CarComplaints.com Notes: What’s that smell – it’s a tad sweet with a tinge of chemical toxicity? If you own a 2011 Cruze it’s probably a coolant leak. It’s a widespread and notorious problem for the car and is the subject of a class-action lawsuit filed in the state of New York. And that’s not the only problem 2011 owners face…

Many say the 2011 model year suffers from a throttle lag that is probably due to a fauly electronic throttle control. The problem is signifigant enough that some owners say they are too scared to drive their cars. Those that do get behind the wheel often say their transmission isn’t shifting properly and problems start occuring as early as 15,000 miles.

All of this leads us to say you’re probably better off without this car’s headaches (they’re probably chemically-induced anyway).

2011 Chevrolet Cruze engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze:

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments (Page 2 of 7)

Dec 052015

Cruze

On 12-5-15 I was on my way to ct from mass and was on 91. About 45 minutes into the trip the car began to loose power and the check engine light came on and the service stablitrack light came on. As soon as the light came on the temperature gauge and RPM gauge would fling up and down quickly! I immediately went from 65 mph to 30 mph.( I was almost rear ended by a car behind me) I coasted my way to the right lane and was able to get off the exit. The car took about 4 hours to go back to normal. ( I returned to mass, I had to take the back way home and avoid the highway as the car still had reduce speed) the car will return to normal and the check engine light will go off. Everyday now the check engine light will come on and it will say service stablitrack. The car immediately looses power and you can hear the engine (sounds like a fan blowing hard) the transmission will not shift. The RPM will jump to 4-5 while only getting to a speed of 35 mph. The dealer has no idea what I am talking about. This car was bought in January of 2015 and has less than 65,000 miles on it. I have read a few complaints about this similar situation happening to the same car I have. This is a safety issue!!! the car has been serviced on time!!! please help me!! I refuse to take the highway as I never know when this is going to happen.....

- Monson, MA, USA

Oct 012014

Cruze

Engine coolant smell inside cabin. Heat must be on. The vapors are strong enough to irritate the eyes and throat. This vehicle was purchased during summer and smell started when it turned cold and has continued

- Westminster, MA, USA

Sep 232015

Cruze

A recall on the valve- cover gasket potentially causing a fire from oil leakage has been reported in the local paper, but not on my make/model. I have the oil leakage and can smell it burning off something. This was not a problem until after the dealership had to rebuild my transmission. My car has 74,000 miles.

- Orient, OH, USA

May 012013

Cruze

Most of the miles I put on a car are highway miles. I have a 90 mile round trip to get to work. The first time this happened was approximately 2 years after I bought the car and had roughly 60,000 miles on it (summer of 2013). The A/C shut off and the water temperature rose very quickly. I topped off the coolant and didn't have any more trouble for awhile. About this same time I started getting a sickly sweet burnt oil smell in the car. Very strong smell when stopped and there's no air flow to dissipate the fumes. Just recently it happened again. Same thing, A/C shut off, water temp indicator pegged out and I got a message saying "go to idle" or something to that effect. There was coolant sitting on top of the engine. With the car at idle I could only find a small leak at the radiator hose where it plugs into the water outlet. I assume the leak is much worse when the water temp goes up and the system pressurizes. Every 50 miles or so now I have to check the coolant level or risk another overtemp. Next is the transmission. I hate this transmission. It's very jerky when shifting and has been since day 1. I thought maybe as I drove the car it would smooth out eventually. No it did not. It's especially bad if you are coasting to a stop but resume acceleration before stopping. Finally, the brakes have a glitch. From my driveway I back slightly uphill and then downhill into the road. At this point I have to stand on the brake pedal or shift into drive if I expect to stop. It seems to only happen backing out of my driveway. If I back up on level ground I don't notice it happening. It may be the difference in speed. I'm not going as fast on level ground as I am coming down my driveway.

