2012 Chevrolet Cruze brakes NHTSA complaints: Service Brakes

NHTSA — Service Brakes Problems

2012 Chevrolet Cruze (Page 1 of 3)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Cruze:

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Mar 262014

Cruze

Bought vehicle from carmax first week of March 2014, 3 weeks later was first time I drove in snow and the the brakes did not work at all. Called carmax and though the warranty was was over they agreed to repait because of a brake recall. Then a couple weeks later there was a leak and Ford had to replace a coolant pump. The car never ran the same. The car putters and has horrible acceleration and I have contacted Ford and carmax dealership and coorp for help at the same time all the Cruze were taken off the lots and were no longer allowed to be sold because of all the recalls and they were deemed unsafe to drive. All I asked carmax for was to take this vehicle back and let me pick out a different car. I am a single mom with a teenage daughter an I am afraid to let her drive this car, there have been several deaths attributed to the Chevy Cruze. I have left several voicemails with GM my case # is C7269752 with first responder..what does that mean anyway? the GM at carmax in tinley park argued with me for 15 minutes about who if I spoke to him once or twice instead of dealing with the real issue, the sold me, a single mother a car with bad brakes! I almost went into down into a 6 lane expressway when the brakes didnt work! I would have been killed. Its been a couple months now and no one has followed up at all. The snow will soon begin and I am scared to death to drive. Please can some one help.

- Lockport, IL, USA

Sep 032014

Cruze

While driving on the highway, at a safe and reasonable distance from the vehicle in front of me, the vehicle in front of me braked. I stepped on my brakes, and my vehicle did not stop properly. I pressed on my brakes firmly and my vehicle continued not to brake/slow properly and my vehicle continued going forward. The vehicle in front of my stopped and my car continued to go forward, crashing into the back end of the vehicle in front of me. I pressed on my brakes and they didn't work. I was able to turn my vehicle towards the left trying to avoid crashing into the vehicle in front of me. I was able to turn my vehicle left and avoid crashing head on, but encointered severe front end damage to the right passenger side of my vehicle. All I can say is, my brakes did not work properly. I pressed on them and my vehicle did not stop like it normally does. (this vehicle is my mother's car. I have driven it in the past and brakes worked fine)

- Worcester , MA, USA

Jun 122014

Cruze

I was driving to my parents house and was at a place where I had to turn so I turned and my steering wjeel locked up and I almost hit someone because my steering wheel wouldn't turn. This has happened several times and every time stability track pops up on my screen and my radio flickers on and off and my blinker doesn't make a sound when this happens. Now my brakes are starting to act up too when I press the brakes sometimes it rocks back and fourth while I'm stopped also the car makes a funny noise while in park.

- Whitesboro, TX, USA

May 012012

Cruze

From the beginning I had a recall for the oil pan a week after purchasing the car. There has been numerous times the heating had to be worked on and still not fixed. It stills smells like antifreeze when its on. The right brake cylinder went bad a few months after the purchased. The windshield sometimes whistles when you go down the highway at 65 mph. Now after my last oil change the other day, they said I need to take it back because there is a transmission leak. Not to mention where I got the car from, they act like they don't care to help fix the problem. Very frustrated!

- Maryville, TN, USA

Aug 042014

Cruze

Loss of brake assist at start up. Occured (4) times after recall #12213 was performed by dealer.

- Flushing, MI, USA

May 152014

Cruze

On several occurrences the brakes from my 2012 Chevy Cruze have failed to work. This is especially true when backing up. The brake pedal gets really hard and you really need to push hard on brake pedal to slow down, vehicle will not always stop. I have noticed it the ac is running this will happen every time I back up. I have had many instances where I have almost hit other cars or objects. I am extremely worried about this because I usually have my 2 young children with me when this happens. I have taken my car into the local dealership to get this checked out. They have told me that the vacuum switch has already been replaced and there would be a $100 charge to diagnose the problem even though my vehicle is still covered by warranty. The last time I took it in they said nothing was wrong with my vehicle, even though I am still experiencing poor braking.

- El Prado, NM, USA

Jul 242014

Cruze

When putting the 2012 Cruze in reverse the breaks would fail temporarily forcing me to push the car into park. A week later the radio start to turn on and off. At this point in time Aug 7 2014 only the breaks have been fixed.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jun 302014

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond. As a result, the contact crashed into the rear of another vehicle. There were no injuries. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 13V360000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 47,500.

- Greeley, CO, USA

Jun 272014

Cruze

Loss of power brake assist, requiring excessive force to stop vehicle. Barely stopped in time to avoid collision with vehicle ahead. Second incident. First incident was approximately 2-3 weeks ago when backing up in driveway.

