Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: What’s that smell – it’s a tad sweet with a tinge of chemical toxicity? If you own a 2011 Cruze it’s probably a coolant leak. It’s a widespread and notorious problem for the car and is the subject of a class-action lawsuit filed in the state of New York. And that’s not the only problem 2011 owners face…

Many say the 2011 model year suffers from a throttle lag that is probably due to a fauly electronic throttle control. The problem is signifigant enough that some owners say they are too scared to drive their cars. Those that do get behind the wheel often say their transmission isn’t shifting properly and problems start occuring as early as 15,000 miles.

All of this leads us to say you’re probably better off without this car’s headaches (they’re probably chemically-induced anyway).

2011 Chevrolet Cruze brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze:

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Dec 262014

Cruze 4-cyl

Yes, I too had problems with my 2011 Chevy Cruze. I was very glad that nothing happened to me while I was driving the car, I was just sitting at an idle stage; when I had all the bells going off and it had told me that engine reduced power. I to had to go and get this fixed and again like everyone else it was the throttle body and fuel injection system; cost $460. Not even a month later now I have no heat in the car and reading all the forums sounds like I am going to have to replace a water pump; joy for me. At first I really did love this car, but I find that the after the warranty goes seems like the car is falling apart. We should not be having these issues this early in the car's life. I also find it very bad poor customer service on GM's part that they are turning a blind eye to this. These parts need to be recalled asap, why is no one doing anything about this?

- Walton, KY, USA

Jan 112015

Cruze 4-cyl

Three weeks ago, I started hearing a noise from the back left tire. Two days ago the esp and traction light went on as well as the brake fluid light. Everything just started hitting at the same time. I think the car is rigged to have everything go bad once the warranty period is up. Would like to know if this is covered since so many people are having problems with it. I can't afford to fix it but this is my only means of transportation.

- Statesboro, GA, USA

Jan 272014

Cruze 4-cyl

While driving at no specific speed the car alerts and says check engine, reduced engine speed, and check stabilizer traction control. The engine then powers down and will not accelerate. I was recently driving and this happened, to avoid an accident I ended up in a ditch and had to be towed out. I had the car repaired which was costly and was not covered under the power train warranty Chevy offers. I feel that this is a very dangerous defect on the car and should be addressed as a recall, due to the first time I tried to have the car repaired I was told it was gonna be 4-6 weeks to wait on the part because they were on back order because they have had quite a few cars with the same problem. When I addressed this issue with Chevy they had no concern that a car losing power while traveling was no big deal. I was nearly rear ended by a semi-truck and was forced into a ditch.

- Kankakee, IL, USA

Dec 192014

Leaving a parking lot the instrument panel began to blink on and off every check engine light started to come on and off. Power steering was lost for a short period. Still in the parking lot at a stop sign turn the engine off. The car was completely dead, no lights no clicking noise when you attempt to re start. Opened hood checked the new battery wiggled the cables interior lights came on and car started up. Since then it has happened numerous times each event getting worse. Eventually it died and was towed to the dealership and is being looked at. This seems to be common with Chevrolet Cruze.

- Bluemont, VA, USA

Nov 282014

Cruze 4-cyl

The electronic stability control lights keep flashing on and off while driving. I will be driving my car then the light warning light will flash, and all lights in the dashboard will blink on and off. The blinker noise will turn off then on again. However, the elec. Stability control light does not stay on permanently. It's like my car does it when it feels like it. I have to turn my car off for a few min and start it again to get it back to normal. This happens at any location and speed. Yesterday 11/27/14 this occurred and steering became difficult. I have taken my Cruze in before regarding this and was told it could not be duplicated, therefore there was no problem. I do not want to be driving my car in fear of safety. I have made another appt at another dealership and was already told they would have the car all day and do not provide any type of courtesy car...that I would have to rent a car. This service also "may or may not be covered under warranty" because my Cruze is from 2011 and currently have over 50K miles on it. I love my Cruze, but the service regarding this issue is terrible and needs to be addressed. Vehicle safety is on the line.

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Oct 142014

Cruze 4-cyl

Engine shaking violently while idling. Stabiltrak warning on. Acting like it was going to die. Scared it would die while in traffic.

