2005 Chevrolet Corvette engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Corvette:

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Owner Comments

Sep 212015

Corvette

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Corvette. The contact stated while driving 5 mph, the wheels seized, the brakes applied independently, and the vehicle failed to accelerate. During the failure, the service active handling system warning indicator illuminated. The failure had occurred approximately 3 times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the movement of the steering column caused a signal interruption within the column and a part in steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V172000 (steering). The failure mileage was approximately 73,000.

- Groveland, FL, USA

Feb 192015

Corvette 8-cyl

Just as leaving dealership for low beam recall, 2 miles, used cruise to 35 mph, 10 clicks of button to 45, then again to 55. When car reached 55, I felt the car nose forward like I cut cruise w/ tap of brake. I did not. Warning light/ cruise disengaged, still looking at dic car nosed down and squatted with warning light reduced power, this caused the car to slow to 35 and feel as though I was pumping the gas and brake alternately like when we were kids and used to watch the wife's head go back and forth. Before getting off road more lights and warnings. Its hard to say which came first, it all was happening fast and as a surprise. I know service active handling, traction control and ABS messages came on. Don't think they took priority over the reduced engine power though. I remember seeing it, all the way back to the dealer. Slowed and pulled into huge lot. Now it was my head doing the back and forth dance with the car @ idle, it sounded like the main bearings weren't getting any oil and wanted out of that engine at any cost. So upset with the bearing noise, I got back on the road (picking up rpms) headed back to dealer in a limp mode (35 mph) even when the posted speed went down to 25 mph, the car did not lower rps as I pressed harder on the brakes. There is more to complain about but that will remain between the service manager, GM, and myself to resolution. Stayed at dealership approx. 10 minutes. Car started fine and I left.I always drive the same, and when the car reached 55 mph at the exact same place, it all happened again the exact same way! had to bring the car home in limp mode, about 10 miles from home. Again @ 35 mph. Car remains parked, put away, and covered, until the dealership contacts me to return with it, by Tuesday of this coming week, so sayeth the GM rep. If not he wants me to call him back.

- Cottonport, LA, USA

Aug 032011

Corvette

I was driving my car on the freeway and was changing lanes and when I changed gears to accelerate, all of a sudden I got a "service active handling" message appear out of nowhere and I felt my car jerk a little bit while driving. I did take the car in before to have a clip (service recall) placed on my steering wheel to prevent the message from coming, but it now seems like it only comes when I accelerate too quickly at freeway speeds. Champion Chevrolet in houston (off beltway 8) has seen this car multiple times for this message in the past, yet I still get it occassionally. I just want my car to be safe.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 122011

Corvette 8-cyl

Traveling on interstate highway with cruise control on at 68 mph the left front brake locked up causing car to turn left and rear end start to swing around. A moment later brake is released and I regain control of vehicle. Chime and light on dash go on and stated "service active handling". the next day I took vehicle to local dealer they advised I needed a steering wheel position sensor and a yaw sensor for a cost of $1100. My concern is after I replace these sensors what happens the next time they fail and a front brake locks up. Shouldn't this be a fail safe system. When it fails a light should come on to warn me but not try to wreck me. Contacted Chevrolet customer service and they then put me in touch with the local Chevrolet district office. All I got from them was they cut the estimate to $550. They would not address the safety factor of locking one front wheel. There was a recall last year with the same symptoms of one front brake locking. I had the car serviced last year for this. It dealt with wiring in the steering column. They put a clip on it to stop chaffing. Dealer said this is not related to my current problem.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 292010

Corvette

My wife was driving our 2005 Corvette on a straight road at about 50 miles per hour when the car suddenly shot off to the left lane towards another vehicle. She lost all control of the vehicle and returned across the two lane road hitting the curb, which was about 6" tall, the car then left the ground and made contact with a guard rail that was two rails high. The impact on the guard rail was at the top about 3' from the ground. Behind the guard rail is a 75' drop to a grocery store parking lot. The car then came back across the road and stopped in the opposite direction traffic. The damage to the vehicle now stands at $20,000. She states that it felt as if the front left tire locked up and has no idea what happened from that point on. She was just holding on for dear life. Both air bags deployed and she has had a sore back since the accident. I now learned of the investigation EA09-002 that has been opened and something needs to done now!!

- Eldersburg, MD, USA

Oct 302009

Corvette

I have a 2005 Corvette. Sometimes, when I am applying the brake peddle, if my foot is slanted sideways, then I will also hit the throttle pedal also. When it first happened, I would panic and press harder on the brake pedal, which also pressed harder on the throttle pedal. Now I know to slide my foot more to the left off the gas. But it still can catch me off guard. Like today, when I almost backed through the rear of my garage. I have had the car since 2005. I am concerned that other people might be at risk.

- Rialto, CA, USA