2006 Chevrolet Corvette brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Corvette:

2006 Chevrolet Corvette Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jul 172011

Corvette 8-cyl

The "service active handling system" warning activates on my dash and car drives erratic. If I pull of the road and turn car off and then turn the car back on, the system will reset itself. Unfortunately the warning re-activates a day or so later. The car only has 16,500 miles on it.

- Dunkirk, MD, USA

Jan 012008

Corvette 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Corvette. The contact stated that the service active handling system light would illuminate on the instrumental panel while stopped. The vehicle had not been inspected by a dealer nor had it been repaired. The manufacturer had not been notified. The failure mileage was approximately 17,000. Updated 08/01/11 the consumer reported the problem to the dealer and they claimed they fixed the problem, but the problem continued. Updated 08/11/11

- Russellville, AL, USA

Mar 052011

Corvette 8-cyl

When driving the service active handling system warning light appears on the dash. I have had the original recall fix performed on my car (orange/red clip) and had the steering wheel positioning sensor replaced. The problem is now back again.

- Eugene, OR, USA

May 302011

Corvette 8-cyl

I own a 2006 Corvette and while driving on highway 270 in germantown, md the right front wheel of the car locked up for no reason. I was not braking turning or changing speed. I was cruising at a constant 60 mph when it all of a sudden locked up the front right wheel. It caused the car to run off the road into the shoulder! I was very lucky to be exactly where I was at the time or someone may have been killed! I looked into GM recall info and found there has been 3 different fixes for this problem. I also found that 2 of the 3 fixes have been done to this car by the previous owner and neither fix has worked. I am bringing the car into the dealer tomorrow after some quick research I found this problem to be very common to the 2005-2008 Corvettes. I can't believe GM has done nothing about this!

- Germantown, MD, USA

Sep 062006

Corvette

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Corvette. The contact stated the vehicle had a recurring failure with the stability control immediately after 6,500 miles. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for the failure, numerous times but the dealer stated the vehicle was normal; however, the failure became severe. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 48,000 and the current mileage was 47,750.

- Miami , FL, USA

Apr 042011

Corvette 8-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Corvette 79,000 miles, service active handling light comes on the display and also the traction control light at same time, once the rear wheel seized at 5mph, I was told by other Corvette owners that this was a problem with 2005-2009 Corvettes with tilt and telescopic steering column, however my car only has tilt steering and the problem seems to be the same as the recall that General Motors applied to the cars with tilt and telescopic steering column.

- Sumner, MS, USA

Aug 012010

Corvette

I drive a 2006 Chevy Corvette. I was driving out of a gas station when I applied some extra gas, giving the car some unwanted acceleration as I turned. The "active handling" sign lit up and the car bucked from left to right, and back again. Thankfully I was on a wide road and was able to come to a stop without injury to myself or others (or the car). Afterwards, a message popped up reading "service active handling system" and did not go away until I had shut the car off for a while. The problem has not happened since, but it did worry me enough to share the story here. Hope it helps.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Jan 062010

Corvette

My son owns a 2006 Corvette C6. He was driving for 2 years when his car went out of control and suffered a traumatic brain injury, in a coma for 6 months. His car had a "service traction stability control" indication on the dic twice within a 30 day period. He was quick to service this warning immediately with the Chevrolet dealership as the car was under warranty. Now I understand there is a real problem with the traction stability control for 2006 Corvette and GM has now issued a recall. To late my son has brain damage.

- Stuart, FL, USA

Oct 142010

Corvette

While driving my 2006 Corvette with 15,000 miles it suddenly veered to the right pulling the car off the road. The "check stability control system" came on the in dash computer.

- Ocean City, MD, USA

Aug 282009

Corvette

Back in 2007 I took my 2006 Corvette in to have it serviced because I had a message come up that said to service active handling system. There ended up being a recall on this and it was fixed. This lasted for just over a year and the message came up again, I went by the dealer who did the work and they said they would have to charge me for fixing it again because it had been over a year. My question is; has Chevrolet got a fix for this or just a bandaid? I have read that this can be a dangerous situation.

- El Dorado Hills, CA, USA

Jul 122010

Corvette

Service active handling error message on 2006 Corvette.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Apr 012010

Corvette

I have a 2006 Corvette and the "service active handling" message is displayed on my dic. When this message is diplayed it also turns off my traction control. This message displays about once every three times I drive the car. I have about 28K miles on the vehicle. I have noticed the message since about 22K. The message would go off so I didn't worry about it. Now that I have done some research, I can tell this is a serious problem. I have also noticed that I have a lite clicking noise in the rear when I 'm driving slow. I have no idea if this is related to this "service active handling" issue that everyone is experiencing. And after doing research I'm one of the lucky one that have not felt the repercusions of this defect. I refer to repercussions as wrecking my vehicle, hurting someone else, or hurting myself. Based on the seriousness of this problem GM should conduct a recall of the Corvettes that are affected by this issue. On behalf of the all Corvette owners please look into this issue, before anyone gets seriously injuried or killed.

- Fort Smith, AR, USA

Oct 122009

Corvette

2006 Corvette without telescoping wheel. Service active handling and service traction control lights show on dash display. Random pop up when driving, sitting at stop lights, idling. Car has gone into limp mode. Car has an electronic malfunction history dating back to 10/08 and is now beginning to do the same thing.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Aug 282009

Corvette

2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 loss of control due to right brake lock up after "service active handling" appearing in display. I was driving straight down the road at about 15 miles per hour and the car suddenly jerked to the right. I applied braking and stopped the vehicle before I hit a parked car.

- Studio City, CA, USA

Jul 092009

Corvette

My 2006 Corvette has problems with the "active handling system". the car has been taken back to the dealer 3 times when the "service active handling system" message appears on the dic. The dealer fix is only short term before the problem reappears. I feel that this could be a major safety issue and needs immediate attention. Thank-you.

- Reno, NV, USA

Jul 292009

Corvette

I have a 2006 Corvette, the service active handling message came on while driving. I carried it to my dealer and they installed a clip in the steering column and charged $130.

- Commerce, GA, USA

Jun 242009

Corvette

From time to time I receive a driver information center (dic) message "service active handling system". I have researched this message and have found there is a technical service bulletin issued by GM covering this issue. I have reseated the connector on the steering column outlined by the tsb eliminating the dic message for a few months when the message then returns. While this problem has not resulted in catastrophic failure, it has the potential to do so. I am concerned about this dic message and the potential that active handling could be compromised in such a way that the driver of our vehicle could loose control resulting in an accident. ODI investigation # EA09-002.

- Central City, CO, USA

Jun 012009

Corvette

Active handling system in 2006 Corvette Z06 engages at inappropriate times possibly leading to serious loss of control of vehicle and crash. Three times within the past 12 months the service active handling light has illuminated, and the "fixes" have not been permanent. I believe for the safety of all drivers a permanent solution for this problem should be produced by GM.

- Mundelein, IL, USA

Apr 052009

Corvette

I've got a 06 Z06 that tries to apply the rt front brake everytime I drive it. This started 3 months ago. I saw a # on th cf.eoa9002. This is a car I paid 72K for that isn't safe to drive at all. This happens everytime I drive it. There are complaints of this from dubai to the us for over a year now and many documented totaled 06 Z06's over this.

- Grand Junction, CO, USA

Aug 142008

Corvette

Message of "service active handling" comes up in display while driving. Usually during or after making turn. Message does not appear when car is restarted. It will appear at odd times without warning or noise.

- Fort Payne, AL, USA