CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Chevrolet Cruze suffers from a throttle lag that gives many owners an unsafe feeling while driving.

According to reports, there is a significant lag between the time you press the accelerator and when the transmission actually engages. This has owners complaining about the responsiveness of their car in safety situations such as trying to cross a busy road. The 2011 model year is equipped with an electronic throttle control where there is no direct link between the accelerator pedal and the throttle body, leaving many to suggest that this is the source of the problem.

Interestingly, owners of the 2011 model year have gone on to test drive the 2012 Cruze and report it does not have the same transmission issue.

9.3

1. mechanics removed transmission and replaced seal - 9 days (2 reports)
2011 Chevrolet Cruze engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze:

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments

Jun 042012

Cruze LX 1.6L

my new cruze is driving me mad. it has done only 2408 km and developed problems in the transmission and leaking oil from the crank head seal. Also the brakes have a mind of their own, and there is a squeak and rattle from the interior plastic which is awful and made from very cheap materials. The dealer is very bad and they do everything to get away from the problem not to solve it. I will sell it, it is a pain and big mistake buying it. My last ever gm purchase for sure

- , Alexandria, Bahary, Egypt

Apr 022012

Cruze 1.4L Turbo

At 21,5K miles the crank seal failed. The oil that leaked caused the serpentine belt to come off. All this at 70+MPH on the freeway. Little to no oil and no water being pumped due to the loss of the belt. Needless to say the engine got extremely hot- to the point it was popping and snapping when I got off the road and shut it off. Dealer did repairs under warranty without telling me what had happened. I asked GM to address the fact that the engine had reached very high temperature. GM service responded "if the engine runs then there was no damage". Dealer has done little to back me up. Most likely my last GM purchase.

- , Millington, MI, USA

Oct 112011

Cruze ECO 1.4L I4

At not even 500 miles on the car I noticed a few dark brown spots on my driveway at home. I rolled the car back and noticed that more spots were dripping from the car. I crawled under the car the best that I could and noticed that it was collecting right around the transmission and dripping down. I called the dealership and they told me to drive it over. I got there and it was dripping oil constantly on their polished floors in the service bay. They issued me a rental and proceeded to work on it. It took nine days to fix because the mechanics had trouble removing the surrounding parts to gain access to this seal. They ended up bending the replacement seal and having to order a new one. The oil came from the rear main crankcase seal - installed backwards during the installation process in the manufacturing plant. The oil soaked the clutch and made the mechanics suggest replacement. Who seriously delivers a car in the 21st century that forms an oil leak at less than 500 miles.

- , Chesapeake, VA, USA