- Blacksburg, SC, USA

Oct 032015

Cruze

Almost to into a huge accident driving on the high way at a speed of 35mph when my car slowed down with my foot still on the gas. It felt like my gears were shifting without me shifting them. I really don't know to much about cars but I know this wasn't supposed to happen while driving

- Pleasantville, NJ, USA

May 012015

Cruze

Practically every day I drive my car, I experience extreme shifting and transmission issues. Specifically, I have to floor the gas pedal for the car to move from 2nd to 3rd shift. This is an automatic car, and it drives like a poorly shifting manual. It is extremely unsafe to drive because it does not accelerate when I hit the gas pedal, rather the engine revs very high and loudly, yet the car does not accelerate. It also has made loud popping sounds from the engine, and the car fills with an exhaust smell, and during the winter coolant smell is obvious in and outside the car. I am very uncomfortable driving-and feel unsafe-driving this car and it is almost four years old with less than 50,000 miles! I have brought it to the dealership on the below dates and they cannot "duplicate the issue", thus have not fixed it. On one occasion, the dealership had my car for 3-weeks! I have no idea if the dealership is even daily testing, or driving, the car. I do know, however, it is extremely unsafe because the shifting and accelerating is unreliable and will most doubtable cause an accident injuring myself and/or others. I have also called GM and numerous occasions and they were very unhelpful, stating they never heard of a shifting/transmission issue with the Chevy Cruze, when in fact the 2011 Chevy Cruze was recalled for shifting lock cable. I have received, unsolicited; a letter from a lawfirm to sue GM noting this exact issues shifting/power issues (amongst faulty water pumps, which I also had replaced after only owing the car 2-years), so clearly there are many others experiencing these issues. Dates brought my car to (sullivan's oneills in avon, ct) 1/16/2015; 5/2/2015; 5/09/2015;5/13/2015; 6/24/2015; 7/17/2015 my GM service tickets are 71-1490864298 & 71-1490864298. The car is either a lemon, or needs to be recalled for shifting/transmission issues.

- West Hartford, CT, USA

Aug 242015

Cruze

My husband noticed the coolant level was low while changing my oil. He filled up the coolant compartment. A week later, my battery died, so when my husband when to jump my car, he noticed the coolant level was once again low and that there was coolant present on the engine hoses. He filled up the coolant again and it is steadily leaking coolant when the car is running. I received a letter in the mail from GM in 2014 about possible coolant leak. The letter told me to take my vehicle in for service if there were any issues with the engine cooling system. I was not having issues with engine cooling at the time, and I put the letter to the side. Two months ago, my ac broke due to a rock hitting it. When I took my vehicle to the Chevy dealership for the ac, they noticed the open recall for the cooling system and recommended I have it looked at while I was there. They proceeded to inspect the engine cooling system, at which time it passed their inspection. Now two month later, the problem is present and the Chevy dealership claims that it will not be covered since that recall is no longer "open" on my vehicle. That is not fair in my opinion.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Aug 082015

Cruze

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that while driving at 45 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 58,278.

- Newmanstown, PA, USA

Jun 162015

Cruze

This incident with my Chevrolet Cruze has happened on more than one occasion in the same month. I will be driving, coming to a stop and the whole car will turn off on me. The air conditioning shuts off, radio, the whole car powers down. I put the car into park, turn off the car, wait a few minutes and turn the car back on. Praying that me and my two year old don't get into an accident throughout the incident.

- Bullhead City, AZ, USA

May 012014

It said service esp.

- Glenpool , OK, USA

May 292015

Cruze

The contact owned a 2011 Chevrolet Cruze. While at a stop light, the contact noticed smoke coming through the vent and into the cabin of the vehicle. Moments later, smoke and flames appeared under the hood of the vehicle. After exiting the vehicle, several explosions were heard coming from the vehicle. The fire department extinguished the flames. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 46,000.

- River View, MI, USA

Jan 012012

Cruze

Many recalls on vehicle, over 5. engine issues.. car does not run well... I've taken the car multiple times in the past months..

- Bridgeport, CT, USA

Apr 062015

Cruze

While driving the vehicle the engine light came on. The car only has $60,000 on it but we took it in because the engine would just randomly stop and the car would stall. The vehicle when brought into the dealership, had been inspected and the car was missing parts. The intake manifold non return valve was missing. There was a vacuum leak at the PCV orifice external port. Water pump was leaking from bolt holes and cover plate. Coolant leak was found even though a few months prior to the leak, Chevy "fixed" the recalled item. I believe that the vehicle has many faulty parts and this is the second time I have written a complaint about this company using faulty parts in there manufacturing process.

