2007 Chevrolet Corvette engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Corvette:

2007 Chevrolet Corvette Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 252013

Corvette

2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 with LS7 engine - excessive engine valve guide wear - per the GM valve wiggle test my car was found to have up to 3 times the acceptable engine valve to guide clearance at 24,139 miles. Some LS7 engines have had this issue, breaking a valve due to the excessive clearance causing the engine block to break open, spilling oil onto the rear tires while in forward motion causing a serious safety concern. Due to the safety concern the engine was disassembled and repaired. GM has known of this issue and replaced many LS7 engines which did explode due to the valve guide wear issue.

- Muscle Shoals, AL, USA

Feb 152016

Corvette

Making a left turn in a stoplight inter-section the motor failed shutting off all power to the vehicle...motor failed due to excessive valve guide wear...vehicle was in motion on a city street

- Brookfield, WI, USA

Feb 102016

Corvette

I have a 2007 Corvette Z06 with 43 K miles on it. I decided to have someone check my car because of the article I had read about the LS7 engines having valve guide issues. I was sure that they would be ok because the Corvette sites say it is only a minor amount of heads that were machined in correctly. I was having other work done to my Corvette so looked for a place that does mostly Corvette service, I told the mechanic to check my valve guides while he was doing the other work I was sure they would of been ok. Upon my surprise he sent me videos showing me that they were not ok and needed to be repaired. It cost me $1,950 to have my heads cnc and new valve guides and springs installed the old ones were very bad I have videos showing this, the car was running with little valve noise at the time but were still bad mechanic would not even dyno the car after seeing how bad they were.

- Hillsbourgh, NJ, USA

Dec 032015

Corvette

I was concerned about excessive valve train noise and after reading several corvette forum threads about improperly machined heads by GM's supplier linamar, and that numerous vehicles have had valves drop and ruin the engines, I took my car with 27000 miles on it to a corvette specialty shop to have my valve guide clearance tested. I had (2) intake valve guides outside of service specifications, (4) exhaust valve guides outside of service specifications, and a combination of (10) other intake and exhaust valve guides at or near the maximum outside of service specifications. The car is being repaired with proper re-machining of the heads to make the valve guides concentric, new intake and exhaust valve guides installed, as well as new seals, valves, springs, etc. 88% of the corvette forum members who have had their cylinder heads tested for excessive valve guide wear, were out of service specifications. Source: www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-registry.html GM needs to issue a recall on this issue, there have been numerous engine failures as a result of a dropped valve into a cylinder which can cause accidents and fires. GM is very aware of this issue, but refuses to do anything about this huge safety risk to drivers, passengers, and nearby vehicles if the engine fails going down the road.

- Federal Way, WA, USA

Aug 012007

Corvette

Iżve read several different posts about people with 2007 corvettes having problems with valves and dropping valves and losing control when this because of the power steering and brakes not working when this happens. I bought my 2007 Corvette Z06 new back in 2007 and Iżve always noticed valve noise and lately it seems a little louder. I hear the valve noise mostly driving it in town. IżM not sure if I should just wait for the valves to fail and take my chances or pay to have someone to pull the heads and check all the valves and repair any ones that are out of specification. So I think it's GM's responsibility to do a recall for this because in my opinion this is a defect and it would be very dangerous to drop a valve and lose control of my car. I spent a lot of money on this car and I just donżT feel I should need to pay anymore money to diagnose and fix this problem. My headlights stopped working tonight and luckily there is a recall for that problem.

- Bonita, CA, USA

Nov 222013

Corvette

The exhaust valve broke off, and engine blew up. I was driving on highway.

