Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: What’s that smell – it’s a tad sweet with a tinge of chemical toxicity? If you own a 2011 Cruze it’s probably a coolant leak. It’s a widespread and notorious problem for the car and is the subject of a class-action lawsuit filed in the state of New York. And that’s not the only problem 2011 owners face…

Many say the 2011 model year suffers from a throttle lag that is probably due to a fauly electronic throttle control. The problem is signifigant enough that some owners say they are too scared to drive their cars. Those that do get behind the wheel often say their transmission isn’t shifting properly and problems start occuring as early as 15,000 miles.

All of this leads us to say you’re probably better off without this car’s headaches (they’re probably chemically-induced anyway).

2011 Chevrolet Cruze drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze:

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Apr 062015

While driving the vehicle the engine light came on. The car only has $60,000 on it but we took it in because the engine would just randomly stop and the car would stall. The vehicle when brought into the dealership, had been inspected and the car was missing parts. The intake manifold non return valve was missing. There was a vacuum leak at the PCV orifice external port. Water pump was leaking from bolt holes and cover plate. Coolant leak was found even though a few months prior to the leak, Chevy "fixed" the recalled item. I believe that the vehicle has many faulty parts and this is the second time I have written a complaint about this company using faulty parts in there manufacturing process.

- Gilberts, IL, USA

Feb 112015

Cruze 4-cyl

Never had any problems with this vehicle indicating that this would suddenly happen but it did. I would heat up my car in the morning and the reduced engine light would come on, I would turn the car off and then back on in a couple of minutes and it would drive fine. This happened a few times but then I was driving about 55 mph and then all of a sudden the engine and stabilitrac light comes on and says reduced engine power and the car slows down about 5 mph immediately. This occurred 3 times on my way home that is normally only a 10 minute drive, the very next morning it did it again when starting it up in the morning to take it to the dealership. This happens in the middle of traffic and thankfully did not cause an accident but it could if this would of happened on the expressway. There are several complaints on this issue with the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze on the complaint forums about the throttle body (dealership confirmed this issue). This is very dangerous!

- Lansing, MI, USA

Feb 212015

Cruze 4-cyl

My Chevrolet dealer informed me that my 2011 Chevy Cruze has a leak in the transmission oil cooler lines. Is there or will there be a recall for this problem. I noticed (NHTSA campaign number:14V152000) the Chevy Silverado, Suburban, Sierra, Tahoe, and Yukon had a recall for transmission cooler line issues. Please let me know if/when Chevrolet will reimburse for the replacement and repair for this health and safety issue(potential vehicle fire). Thank you for your attention regarding this matter.

- Hillsborough, NJ, USA

Feb 032014

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that after reversing and putting the vehicle into drive, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle hesitated to accelerate. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 15,000.

- Salem , AR, USA

Feb 192015

Cruze 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that while driving at 70 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact also stated that the lost power, the electronic stability control, and the service traction control warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where it was diagnosed that the throttle body control needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 80,000. Updated 04/10/15 the consumer stated the dealer advised the throttle body needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted but did not offer any assistance. Updated 11/5/2015

- Girard, PA, USA

Feb 062015

Cruze 4-cyl

The vehicle stopped moving while cruising on the highway. The clutch and the flywheel stopped working randomly causing the vehicle to stop accelerating. Brought to two separate dealers who say we have to replace the parts. Very concerned this is a faulty part, not worn out from the driver.

- Gilberts, IL, USA

Feb 052015

Cruze 4-cyl

While driving I lost engine power and had no foot throttle. The check light came on that stated reduced engine power and check stabilatrak. Shutting car off and restart did not fix. My car would not go over 4mph and I was nearly rear ended.