- Embarrass, MN, USA

Sep 182014

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Cruze. While driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle stalled and the esp warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was able to restart. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Council Bluff, IA, USA

Jul 192014

Cruze 4-cyl

This exact same thing has happened 2 times. While driving normally 'service esp' and 'service traction control' warnings come on along with the engine light and the 'stabilitrak' light. The engine remains running but does not supply power to the wheels resulting in a total loss of power to the car. The first time it happened, I took it to a certified Chevy dealer who told me it was a battery issue and replaced the battery. Didn't work. Happened again within a week. This situation is very unsafe as the vehicle could be stuck powerless in the middle of a turn or a number of other dangerous situation. The car is not on GM's recall list for any of the ongoing recall issues.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 142014

Cruze 4-cyl

Driving and the stabilitrak needs to be serviced comes on. Nothing the dash controls works correctly. The speedometer goes from 0-the speed your are going and back down to 0 every thirty seconds. Cruise will not work. RPM does the same. When driving there is a slight hesitation in speed each time. Had to stop on the way home and it continued whether I turned vehicle off or not. Went away the next day. Took it to a certified tech he ran the codes and nothing came back on the computer. This has happened two more times with no luck. Please take the time to look into it.

- Lapeer, MI, USA

Dec 012013

Cruze 4-cyl

Radio flashes on and off an instrument cluster is flashing warning light. Engine runs rough sometimes and ac blower motor turned on and off sometimes and turn signal indicator continue flashing but does not make it usual but clicking and then resumes clicking noise.

- Austin, TX, USA

Mar 202014

Cruze 4-cyl

I bought my Cruze in November at 11000 miles. I had no issues with it at all until March 21 at 21000 miles. I was driving on the highway it had been a long trip and my car lit up service stabilitrak and service traction control warning lights and power steering. Along with my dash (speedometer, odometer going haywire) no engines problem just that light I called the dealer who said they never heard of it and it was probably a flute. About a month later it happened again then about may it was happening once a week not even on long drives no more on my morning commute to work and a couple of times the check engine light came on not all the time. On June 5 at 22000 miles my cars controls came on this time though my ABS light came on along with my parking break and check engine light. Then my car in the middle of the downtime dallas on the highway my car just stops accelerating and slowly came to a complete stop and I barely made it to the side of the road! it was so scary. I turned my car off and back on all the lights were off except the check engine light I went to autozone and they gave me the codes it was reading. On my way home it did the same thing and it is just the scariest thing. I went to the dealership and they don't know why it's doing it and want me to pay over 600 just to find out not to even fix it just to see why! this is there issue not mine I feel like ima crash everytime I drive it. I even told them driving it I feel like my life is in danger and they pretty much said that's my issue now when I was sold the car the warranty was out and they didn't offer me a extended I don't know what to do! this needs to be a recall I've read online of others reporting this and they agree it is something that could potentially kill someone.

- Royse City, TX, USA

Apr 302014

Cruze 4-cyl

On April 30 2014, around 11:00 am the car was taken for service to a Chevrolet dealer for a wheel alignment, steering and suspension system inspection and air pressure condition check, the Chevy Cruze was at the service dealer for aprox four hours, we then came home, around 5:30 we went to a shopping center to buy something and on the way back home, aprox six blocks from our home we stop on a stop sign on a curb/angle street divider by a small curb with trees, we then try to proceed and bare right but the car made some kind of a noise and went left going over small curb and hitting a tree, we where going aprox 15 to 20 mph at the time of impact the police came and made a report, no summons where issue because the police officer look at the scene and comment that it looks like the car loss power/ control of the steering, brakes and could not be control. The car was a total loss since it was damages in front/engine/air bags/etc. We know for facts that this 2011 Chevrolet Cruze have many recalls including steering shaft separations/brakes/steering problems.etc.

- Miami, FL, USA

Dec 182013

Cruze 4-cyl

I was driving and all the sudden my car slowed down, a message came up that said "engine power reduced". I could not drive and had no acceleration ability. This has happened several times, and now it is happening frequently and completely stalls out.

