2007 Chevrolet Corvette steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Corvette:

2007 Chevrolet Corvette Owner Comments

Nov 092011

Car tracsion control keeps turning off and gives error message "service active handling"

- La Crescenta, CA, USA

Jul 202015

While driving the Corvette, the engine shut down with no notice. The dash indicated the vehicle had entered accessory mode. Power steering, power brakes and engine power were completely gone. Within a few seconds, the dic went from 'accessory mode' to 'shift into park'. in order to do so, I had to coast to a safe place. Once I got to a spot where I could move off the road, I shifted to park and restarted the car. It then drove on as usual, but there was no check engine light or other indicator. This happened only once this day, however occurred three additional times within 10 miles on the 23rd of July. I contacted a GM service technician who works at a Chevrolet dealership and he checked for any service bulletins or recalls. There were none for the Corvette. I searched the internet, and Corvette forum (I am a 10 year forum member). I found numerous instances of the ignition switch in 2005-2007 Corvettes failing in this manner. I located an ignition switch and replaced it. This fixed the problem in 15 minutes and for less than $50 at dealer retail. I know from other nhstc recalls on vehicles that ignition switch failures are considered a critical and dangerous failure. The failures in the Corvettes should be included in these recalls. If such a failure occurred during crossing traffic or while driving in close proximity interstate traffic, the results could easily be (and may already have been) deadly. Please consider initiating a recall, or including the affected years of Corvette in an existing recall. My car is now fixed due to my ability to search forums and other web based information, however most Corvette owners are not as involved or as web savvy and could be involved in a long drawn out problem/diagnosis process which would put their lives at risk. Thank you.

- Lavonia, GA, USA

Sep 132014

While driving on the road at aprox. 45mph, my car exhaust valve dropped in the motor causing immediate engine failure also creating power steering and power brakes to stop working immediately. This same exhaust valve issues occurred with many other GM corvettes with the 7.0liter Z06 motor.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jun 022009

Corvette 8-cyl

This car intermittently locks the steering column. No reason. The engine shuts off at speed.

- Brighton, MI, USA

Feb 122014

Corvette 8-cyl

There is a serious an deadly problem with the design of the Michelin tires specified for the 2007 (an other) Corvette Z06. The side wall of the tire completely collapses while executing a sharp turn either going forward or backing up. Detailed discussion with supplier discount tire and second hand communication with the Michelin leads me to believe that Michelin and discount tire are both aware of the problem. The absolute fact is the tires do collapse when making a sharp turn. If one makes a sharp turn with any speed or acceleration will cause the tire's sidewall to collapse. Danger danger danger!!! the home link system also does not work and I got the run around for years with no action taken.

- Beaumont , TX, USA

Nov 052013

Corvette 8-cyl

I've had several instances of the "service active handling warning" come on, about once a week for the last month on my car in the drivers information display in the dash. About six months ago I had the same problem and had the fix prescribed by GM, a clip on the connector for the steering position sensor, installed. That stopped the issue until recently. Yesterday on my way home from work the system kicked on and locked the front right wheel repeatedly. It jerked the car to the right, pulling me partway off the road and almost into a ravine.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jun 142013

Corvette 8-cyl

A various times the message, "service active handling" appeared on the display. The active handling system was automatically turned off by the computer. I read about the issue on the Corvette forum and the Chevrolet service bulletin concerning the issue (bulletin # 06-02-35-002B). Since this is an extreme safety issue I wanted the repair done. Hendrick Chevrolet of cary, nc completed the repair. The service code had been set and the repair involved putting a little plastic comb at the electrical connection of the telescoping steering column. This was not a recall item, so I was charged. While it was $47.87 it was too much for a defective design on Chevrolet's most iconic automobile, the Corvette.

- Wake Forest, NC, USA

Mar 042013

Corvette 8-cyl

While turning into a gas station the vehicle front left brake locked and pulled the vehicle hard left hitting a curbed area. The active handling system error was displayed. I applied brakes, waited for a few seconds and was able to continue.