- Farmdale, OH, USA

Jan 012015

Cruze 4-cyl

The Chevrolet Cruze 2011 is compromised by hacking and tampering and allows for the endangerment of the drive, other motor vehicle drivers or pedestrians. The radio antenna will sound off and constantly make a roaming noise as if being accessed. This is at every stop sign and every stop light or every destination reached by gps markers. The Cruze system is allowing the 24/7 tracking when it is used and tampering with the intent to cause malfunction or annoyance. The throttle is being cut off deliberately at stop signs, and traffic lights and destinations, the radio antenna will constantly make a roaming noise "searching or access". the vehicle is deliberately being used for stalking blacks for hate crimes while testing out vehicle halting systems by clearly satellite. This has happened 100 or so times in the 3 year I have had the vehicle and there is no remedy. When other persons use my own vehicle these issue do not arise and I have confirmed this with other owners, my vehicle is a unique occurrence that involves also a hate crime in public, police stalking, law enforcement stalking, home stalking and tampering of all electronic devices I own or use in my home. This car is not safe and the throttle cut offs are deliberate and specific. The throttle as I said already is cut off at a stop sign or mid acceleration with the intent to remove operator control and halt the vehicle. The lights are turned on and off on their own on one occasion. I have had other people test the car, these things do not occur even while I am in the passenger side. Only when I am the sole individual driving the vehicle alone is the throttle cut off and the lights tampered with including the antenna for stalking and tracking where I go. This is my second filing to address white supremacy under the color or law that interferes with personal property and use and control of property.

- New Paltz, NY, USA

Oct 152014

I was pulling out of a gas station, use to my normal power and almost got hit because my car wouldn't go over 15mph floored. Then looked down and saw a engine power is reduced, service stabili trak and service traction control. So I took to a mechanic he hooked it up and the code showed up as my throttle body position sensor. They replaced it and drove it and it drove fine for about two weeks. I was just going down the road then all of a sudden my car did the same thing. I lost power so fast that I about got rear ended. Took it back to the body shop and showed the same code so they replaced the part again. And two days after all this my car is doing this again. This is extremely dangerous at how it looses engine power. It looses it so fast that someone can get hurt extremely bad.

- Rutledge , TN, USA

Oct 182014

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Cruze. While driving 65 mph, the vehicle started jerking and the contact was unable to shift gears. The engine stalled and was taken to the dealer, but the failure could not be diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 67,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Nov 182014

Cruze 4-cyl

The vehicle would not shift out of park nor remove the key. The wheel was locked as well as the shift lever. The car would turn on however would not move. There was no lights in the vehicle.

- Garden City, MI, USA

Nov 182014

Vehicle has had water pump replaced earlier this year under warranty - and had the turbo charger replaced last week under warranty. Not covered under warranty last week was a "leaking" battery. Since battery was original - I felt it was worth replacing. Yesterday, while driving to work, the check engine light came on and the heater stopped working. Today - the dealer calls me and states that they need to replace a hose and outlet. There was no leak yesterday - and they state that there is a leak and this is the reason. They want $250 for repairs. The hose was fine yesterday - and the outlet should have been replaced with the water pump (actually they should have replaced the hose at that time also). No response from GM quality care. Over $500 in the last two weeks - and I am not certain that this issue is over. It has also had two computers replaced when I first got it.

- Royse City, TX, USA

Oct 042014

Cruze 4-cyl

Oil leakage on top of engine, smell of burning oil, loud sound of vehicle, car misfires.

- Wakefield, MI, USA

Aug 082014

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Cruze. While driving approximately 73 mph, the vehicle decelerated and the traction control, power steering, and transmission hot warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 1,000.

- Victorville, CA, USA

Sep 182014

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Cruze. While driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle stalled and the esp warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was able to restart. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Council Bluff, IA, USA

Sep 122014

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Cruze. While driving 65-70 mph, the accelerator pedal extended to the floorboard when it was depressed and the contact heard an abnormal noise coming from the engine. The check engine warning indicator illuminated. Additionally, while the vehicle was at a complete stop, the accelerator pedal was depressed, but the vehicle only accelerated to 5 mph. The dealer stated that the transmission fluid needed to be flushed. The vehicle was repaired. The contact stated that the transmission was hot and the engine warning indicator illuminated. The dealer stated that the failure was normal wear and tear. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 139,200.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Apr 042013

Cruze 4-cyl

Engine has stalled acceleration also known as throttle lag it is dangerous because you don't know when its going to do it and could cause an accident when pulling out into traffic. Also transmission has a delayed engaging intraffic when you are stopped.

