2005 Chevrolet Corvette electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Corvette:

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Feb 142013

Corvette 8-cyl

After about 30mins of run time low beam lights would shut off. After the vehicle was parked for a min 30mins low beams would work again. Feb2013 low beams would not work at all.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Aug 042007

Corvette

My car started having intermittent low beam outages as I was driving. When I say intermittent, I mean not every time I was driving would the low beams go off. But when they did go off, they stayed off until the next day. Luckily my side lights and high beams continued to work. However, within the last three months, they go out probably 99% of the time. I recently googled this problem and saw where I'm not the only one having this problem with the 2005 Corvette.

- Orlando, FL, USA

May 152013

Corvette 8-cyl

Low beam headlight stop working after cars engine comes to running temperature. I have spent many weeks looking online and speaking with other owners and the information coming back is consistent. Fuse box under the hood is faulty and will require replacement. No running headlights is a very serious vault in my book and thought I should report the issue. I contacted GM and they were of very little help. I am still trying to work with them in regards to resolving the this matter.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Jul 012006

Corvette 8-cyl

Since shortly after the car was new, I have had repeated problems with the airbag malfunction indicator lighting up. I have taken the car to various authorized dealers numerous times to have the problem repaired. In all cases, the problem seems to get corrected but then reappears anywhere from several weeks to several months later. It's my understanding that when the airbag malfunction indicator is illuminated the airbag system is non-functional.

- La Center, WA, USA

Nov 152012

Corvette

When first starting the car the head light come on, after driving for about 20 min. And the engine gets hot the head lights go out and will not come back on. Dash board stes head lights suggested.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Mar 042013

Corvette 8-cyl

Turn signal indicator began flashing rapidly to indicate the turn signal was not working properly. The front turn signal was not working. The turn signal bulb melted the internal socket so the internal harness system needs to be replaced. Chevrolet needs to issue a recall to change the specifications used for the turn signal light bulb so they do not melt and ruin the system.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jul 122011

Corvette 8-cyl

I was driving my Corvette down I10 at night when my low-beams disengaged, placing me in the dark and almost caused a wreck. I drove rest of the way with my high-beams. The next day when I started it, the low-beams came on, but after about 5 minutes they both went off. The high-beams still worked. I went to a local Corvette-certified master mechanic who checked the bulbs, fuses, relays, and electrical. He said that it appeared to be an issue with the fuse block. He wanted a lot of money to replace it, so I held off to check it out some more. Every day, once my car became warm, either from running or from the Arizona sun, my low-beams would turn off. I went to the Corvette forum, the largest Corvette online community, and the members knew what was going on immediately. They told me it was my fuse block and that many C6 Corvettes had the same issue...as the engine compartment heated up, the running lights failed. They told me let my car run until the lights went out and then place a bag of ice on the fuse block. I did and within 10 minutes the lights came back on. The folks in the forum said that this was a well-known safety-defect in the Corvette world and that Chevy refused to acknowledge it. I went to the Chevy dealer and told one of the service managers. She disappeared for 10 minutes and when she came back told me that they had never heard of this issue. They ignored what I told them and said they would need half a day to explore the electrical system and that even then, they may not find the issue. The Corvette forum recommended that I report this as a safety issue. Here is just once of their links which reported the same problem. forums.corvetteforum.com/C6-tech-performance/3019489-hid-headlight-failure-as-car-warms-up.html.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Oct 042011

Corvette 8-cyl

I was driving at night and the headlights turned off. After further incidents I discovered that the headlights work properly when the car is cold then after about 15 minutes the lo-beams go out. High beams and fog light function still works properly. The dash indicator on dash indicates lights are on even when they are not. It appears to be a thermal problem. You can drive a short distance and the headlights work properly. Park the car and drive it a short time later and the headlights don't work. I've discovered others on the internet have the same issue with the 2005 Corvette and they ended up having to replace the entire fuse box.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jul 072012

Corvette 8-cyl

Both low beam headlights went out at the same time driving home at night. Next day they were working fine when I started the car again. After driving about 15 minutes they both went out again.

- Owings Mills, MD, USA

Jun 012009

Corvette

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Corvette. While parked, the contact attempted to start the vehicle but it would not start. The contact disconnected the battery and was able to start the vehicle upon reconnecting the battery. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 37,000.

- Walkertown, NC, USA

Jun 032012

Corvette 8-cyl

My headlights stopped working. The light bulbs are fine and will work in the morning and it seems that it is a defect with the fuse box. In the morning when the fuse box is cold the lights will turn on. Afternoon and evening they fail due to temperature change. The fuse box needs to be replaced.

- Bethesda , MD, USA

Jun 042012

Corvette 8-cyl

Headlamps quit working while driving at night. Both headlamps did not turn on and I had to drive with the fog lights. I checked the relay and fuses which were all okay. This morning, they did work. I've researched other owner forums of which this incident has happened from a bad ground from an overheated fuse box in the engine compartment, with owners driving at night and driving lights going out inexplicably, which could lead to serious injury.