- Flushing, MI, USA

May 282014

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that the vehicle would make a very loud squealing noise when engaging the brakes. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the brake shoe kit and rear passenger brake drum needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the remedy failed to address the problem. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 9,700 and the current mileage was 10,765.

- Zanesville, OH, USA

Mar 072014

Cruze

Similar issue to the previous brake recall to which repair was completed on this vehicle months prior to these incidents. The brake peddle on the car would become much harder than anticipated multiple times, mostly when first starting the vehicle or reversing from a parking spot, had several near miss accidents at low speeds, over the course of several months. The dealership claimed that it had nothing to do with the recall that replaced the microswitch in the power brake vacuum pipe assembly. Rather they replaced the brake vacuum boost hose assembly, claiming that was where the problem originated from and had nothing at all to do with the microswitch even though the recall was for very similar problem.

- Hill Afb, UT, USA

Jun 042014

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that the vacuum pump switch failed. The contact mentioned that the vacuum pump switch was replaced on three occasions. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V360000 (service, hydraulic). The failure and current mileage was 168,340.

- Sicklerville, NJ, USA

Jun 172014

Cruze

I was backing out of my garage and as I pushed on my brake pedal to slow down and manuever out of the garage I realized the pedal would not go down and the car kept going in reverse with no way of stopping it! there was no give to the brake pedal at all, it was as if it was locked up. I rolled backward several feet while still pushing on the brake and eventually the pedal went down and the car stopped. This happened about a month ago, but I thought, at the time, I must have done something silly like hit the floorboard with my foot. I now realize this could be a real hazard to myself and others. I did have a recall on the brakes some months ago and I took my car into to have it done. This has happened twice since Chevrolet fixed my recall. This is very concerning!!

- Lebanon, IN, USA

Dec 022013

Cruze 4-cyl

Car shuts down and it can not be restarted, (no dome light, no on start) no power anywhere..can't get keys out of ignition, going down the road, steering service light come on and off, radio display shuts down and restarts, gauges turn on and off..dealership has replaced battery, generator and it is still doing the same thing. Currently at dealership again.!....updated 07/31/14 it was determined the ground wire on the battery was broke. Which caused the vehicle to stall, shutting down all the gauges. There have been no problems, since it was replaced. Updated 09/23/14

- Hillsdale, MI, USA

May 242014

Cruze 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the brakes failed. The vehicle did not stop when the brake pedal was fully applied, causing the contact to crash into the rear of another vehicle. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed of the incident. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but no diagnoses was provided. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number 13V36000(service brakes, hydraulic) but did not confirm if the vehicle was included in the recall. This failure persisted intermittently over a period of one year. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 19,000. Updated 8/19/14 the consumer stated the vehicle's trunk exterior manual latch would not open the trunk and the steering wheel air bag is on recall. While driving, the vehicle would hesitate and lurch. Updated 08/28/2014

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Apr 072014

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that the brake failed while reversing. There was no power assist when the brake pedal was applied. The failure continued intermittently for two months since the vehicle repaired under NHTSA campaign id number 13V360000( service brakes, hydraulic). The contact had not experienced any failures before then. The manufacturer was not made aware of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 22,815.

- Annapolis , MD, USA

May 142014

Cruze 4-cyl

My teenage daughter drives this car. Along with a number of service issues and down time in the shop, it has been nothing short of a disappointment. She now has a braking issue that is consistent with the recall that was issued in October of 2013 (12213). She was driving the car at 15-20 mph and the brakes failed when depressed. She then had to push again, this time harder and barely missed a car in front of her, thus freaking her out completely. Now she will not drive this car again as she does not feel safe. We took the car into the dealer and without any secondary notice saying that the parts are available, they had them in house... really" does this take a fatality for G.M to do the right thing and be on top of their business" updated 11/24/2014

- Agoura Hills, CA, USA

Apr 262014

Cruze 4-cyl

As I was backing out of parking spot the brake pedal went to the floor increasing the time and distance to come to a complete stop.vehicle was towed to dealership where they determined it was a faulty brake microswitch (GM part # 13460776)that was already replaced under GM recall #12213 on March 20,2014.the dealership replaced the switch again and claim the brakes were now "working as designed".

- Lebanon, OH, USA

Jul 152012

Cruze 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph, the driver attempted to decelerate but the brakes failed to respond and the driver crashed into a concrete mailbox. The driver sustained extensive injuries to the back, arm and neck. The vehicle was destroyed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 15,000. Updated 06/17/14

- Crossville, TN, USA

Oct 012013

Cruze 4-cyl

Received a recall in October 2013 (recall 12213). Parts are still not available as of March 2014.

- Holt, MI, USA