" to remedy fuel tank quick connector leaks and extend the warranty for this issue to 10 years or 100,000 miles in certain 2004 Chevrolet Corvette and Cadillac xlr vehicles.vehicle owners will be notified by mail of the adjustment and will also be entitled to reimbursement for previously paid repairs covered under the adjustment.(see file for, service bulletin 10150: Special coverage adjustment-fuel tank quick connector leak).the closing of this investigation does not constitute a finding by NHTSA that a safety-related defect does not exist.the Agency reserves the right to take further action if warranted by the circumstances. www-ODI.NHTSA.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect/results.cfm?action_number=PE10015&searchtype=quicksearch&summary=true

- Hilo, HI, USA

Jul 282015

Corvette

Since purchasing the vehicle used in 2005, I always smelled gasoline fumes after a fill up. I always attributed it to spillage and the fact that the filler tube was about a foot from my head. This year the fumes began to persist, regardless of the quantity of gas in the tank. After returning from a 3 week vacation in July, we were greeted by overpowering gasoline fumes when we opened our garage. I am certain that the fumes were concentrated enough to start a fire, had there been a spark from a light switch or some other igniter. After ventilating the garage I searched for the source and for the first time saw a small gasoline leak on the floor of the garage under my 2004 Corvette. I immediately searched online and found that hundreds of complaints for a similar problem had been addressed by the NHTSA and Chevrolet, so I took it to my dealer, who verified I had the same problem and they replaced the left fuel tank and crossover pipe. The cost for parts, labor and tax was $3,676 and the dealer says that the repair for this known manufacturing defect is outside the extended warranty that Chevrolet agreed to, as noted in NHTSA action #: PE10015. I never received notification of the problem in 2010 or I would have had Chevrolet service check the vehicle for the problem at that time. I am currently in the process of contacting Chevrolet customer service, seeking reimbursement of all costs associated with this repair.

- Pompton Plains, NJ, USA

Jul 092015

Corvette

After a recent fill up, I smelled fuel in my garage after parking my 2004 Chevrolet Corvette for several hours. I checked online, and discovered that my car falls within the VIN range for the special coverage adjustment (#10150) issued in 2010. I took the car to a local Chevrolet dealership where it was diagnosed as a cracked fuel tank at the quick connector. Unfortunately, the 10-year limit has expired. My vehicle has just over 40,000 miles so the 100,000 mile limit hasn't been reached. The Chevrolet dealership won't replace it because the time limit is up. So far, General Motors hasn't offered to replace it either. They'll only contact the dealer to attempt to work out a more favorable deal. The quote I received for repair was $3,472. This is an extremely serious safety issue and a known defect, but GM will not address it properly. They'll offer free replacement to other vehicles with fuel leaks (06-09 cobalts) regardless of mileage or time, but not their flagship automobile. I would like the NHTSA to reexamine this very dangerous situation.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Apr 282015

Corvette

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Corvette. The contact noticed a strong odor of fuel when the tank was full. The dealer diagnosed that the driver side fuel tank connector was leaking. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 32,500.

- Freehold, NJ, USA

Apr 152015

Corvette 8-cyl

2004 Chevy Z06 Corvette has a fuel leak on top of the driver side above the fuel tank coming from the cross over tube. The plastic coupler has O-ring that I thinks has failed. I jacked the car up on my own took a bore scope up the coupler and it was cover in fuel. This vehicle has no trouble codes in the computer system. I used a snap-on modis scan tool to do a full sweep of the vehicle. The mil is not on, I think there should a evap light saying that hydrocarbons are escaping from the fuel system. Looking on line there is a lot of complains about C5 Corvette having this issue. Therefore being an automotive repair technician servicing cars for a living I feel action should be taking for the safety of the consumer, and the environment know that fuel vapors are escaping into the atmosphere. Plus with fuel leaking around the gas tank and the exhaust system running an inch and half away from it there is a potential of having a fire happen to someone valuable Corvette. The was a fuel odor long before the fuel cross over tube starting leak. At that point the gas cap on my car had fail to I replace that the fuel cap fuel smell went away. Using my snap -on modis, I was able to test the evap system and purge it with any trouble codes on or mil light being on or any issues what so ever. With the gas cap failing there should have been a PO440 code stating a large evap failure code. In this case there was nothing I call my local General Motors dealership they said, there should be a code to loose gas cap. I said, there was nothing and dealership was shocked. I thank you for taking the time to read my complain and hope appropriate actions to render is issue on C5 model Corvette.

- Bothell, WA, USA

Apr 042015

Corvette 8-cyl

Engine light came on, took to mechanic, fuel vapor/fuel leak identified, smoke test performed, source appears to be tank/tank straps.

- The Woodlands, TX, USA

Oct 272014

Corvette

I fill up the fuel tank. Got home and smelled gas real bad. Leaking under left tank. I called dealership.they will not do anything. They said to call GM. I called they will not do nothing. I have own GM all my life. I will not buy a GM no more, thanks

- Kernersville, NC, USA

Sep 022014

Corvette 8-cyl

Driving a 2004 Chevrolet Corvette at 65 mph and engine shut down, luckily able to coast to side of highway without an accident. I had car towed to local Chevrolet dealer-where vehicle was purchased 19 months prior) dealer stated that fuel pump inoperative and required replacement..the two fuel pumps( regular fuel pump and siphon fuel pump) located in fuel tanks, were replaced and all tanks and muffler were re-installed.the fuel pumps were not operating, so the fuel tanks were removed again, and a relay was found to be defective, fingers on relay were curled up and not allowing fuel pumps to run. The cost of replacing fuel pumps was charged to me at $2700, however the cost of replacing the relay and all parts removed to replace relay, was charged to Chevrolet for a defective relay.the vehicle was picked up from dealer by me on 9/18/2014;then returned 9/19/2014 as gas vapors were detected by me inside vehicle and in my garage. Dealer currently has vehicle-9/21/2014...updated 10/22/14 updated 4/7/2015

- Schenectady, NY, USA