- Brookville, PA, USA

Feb 142014

Cruze 4-cyl

Has happened multiple times starting about a month ago, either when idle at a light, driving around town or on the freeway (I have not been at full hwy speed when this has occurred) the stabilitrak warning comes on and engine power is reduced to practically nothing, I can't travel other than at a snail's space, with absolutely no acceleration to help get out of the way. Drive train shakes a little. Very dangerous position to be in. I tried to shut off the stabilitrak and that seemed to work until the last incidence when the issue occurred with stabilitrak turned off. The only way I can get the car to reset is to shut it off for a few seconds and turn it back on. Might go a few days without any concerns, then all of a sudden, it starts up again. Engine light stays on for a few on/off cycles then goes away.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Feb 052014

Cruze 4-cyl

While parked in a parking lot waiting for the snowy conditions to slow down, I waited about 15 minutes with my car on idle. I pulled out of the parking spot to go to my destination. As I was on drive, my car slowed down to 5 mph and couldn't accelerate, message pulled up on my screen saying "engine power is reduced". took it to the dealership and quoted me $500 to fix the valve body system. I've read on a forum that this is a common problem for this model.

- Milford, MI, USA

Feb 032014

Cruze 4-cyl

My 2011 Chevy Cruze ltz went in to reduced engine power mode and said to service stabilitrak and traction control. This happened in below freezing temperatures with frozen precipitation on the ground. Research online indicates this is a common problem with Chevy Cruze vehicles. The car was drive able after powering down for a few seconds, but a few miles down the road it would go into reduced engine power mode again. This has happened multiple times over the last week. Likely throttle body problem.

- Seminole, OK, USA

Dec 102013

Cruze 4-cyl

Driving home from work on busy tollway, after it snowed all of a sudden my service stabilitrak-reduced engine power lights came on. The car cut to 20 miles per hour.I couldn't go any faster and nowhere to pull over since the tollway was under off the tollway called the dealer to take it in.the Chevy dealer told me to shut the car off wait 5 min. It will reset. Ok it did, took it the next day to Chevy, they cant find anything wrong, took it home. Went to work 3 days later it did it again I brought it back to Chevy still cant find out what is wrong.this car has continued to do this 15 more times.the reason why I am telling you this is because there is a problem with these cars there have been more Chevy Cruze with the same problem.I am afraid to drive this car I have borrowed a car to get to work, the first time this happened to me on the tollway I thought my life was over it could have caused a serious accident im glad im here to tell someone about my problem and hope someone takes some action with it.

- Marengo, IL, USA

Jul 192012

Cruze 4-cyl

While driving 2011 Chevrolet Cruze the service lights for ABS and stabilitrak begin intermittently illuminating at the same time, remaining on for random periods of time.

- Valparaiso, IN, USA

Feb 102012

Cruze 4-cyl

2-10-12 - 15422 mileage car towed to dealership - would start / shifter would go into gear / car would not drive - check engine, traction control & stabilitrak light were on. - shaft detent lever switch replaced. 3-12-12 - 16471 mileage - brought to dealership car would not engage from the stop position to acceleration & poor gas mileage since 2-10 repair - caused to roll into intersection. - control solenoid valve & transmission control module replaced. Could not duplicate gas mileage problem 4-25-12 - brought into dealership for loud popping & jolting into gear from the stop position to acceleration - dealer ship could not duplicate/ no repair 5-5-12 17661 mileage car towed to dealership - driving on highway 65mph / burning smell coming through A/C vents/ transmission hot (overheat) /traction control & stabilitrak light appeared. Dealer ship could not duplicate/ no repair ( opened case with GM 71-1069459525) 5-18-12 18165 mileage car towed to dealership - driving on highway 65mph / burning smell coming through A/C vents/ transmission hot (overheat) /traction control & stabilitrak light & transmission light appeared. Plus continued poor gas mileage since 2/12 fix. Transmission control module replaced (again) 6-6-12 18800 mileage brought to dealership ( currently there) transmission light appeared upon starting the engine after sitting for 8hrs. - intermittent burning smell from engine noticed after 15-20 mile drives

- Richland Hills, TX, USA

Dec 312011

Car would not accelerate while at a stoplight, with cars behind me. Radio readout said, "stabilitrak turned off"; dash readout said, "engine power reduced!". I could not accelerate past 1st gear. I had aaa tow the vehicle to a local dealership, and I was told the throttle body needed to be replaced because the throttle would not open.

- Hellertown, PA, USA