- Visalia, CA, USA

Jun 022012

Corvette 8-cyl

While turning in a corner on the highway, I lost power steering and I had smoke and debris flying out of the back of the car. Luckily there was nobody near me, and I managed to steer off the road safely. Looked in the engine and the accessory belt was shredded, which also destroyed the heat shield material on the inside of the hood. Got a friend to pick me up and we installed a new belt. Drove 0.5 miles and the belt flew completely off this time. Power steering completely died, and I could barely turn the wheel while being tailgated by cars. Cooling system failed, coolant flying all over the engine bay, under the car, and on the highway. I'm glad I wasn't killed. Checked all the pulleys and found that the crankshaft pulley bolt had backed out, which I later found out caused wobble on the belt and led the engine/car to fail. Got a tow to the nearest GM dealer. There are many complaints about this on internet Corvette forums, and GM is aware of the issue (tsb #05-06-01-001A). It seems like crashing and causing accidents would warrant a recall.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Aug 162010

Corvette 8-cyl

Upon complition of the recall servicing my car would not start the car's digital imformation center said service colume lock.....this problem was created by the dealership that performed the recall now for the last few months when ever I excellerate quickly I get an service active handling message and the brakes do apply and I get an unstable ride for a short period of time, after I come to a stop and cut the motor off the (dic) digital imformation center will no longer show the message. As a result of the recall servicing I have had constance errow messages stating....service colume lock, and service active handling. When the massage center reads service colume lock the car won't start, these problems started immeadily after the recall servicing. Please advised me of what can be done to correct this most distrubing problem....the dealership is not owning the problem they surely caused. Information redacted pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6)

- Tampa, FL, USA

Oct 132008

Corvette 8-cyl

I have had several incidents of dead battery syndrome (dbs) since I bought my 2005 Corvette in October 2008. The battery has been replaced at least 4 times. I have bought this to the dealers and GM's attention and they say that there is nothing wrong with the car. They refuse to acknowledge that this condition affects very many 2005 manual transmission cars with much data on the internet on forums and blogs. Many of us have found alternative methods to keep the car operable. GM needs to finally acknowledge this condition and issue a fix.

- Greenville, SC, USA

Aug 032011

Corvette 8-cyl

I was driving at approximately 20mph leaving my house when the active handling light came on along with ABS lights. My foot was on the gas and in first gear. Suddenly the breaks apply by themselves causing the car to veer left. At this point I could not control my steering wheel to correct the problem. This happens randomly and I can not duplicate the problem. It is very dangerous. I am worried if this happens at high speeds, a very bad accident can occur. This first occurred on 08/03/11. It happened for about 5 minutes when I left my house. I had to turn off all active handling and traction control for this to stop. I drove fine the rest of the day with it off. It did not happen again for a couple of weeks. Around 08/19/11, it happened again. This time at a best buy parking lot traveling at 10mph. I immediately contacted the maita Chevrolet dealership in elk grove, ca and took the car in the next day. I took the car in and they could not duplicate the problem. They said that there is nothing wrong with the car. I told them that it is not normal to drive the car and suddenly the brakes apply by themselves and veers to the left. They said there is nothing that they can do because they could not replicate the problem. I am worried that if this happens on the freeway while I am driving it can be a very dangerous situation for everyone. I am not sure what I can do but I know it is a safety issue.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Aug 102011

Corvette

Headlights randomly turning off once the fuse box in the engine bay is warm. When the car is cold the headlights work fine.

- Rocklin, CA, USA

Jul 042011

Corvette 8-cyl

While driving on I 40 in memphis, my 2005 Corvette initiated a warning to "service activew handling". the warnings then indicated a flat tire, and airbag fault, which all cleared. The warnings are erroneous, and can cause the system to react, shutting down traction control, slowing the vehicle and other measures, without warning. The driver door will not open unless emergency open is utilized.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Apr 162011

Corvette

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Corvette. The contact stated while driving approximately 30 to 40 mph the vehicle would suddenly stall without any warning. Within a few minutes, he was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who advised him that the battery line had frayed. The vehicle was repaired, but the component was unknown. Upon leaving the dealer the vehicle stalled again. The manufacturer was contacted and offered no assistance.

- Leeseburg, FL, USA

Oct 102007

Corvette

I was driving my 2005 Corvette in traffic and realized I need to be in the next line to make the next turn. I was stopped at a red light and there was no traffic in the lane next to me, so I turned the wheel sharply to the right and gave it a liitle gas. As I was straightening out the car shook violenlty, it felt like all four brakes where locking up and releasing randomly. I was able to pull over and come to a complete stop, but the car was still shaking. The active handling active was on the info center. I shut the car off and restarted it and everything was fine again. I took the car to the Chevy dealership and they did something with steering wheel position sensor.

- Vacaville, CA, USA