- Gilberts, IL, USA

Apr 292013

Cruze

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Cruze. While driving at 20 mph, the contact noticed a chemical odor coming from the air vents in the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. However, the failure recurred and the contact noticed that there was no coolant in the reservoir. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, who diagnosed that the water pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure persisted and the vehicle was taken back to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the hose from the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 25,000. Updated 6/11/15

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Feb 112015

Cruze 4-cyl

Never had any problems with this vehicle indicating that this would suddenly happen but it did. I would heat up my car in the morning and the reduced engine light would come on, I would turn the car off and then back on in a couple of minutes and it would drive fine. This happened a few times but then I was driving about 55 mph and then all of a sudden the engine and stabilitrac light comes on and says reduced engine power and the car slows down about 5 mph immediately. This occurred 3 times on my way home that is normally only a 10 minute drive, the very next morning it did it again when starting it up in the morning to take it to the dealership. This happens in the middle of traffic and thankfully did not cause an accident but it could if this would of happened on the expressway. There are several complaints on this issue with the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze on the complaint forums about the throttle body (dealership confirmed this issue). This is very dangerous!

- Lansing, MI, USA

Feb 212015

Cruze 4-cyl

My Chevrolet dealer informed me that my 2011 Chevy Cruze has a leak in the transmission oil cooler lines. Is there or will there be a recall for this problem. I noticed (NHTSA campaign number:14V152000) the Chevy Silverado, Suburban, Sierra, Tahoe, and Yukon had a recall for transmission cooler line issues. Please let me know if/when Chevrolet will reimburse for the replacement and repair for this health and safety issue(potential vehicle fire). Thank you for your attention regarding this matter.

- Hillsborough, NJ, USA

Feb 172015

Cruze

About a month and a half ago I had taken my Cruze in for service where I was purchased my 2011 Chevy Cruze. I had a recall on a coolant leak at the pump. I had taken it in for service and oil change. The lady I had communicated with about the problem I was having about a burnt smell when I turned on my heat. She informed me that there was no problems or leak. One day when I was driving home from work I started chocking and my eyes where burning from an intense burning smell. When I arrived at home I popped my hood and noticed there was absolutely no coolant in my overflow tank. I then contacted the dealership and told them what I was experiencing with my Cruze. They took action and had my car towed to the dealership where they replaced the pump and coolant lines where there was a leak free of charge. (she no ionger works for the dealership) I do not know how long I was driving my Cruze without any coolant. I still have a continuous smell of something burning and have to take it in for service again. I also experience a shack when the car is at an idol. Im being to question my purchase of my Chevy Cruze. Hopefully when I take it in for service they are able to pin point the problems and that the last visit I need to make to the dealership.

- Lima, OH, USA

Feb 192015

Cruze 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that while driving at 70 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact also stated that the lost power, the electronic stability control, and the service traction control warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where it was diagnosed that the throttle body control needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 80,000. Updated 04/10/15 the consumer stated the dealer advised the throttle body needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted but did not offer any assistance. Updated 11/5/2015

- Girard, PA, USA

Dec 012014

Cruze 4-cyl

Cooling system appears to be leaking and fumes of antifreeze are blowing through HVAC system causing some occupants to become nauseous. Dealer attempted to fix but there appears to be an issue with the design of the system. System also leaked on the hot engine causing "steam" to show from under the hood, we thought it was a fire but when the hood was opened it was steam from the antifreeze boiling on the engine.

- Islip Terrace, NY, USA

Feb 122015

Cruze

I was driving my car on the way to work one day and out of no where going down my hill my traction control light and check engine lights came on and my dash board said "engine power reduced". it wouldn't let me accelerate so I stopped and shut off the car. I started it 5 minutes later and it ran normal but the check engine light was still on. On the way home from work it did it 2 more times. Its extremely dangerous to drive because when all those lights come on your car goes from 60mph to 10mph in 5 seconds. If youre driving and someone is directly behind you theyre going to crash into you. After a day or two I made an appt. To get it looked at and I kept driving it because I need to get to work. Now the car not only says "engine power reduced" but it also says " service traction control" but thats not even whats wrong with the car. Its the throttle body. Now Chevrolet is expecting me to pay 500 to fix it and I dont have that, they wont rent me a rental car and I have no other way to work. I pay for insurance for the car through them but apparently anything thats wrong with my car isnt covered by any of the insurance that I bought from them. This is dangerous to drive around and I'm pissed that they don't care or sell me this crap insurance that doesnt cover anything important. I only bought the car 1 year and 4 months ago...there shouldnt be problems with it. The car was in perfect condition when I bought it from quirk Chevrolet in manchester, nh.

- Bow, NH, USA