2005 Chevrolet Corvette brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Corvette:

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Nov 052009

2005 Chevy Corvette, driving in straight line at 5 mph and the right front tire locks up because the computer applied the brakes. The dash display indicates "active handling". stopped car. Tried to drive again. Front tire locks up again. Turned car off. Restarted car. Now it works fine, lockup problem gone.

- Mount Vernon, WA, USA

Oct 092009

On 10/09/2009 while driving at 35mph on a single lane road without warning the active handling message displayed on the dic of my 2005 Chevrolet Corvette causing the vehicle to veer off the road. Fortunately I was able to avoid a collision. There was no warning and the car was being driven normally. This is the first time this has happened and I have not driven it since.

- Saint Petersburg, FL, USA

Sep 282009

In regards to a current investigation code EA09-002 with the ODI, which I found online, I would like to file the same complaint. Today I was driving at around 40 mph after making a right hand turn when all of a sudden the service active handling system appeared and my wheel pulled violently to the left. It did this repeatedly until I luckily was able to stop the car and restart it. Upon restart the active handling warning was no longer there and the car worked fine. 2005 Chevy Corvette 24K miles on car. For the price of this car and the low mileage this should not be happening. I fear if I was on the freeway this could have caused a fatal accident.

- Frisco, TX, USA

Sep 152009

Right front brake applied by its self when entering a highway turning left. Dic then displayed 'service active handling┐ message. This message had occurred many times in Aug. 2008 and there was a tsb out to correct it that was complied with 8/12/2008.

- West Unity, OH, USA

Sep 142009

EA09-002 service active handling/stability control warning message 2005 Corvette with electronic telescoping steering column. Message has displayed at least 8 times in the last 4 months. Less than 8K miles to date.

- Clayton, NJ, USA

Jul 052009

Active handling system on a 2005 6-speed Chevy Corvette activated while driving ~10mph through a parking lot and making a gentle right turn, seizing front left caliper until the car was brought to a complete stop. Disabling ahs eliminates issue, but system reactivates every start. Happened again exiting a highway just minutes later. Car has ~30K miles, with no accidents or problems in the past.

- Dummerston, VT, USA

May 102009

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 with 1sb package. Service active handling came on while driving, car swerved and almost hit a curb. Intermittently it comes on and off on start up. Car is out of warranty, and it is hard to reproduce this issue since it is intermittent. Current investigation number EA09-002.

- Harwood Heights, IL, USA

Jun 162009

The "service active handling system" warning keeping coming up while driving the car.

- Dana Point, CA, USA

Jan 022009

My active handling activates almost weekly at lower speeds while turning, even with the traction control off. The problem is it locks up the front brakes and I can not turn or move the vehicle!! while this may not sound too serious at low speeds, imagine pulling out into traffic and the brakes lock up on your car. It occurs pulling onto grass or loose gravel also, especially in turns. I have to turn the car off and restart it for it to move again. The active handling light comes on but will go away when restarted. The problem first occurred last fall and I finally addressed it with the local GM shop with tsb 06-02-35-0002B on 1/2/09 ($88.15 service), which added a clip to the swpc connector. It did not correct the problem long term. I do have stock size street tires on my car also.

- Paris, IL, USA

Jan 052009

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Corvette. The contact stated that the electric stability control was defective and the active handling engages automatically at different speeds. When manually disengaged, it will automatically re-engage if it senses a crash. When a crash is detected, the brakes lock and the steering turns. Prior to the failure, a warning light illuminates for the manual active control. The failure occurs at various speeds. The dealer could not duplicate the failure; however, they replaced the sensors and stated that more could be done. No work was performed on the vehicle prior to the failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 55,000 and current mileage was 70,000.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Jun 012009

Active handling system produced erratic handling and now I just had a warning that the active handling is recalibrating itself. I don't trust the car.

- Safety Harbor, FL, USA

Mar 292009

Active handling error displayed. Took car in for service on 3/23, dealer installed a wiring clip per tsb 06-02-35-002. Approximately 6 days later (while on vacation), while driving through an intersection, active handling indication in dic, right, front brake applied by computer/handling system. Right front wheel locked up. After a few seconds, the brake released, drove approximately 20 feet, problem happened again. Shut car off, restarted it, appeared ok. Luckily, I was only going about 25 mph. Took car to local dealer in fl. This dealer replaced the steering wheel position sensor.

- Waynesville, OH, USA

Sep 152008

Service active handling error appears on my dic at random times although nothing seems to be wrong. I can shut the engine down and turn it back on and the error does not appear. There are other times that it will reappear but the vehicle drives ok. I will turn active handling off when the error appears. It seems to appear only when I have key fob no 2 in my pocket. Because I've heard horror stories about active handling "taking over the vehicle" I'm very cautious about this function in the vehicle. I mentioned this to a dealer and they told me to ignore it since they couldn't get it to display.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 102008

There is a dangerous problem with my Corvette that I believe is tied to faults in the tire pressure monitoring system. I was driving on a freeway following a left curve when I felt the brakes grab. I saw "active handling" displayed; however, there was no reason for active handling to occur (roadway was dry, was driving at posted speed limit, was not making a sudden turning maneuver). Later I saw that the car was displaying a front right tire pressure of 0 psi, but no other warnings occurred (typically, a yellow warning light goes on an car displays a low tire pressure or right front tire flat warning when this occurs). I've had ongoing problems with the tire pressure monitoring system and Chevy has attempted repair once. Usually one of the front tires will read zero psi and the aforementioned warnings will appear, and the car's active handling system will engage more easily, then a few minutes later, the car will display normal tire pressures again. In the incident I'm describing here, there was no warning that the tire pressure was being read at zero, and no indication that active handling would engage so easily. This is a definite safety hazard that could result in loss of control or a crash. I have an appointment to get the car serviced in two days.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Aug 022006

I was driving approx. 40mph then out of nowhere service active handling was displayed a the cars brakes seem to lock up the vehicle. I was extremely concerned the car felt as if I was going to ejected out of the drivers seat. I seriously thought I soiled my pants. My car is a 2005 Corvette Z51 with 8000 pampered miles automatic trans. This is a verrrrry serious problem.

- Brunswick, OH, USA

May 262008

Active handling activated on my 2005 Corvette at about 35-40 mph locking and unlocking the brakes, repeatedly, on only the front right wheel. Was cruising at a steady speed in a straight line. Nearly lost control of car. Apparently this is a common occurrence with the C6 Corvettes. In the dealership now for repair. Dealer indicates the steering position sensor has failed. This is a very dangerous product defect!

- Harbor City, CA, USA