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

Jun 012012

Corvette 8-cyl

Every time I drive my car there's a message on the dic that tells me to service active handling system. This light comes on whenever it wants to. I have done some research and it looks like there are multiple Corvettes with this problem.

- Miami , FL, USA

Aug 172011

Corvette 8-cyl

Driving along and car starts swerving and brakes seem to apply, then I notice service ABS, service traction control and service active handling is on. This has been happening frequently for several months and now getting worse. Have tightened all connections by internally tightening the poor loose connectors and rerouting the wires to the swps to give more length. Now lights are on and will not go out, shows no codes with a scan reader. This is an 07 and I do not see that as a recall even though it is the same problems as the 05 & 06.

- Alva, FL, USA

Jun 202011

Corvette 8-cyl

On sharp turns, front right brake pulses and temporarily loss of steering occurs. Service active handling message appears on dic. Very dangerous. *

- Roselle, IL, USA

Sep 242009

We have a 2007 C6, 3 lt with only 9,400 miles.its over 3 years old so its out of warranty. We were driving in the mountains and heard a clunk and something fall within the steering column. We noticed the steering wheel got loose and was sort of sagging down. Got home and pulled the lower kick panel loose and found a pivot pin that goes in the left side of the tilt part of the steering column. When I pulled the covers off the steering column, I found the other pin about to fall out. I reinstalled them and everything seems to be okay now. Scary thought to be driving in the mountains, especially Colorado mountains, to think the steering wheel would fall off in your lap. I put the pins in 2 times the last time I put loctite on them. It has lasted about 7000 miles. Now the are lose again.

- Windsor, CO, USA

Sep 102010

I noticed my steering column was loose. I pulled the lower column cover off and the left steering column tilt pivot pin fell on the floor of the vehicle. I looked at the other side of the column, and the right pivot pin was halfway out. I tapped them back into place, and they went back into place easily. I have discovered another driver of the make and model who has told me that his pivot pins have fallen out more than once.

- Winter Springs, FL, USA

Aug 082007

Corvette 8-cyl

I have had my new 2007 Corvette for only a few days and have only 37 miles on it (26 miles at purchase), but I am already very disappointed in the vehicles steering. I have had 5 Corvettes and have always owned one as an adult and I truly feel that the steering in this 2007 Corvette is "unsafe". when driving home from the GM dealer, the vehicle skipped sideways on rough roads at a moderate speed (20-40 mph). I got online to the Corvette forum and was immediately referred to the Sep 07, car and driver magazine article specifically addressing this steering issue. The professional drivers in the article, rate the 2007 Corvette steering as "unsatisfactory and makes the drivers understandably nervous. GM has made huge improvements in the Chevy handling and has redesigned the steering in the 2008 Corvette with improved steering feel. I would really like something done. I am 59 years old and I want this to be my last Corvette, but I want a safe, responsive Corvette that is stable on the mountain roads where I live. I live in a small mountain town that has rough asphalt roads that highlight the 2007 Corvette steering problem. For someone else with a 2007 Corvette that has access to good roads and interstate highways, they may not notice the ?sideways skip? and the ?out of control" feeling that I get in this vehicle. The vehicle is unsafe and needs to be fixed I have requested that GM replace the steering in my 2007 with the 2008 or replace it with a 2008 Corvette. The service request number (srn) is 71-550-870-246. This is a manufacture defect and GM has solved this problem in the 2008 Corvette. GM has reviewed the problem and has stated that there is no recall at this time and has determined not to help me. They will not do anything until someone is killed or injured. Can you please help me.

- Monument, CO, USA

Aug 072007

Corvette 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Corvette. While driving 30 mph, the steering becomes difficult to maneuver and causes the vehicle to skid sideways. The contact called GM and they informed him that the failure was due to a manufacturer defect. There are no recalls available for this failure. The vehicle has not been to the dealer. The current mileage was 37 and failure mileage was 26. The consumer stated the vehicle skipped sideways while driving on rough roads at a moderate speed of 20-40 mph. The steering has an out of control feeling. Updated 09/18/07.

- Monument, CO, USA