- Glasgow, KY, USA

Mar 172011

Cruze 4-cyl

We have a loss of engine power at any speed and two errors come up, "service stabilitrack" and "service traction control". engine loses power and cannot maintain speed especially dangerous when trying to maintain freeway speeds. Also happens at low speeds, 10 to 25 mph. Therefore it can happen at any speed. Can reset by removing battery cable, but will happen again within a day or two. This issue started about 6 months ago. Happens all the time now and is very dangerous. Went on line and found blogs where other people are also having this same issue. They are the ones that suggested we take off the battery cable to reset. We checked all the fuses as one blog said and they are all ok. Called Chevy dealer and they had no recall and wanted 100 dollars to look at it and then decide if it fell under warranty. Purchased car at 43,000 miles, currently at 73,000 miles. The issue used to happen from time to time now it happens all the time. There should be a recall for this issue. The dealership does not think it is covered by the warranty but will not say until we take it in to have it serviced. We might add we have a standard transmission as this may different than the automatic transmissions. Trying to shift without any engine power is a process in terror on the freeway.

- Oak Grove, MO, USA

Aug 012014

Cruze 4-cyl

When taking off sometimes it launches fine like a normal car! but 40% of the time it stalls out, than decides to go, which has cause me to almost be hit multiple times. Since the first time it happened, its happening more often and shifting harder and harder. If this keeps up im gonna lose my transmission when I really need it pulling out into traffic. I bought a car to be reliable and safe to drive, now I am afraid to pull out into traffic because of the chance it may not go, as if its stuck in neutral. The GM diagnosis was it couldn't be re created and no codes so its performing fine! this is caused me to be scared for my life at times and makes me very nervous during driving now. Tried to talk to GM Corp about it and the sent me to GM diagnosis to know what's wrong but I've done this and they say nothing is wrong! anyone is welcome to take my car out for a drive to experience the fact that it is not operating right. Please help figure out this problem. Found many other stories like this on other Cruze owners. We need to figure this out before its a recall issues and takes lives!

- Upland, IN, USA

Mar 072013

On February 17th, 2012 I purchased a 2011 Chevrolet Cruze from a local dealership. Unbeknownst to me by July of 2014 my car would be in two different dealerships on five separate occasions for transmission problems. March 7th, 2013 (32,512 miles); repair: Checked for codes, no transmission code; vehicle re-programmed with updated software. September 30th, 2013 (36,623 miles); repair: Transmission removed, found metal contaminating pistons, tcm failure, transmission reassembled. October 17th, 2013 (36,967 miles); repair: Technician test drove with customer, verified concern. Hesitation, hard downshift experienced shudder from stop. Compared to a stock vehicle; same hesitation and hard downshift however does not exhibit acceleration bump from stop. Vehicle repair (completed 7 days later on October 24th, 2013): Failed tcm and valve body, verified on test drive. Replaced tcm and valve body. January 23rd, 2014 (mileage unknown, was not provided with work order for this visit); dealership would not confirm problem after driving vehicle for only 15 miles. They were informed that the issue is random and not constant. No repairs performed on this visit. Since being turned away by the original dealership on January 23rd, 2014 I recorded approximately 19 instances of my vehicle either hesitating, "chugging" when accelerating, "banging" itself into gear, almost stalling, and the vehicle actually "jumping" forward while my foot was on the break at stop lights. It was when I almost stalled within a 6 way intersection that I contacted another Chevrolet dealership (July 10th, 2014) for a second opinion. Within two days of leaving my vehicle at the dealership (July 24th, 2014) it was confirmed by the service manager that in fact the car was not driving properly. The vehicle is still at the dealership as of today (July 30th, 2014). This is not a vehicle I feel is safe or reliable.

- Poughkeepsie, NY, USA