- Clifton, NJ, USA

Dec 012007

Corvette

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Corvette. While driving 45 mph, the vehicle made an abnormal noise coming from the roof panel. In addition, after a routine inspection, the technician diagnosed that the vehicle had an oil leak. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 09V491000 (structure). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 27,000.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Sep 092015

Corvette

I am extremely concerned about excessive valve train noise and after reading several corvette forum threads about improperly machined heads by GM's supplier linamar, and that numerous vehicles have had valves drop and ruin the engines causing a loss of control of the vehicle due to the engine stopping abruptly. 88% of the corvette forum members who have had their cylinder heads tested for excessive valve guide wear, were out of service specifications. Source: www.corvetteforum.com/forums/C6-Z06-discussion/3386141-the-out-of-spec-guide-wear-registry.html GM needs to issue a recall on this issue, there have been numerous engine failures as a result of a dropped valve into a cylinder which can cause severe accidents and fires. GM is very aware of this issue, but refuses to do anything about this huge safety risk to drivers, passengers, and nearby vehicles if the engine fails going down the road. It has been noted on the forum that GM is very aware of the issues and I assume they think no one will report them for not handling it correctly. The issue is this is a critical safety issue for anyone driving a 06-13 Z06 model on the road. I am to the point I don't feel safe to drive my vehicle anymore due to the loud 'ticking' valve-train as it is (symptom) meaning it is likely to fail at any moment seizing the engine while on the road. I have waited on GM for 6 years to do the correct thing on their own but I am now reporting it due to their gross negligence and disregard of their customers safety.

- Powder Springs, GA, USA

Sep 022015

Corvette

Valves of specifications. I had to pay out of pocket to get this fixed. If I would have dropped a valve while driving I could have loss control of my car. This is a known problem that Chevrolet refuses to acknowledge 2007 Z06 23884 miles 1 int.008" #1 exh.006" #3 int.0085" #3 exh.005" #5 int.0085" #5 exh.010" #7 int.009" #7 exh.005" #2 int.010" #2 exh.011" #4 int.010" #4 exh.012" #6 int.008" #6 exh.017" #8 int.007" #8 exh.006" max GM spec is.0037" which would roughly be.0075" on the wiggle test. So basiclly if the wiggle test is over.0075" the guides are out of spec.

- Phenix City, AL, USA

Jul 302015

Corvette

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Corvette. While driving approximately 50 mph, the contact applied the clutch to shift from second to third gear. When the clutch was released, the vehicle jerked as if the brakes were applied and the engine stalled. The contact engaged the clutch and maneuvered to the emergency lane. The contact was unable to restart the engine. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was discovered that a valve had fallen into cylinder one. As a result, the piston and cylinder wall were fractured. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 32,500.

- Hilmar, CA, USA

Jul 202015

Corvette

While driving the Corvette, the engine shut down with no notice. The dash indicated the vehicle had entered accessory mode. Power steering, power brakes and engine power were completely gone. Within a few seconds, the dic went from 'accessory mode' to 'shift into park'. in order to do so, I had to coast to a safe place. Once I got to a spot where I could move off the road, I shifted to park and restarted the car. It then drove on as usual, but there was no check engine light or other indicator. This happened only once this day, however occurred three additional times within 10 miles on the 23rd of July. I contacted a GM service technician who works at a Chevrolet dealership and he checked for any service bulletins or recalls. There were none for the Corvette. I searched the internet, and Corvette forum (I am a 10 year forum member). I found numerous instances of the ignition switch in 2005-2007 Corvettes failing in this manner. I located an ignition switch and replaced it. This fixed the problem in 15 minutes and for less than $50 at dealer retail. I know from other nhstc recalls on vehicles that ignition switch failures are considered a critical and dangerous failure. The failures in the Corvettes should be included in these recalls. If such a failure occurred during crossing traffic or while driving in close proximity interstate traffic, the results could easily be (and may already have been) deadly. Please consider initiating a recall, or including the affected years of Corvette in an existing recall. My car is now fixed due to my ability to search forums and other web based information, however most Corvette owners are not as involved or as web savvy and could be involved in a long drawn out problem/diagnosis process which would put their lives at risk. Thank you.

- Lavonia, GA, USA

Sep 132014

Corvette

While driving on the road at aprox. 45mph, my car exhaust valve dropped in the motor causing immediate engine failure also creating power steering and power brakes to stop working immediately. This same exhaust valve issues occurred with many other GM corvettes with the 7.0liter Z06 motor.

