CarComplaints.com Notes: In many ways, the 2012 Cruze continues the legacy of its predecessor. It's a legacy of sluggish transmissions and coolant leaks, but it's still a legacy.

To be fair, the number of complaints about the cooling system are way down versus the 2011 model which led to a class-action lawsuit.

On the flip-side, there's more concerns about brake problems.

However, there were far more Cruze vehicles sold for the 2012 model year so we'll give it our "Beware of this Clunker" badge rather than the "Avoid Like the Plague."

2012 Chevrolet Cruze brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Cruze:

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

May 012012

Cruze

Cold start and back up or going forward, brake locks and car just rolls. Took it to the dealer (huffines Chevrolet in plano Texas) and dealer said they would have it ready in two days. After a week without the car, the service advisor explain the part was not available anywhere and the factory would not push out more of the brake vacuum parts until October. In the meantime, my car with 19K is sitting under the hot Texas sun at the dealer (most likely ruining its leather interior) and the dealer has no other information and they "wish they could do more." I would not recommend anyone to buy a Chevy Cruze until this problem is clear. The dealer also said they have not heard about this ever before and looking in this website there are four more cases. Not truthful! GMC needs to resolve or recall!

- Richardson, TX, USA

Mar 152012

Cruze

When putting car into reverse on level ground to back up, brakes do not work properly and hardly stops car, very unnerving. Dealer could not find the problem, happens randomly. Have had this occur several times now. Have 18K miles.

- Asheville, NC, USA

Jun 252012

Cruze 4-cyl

Loss of braking when backing up from a parking space. This has occured twice 6/25/2012 and 7/2/2012.

- Holbrook, NY, USA

Apr 012012

Cruze 4-cyl

I took my vehicle in complaining of a strange noise, almost like a "pop" when braking. When the dealership looked at it they told me it was the struts. They stated they were waiting on a recall from Chevrolet and that I should just continue to keep calling and checking on it. I called them each month since. Each time they assured me it would not affect my vehicle at all and that it would be fine. Obviously, a strut is a part of the car, it must be needed to function or it would not be on there. I have no idea how this is affecting my vehicle including my tire wear, brakes, and overall structure of the vehicle. There has still been no recall issued and the problem still exists.

- Winchester, VA, USA

Mar 142012

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that after shifting the vehicle into reverse, the brakes became inoperable. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the vacuum pump was replaced. The current and failure mileages were 13,000.

- Clarksville, TN, USA