- Washington, DC, USA

Apr 092015

Corvette 8-cyl

Valve train rocker arms broken leaving needle bearings in the oil, and all valve guides were out of tolerance.

- Calhan, CO, USA

Feb 032015

Corvette

After months of reading about the exhaust valve issue with Corvette Z06's I took my car and had the heads checked. The shop found the valve guide clearance to be outside the specified acceptable range. The defect puts undue stress on the sodium filled valves and if the valve fails it can cause catastrophic engine damage and potentially deadly situation if this occurs at speed on the roadway as the driver will lose ability to control the vehicle potentially causing a deadly accident. I paid several thousand dollars out of pocket to fix this issue despite GM acknowledging there is an issue with these vehicles.

- New Port Richey, FL, USA

Feb 102015

Corvette

This model corvette can suddenly drop an engine valve (exhaust or intake) and unexpectedly develop a hole in the block accompanied with oil spilled on the roadway, smoke billowing with risk for vehicles behind and in front, and the risk for total loss of power steering, braking and control of the vehicle. The outcome if this happened on a freeway with cars traveling at a high rate of speed is potentially fatal. All of this is due to machining errors and supplier defects for the associated parts (valves, guides, etc.) on all 2006-2013 corvette C6 Z06's made by GM.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Feb 102015

Corvette 8-cyl

Wiggle test on all valves showed all exhaust valves with excessive guid where....safety issue....!!! this can and has led to catastrophic engine failure at freeway speeds.......

- Seattle, WA, USA

Oct 202014

Corvette 8-cyl

I took my car to american heritage performance in California and had the heads checked and they were all out of speck, at 16000 miles, and this car was only street driven, and had to have all this work done on a low mileage car was very upsetting, and in the end finding out that many cars have this problem. Having to get all this work done on a virtually new car is ridiculous..

- Oyama,Lakecountry B.C. Canada, AZ, USA

Nov 192014

Corvette

When I purchased the 2007 Corvette Z06, I was instructed to have the heads checked for excessive valve guide wear. I had the heads pulled and the valves examined by a local expert. He indicated that the valve guides were out of specification and needed replacement. I replaced these at my own expense of over $2000. Had the engine blown up as a result of this defective condition, the breaks and power steering would fail causing an accident. I would like GM to issue a recall on this model corvette.

- Sachse, TX, USA

Feb 252013

Corvette 8-cyl

At only 21,179 miles, my dealer inspected both cylinder head banks and found valve guide clearance to be well out of maximum allowed specification. This defect puts undue stress on the hollow, sodium-filled exhaust valves. If an exhaust valve breaks, the exhaust valve will drop into the combustion chamber, and cause a complete, catastrophic failure of the engine. This causes hazardous conditions for the driver, passenger, and surrounding traffic: The drive wheels may become locked as the engine seizes and the engine block may become windowed by a rod, causing a large spill of oil and coolant immediately under the vehicle on the roadway. These conditions could lead to a severe accident from a sudden spin and/or a fire. I have little confidence that the cylinder heads replaced on my car are free from the valve guide clearance defect. As more owners have become aware of the problem, replacement cylinder heads have been measured before installation on the engine and have been found to have defects in valve guide clearance and valve guide to seat concentricity, such as what could lead to a dropped exhaust valve and an accident. The vehicles should be recalled and fixed before any more serious accidents occur. Although my vehicle did not fail despite having the defect, I have seen a video of a spin caused by the failure, I have seen pictures of a vehicle after a fire caused by the failure, and I have seen reports of approximately 35 failures; all from corvetteforum.com. Therefore I am concerned about my safety when driving the vehicle and I believe the NHTSA should investigate the matter.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jan 072015

Corvette 8-cyl

Abnormal valve guide wear in cylinder heads considering age and mileage of vehicle. Potential catastrophic engine failure from dropped valve if not addressed. Chevrolet should fix whether vehicle still in warranty or not as is believed to be poor quality control resulting in machining errors.

- Taylorsville, NC, USA