2012 Chevrolet Cruze brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Cruze:

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 282013

Cruze

Driver was traveling approx. 15-20 mph when traffic stopped in front of her. Driver was at a safe distance behind the vehicle in front of her. However, after applying the brakes the car did not stop and hit the vehicle in front of her. The driver could not figure out why the crash happened as she applied the brakes and the car felt like it wouldn't stop. Not only did the vehicle not stop but it also had extensive front end damage without any airbag deployment. Both issues are very concerning to the driver. The vehicle has since been repaired but still feels like the brakes are not functioning like they should.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Aug 082013

Cruze

Upon backing down driveway, it was evident that brake booster pump pressure was lost. It took an extraordinary amount of physical effort to push the brake pedal adequately enough to get vehicle to stop. Upon switching from reverse to drive, pedal pressure immediatley returned to normal. We have not been notified that our 2012 Chevrolet Cruze eco is included in recent brake recall.

- Leland, NC, USA

Oct 122013

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the brakes were applied and the vehicle failed to stop or decelerate without warning. The contact crashed into another vehicle. A police report was filed. There were no injuries reported. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where the contact was awiting diagnosis of the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 32,000. The VIN was not available.

- Waipahu, HI, USA

Oct 112012

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that while reversing from a driveway, the brakes failed to respond without warning. The contact stated that additional force was applied to the brake pedal in order to stop the vehicle. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer twice however, the failure was unable to be duplicated. The manufacturer was notified of the failure, who informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 13V360000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 10,000 and the current mileage was 25,000. Updated 11/13/13

- Lake Arthur, LA, USA

Aug 212013

Cruze

While pulling into parking space crawling into position the brakes failed and the car vibrated and lunged forward crashing into a brick wall. The brake pedal went all the way to the floor the car then began to vibrate then accelerate forward hitting brick wall. I believe that the turbo charge engaged because of the vacuum boost failed causing the turbo to engage. Filed complaint with GM no luck said it was driver error. Needless to say we are repairing the car then trading in. I have contacted local media can't seem to get any help. We have been loyal Chevy owners for over 20years never again. I think the public needs to be warned before someone gets killed. If someone was walking across the front of the car they would have died.

- Bolivar, OH, USA

Sep 032013

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph and applying the brakes, the vehicle failed to stop or decelerate. The contact had to utilize the emergency to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for diagnosis and an unknown part was replaced. Two days later the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to a dealer and the same part was replaced again. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 18,000.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 132013

Cruze

On or about June 13, 2013, I was parking my car in my space at the apartment complex I live in. I pushed on the brakes and the car went up and over the grass and into the support structure that holds up the awning at our clubhouse. The mileage listed is approximate, as I currently don't have the paperwork from howe collision at hand. I have a $500 deductible with my insurer, aaa Michigan. There was no police report taken. The damage to my vehicle was repaired by howe collision in Plymouth. I picked up my car on June 24, 2013. The car has a 1.8L ecotec with DOHC 4-cylinder engine. It also has a 6-speed automatic transmission. It has stabilitrak-stability control, with traction control. The brakes are 4-wheel anti-lock, front disks, rear drums. My vehicle was manufactured in lordstown, Ohio. I read an article in the jackson citizen regarding a defect in the brake assist function that had been linked to 27 accidents. GM announced the Friday before that it was aware of the 27 crashes, but stated there were no injuries. The cars involved are 2011-2012 1.4L engines that were built in lordstown. GM said for owners to take their car to the dealer where it was purchased, (mine is a lease), for repair of the the broken part. My dealer, lou lariche in Plymouth said they didn't know anything about it. My niece, whose email I am using, called and spoke to the service department. The service department said they had no official notice from GM and that not all 2011 and 2012 Cruze's were involved in the recall. He also told her that I would get a notification in the mail, which to date, I have not gotten. If you need any other information you can call me at the number listed or email my niece, joan carter, at the email listed below. Thank you for your time.

- Plymouth, MI, USA

Feb 052013

Cruze

I been having trouble with my brakes 6 mths into having the car. I notice it makes a lot of noise and now when I let up on them, it makes the front of my car pop up.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 052013

Cruze

Brakes have been making noise only 1 year after purchase. Car doesn't have significant mileage for this type of problem.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jun 282013

Cruze

The contact owns 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that while reversing from a drive way, the brakes failed to respond. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the brake booster needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- New Lebanon, OH, USA

Jun 052013

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that while reversing out of residential garage, she attempted to engage the brakes but they did not respond. The vehicle was taken to the dealer however, the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 51,000 and the current mileage was 57,000.

- New Lebanon, OH, USA

Aug 282013

Cruze

I backed out of a parking space, applied the brakes and the pedal was extremely firm with no brakes at all, then I pumped the brakes, pedal slowly goes to the floor, another pump and braking is working again. This has happened several times, but now happening with more frequency. It also has happened on multiple times while backing out of garage onto a flat surface. Brakes correct themselves after incident. I picked up my granddaugter from daycare, and was exiting the parking lot on an incline driveway and when I applied the brakes, I had to push with all my strength to get the car to stop. Brakes pedal was extremely firm. I almost hit a pedestrian on the sidewalk. Appointment with my local dealership tomorrow to examine car. I cannot identify exact situation when this issue occurs. Very nervous about having granddaughter in my car and just driving it in general, if the brakes don't work properly.

- Madison, WI, USA

Aug 222013

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that while driving in reverse at approximately 2 mph, the brake pedal was depressed but was unresponsive. The emergency brake was utilized and additional force was applied to the brake pedal in order to stop the vehicle. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 13V360000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 41,538.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Jul 192013

Cruze

Our brakes goes very hard at times and you have to push hard as you can to get the car to stop. Took the car to my lacal dealership they test drove my car and said it was just fine and sent me on my way. I called GM and they said a dealer already looked at my car and told me the same thing. One week later a national recall on all 2011-2012 Chevy Cruze was issued for brake problems I spoke to the survive manager who said he would contact me when he knew about the recall, it's been two weeks without any calls from him. It was a new employee who test drove our car and now we feel unsafe driving it now.

- Forney, TX, USA

Aug 122013

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, she applied the brakes and the vehicle began to skid, crashing into the rear of another vehicle. The vehicle was destroyed. The contact was not injured and a police report was not filed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 8,800.

- Stottsville, KY, USA

Jul 112012

Cruze

Front brakes vibrate and over heat when applied at over 35mph. Also when brakes are applied suddenly vibration it felt. Dealer could not duplicate problem the first time but after two more visit front brake pads were replace. Then again after several complaints and still the same problem same dealer replaced brake pads and rotors. Still to this date brakes feel the same and dealer or GM will not aknowledge that vehicle has a problem. Im concern for me and my families safety and im between a rock and a sword cause is the vehicle I use as a daily driver.

- Vineland, NJ, USA

Aug 092013

Cruze

I own a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze ltz. I have owned the vehicle since it was new in March 2012. Recently, the following problem has started to occur with some frequency. While backup up at approximately 5 mph, when the brakes are applied, the vehicle continues to roll. After pushing the pedal several times, the vehicle stopped. This has happened at least a dozen times over the past six weeks. The brakes function fine when driving forward. This problem usually occurs when the vehicle has been parked in a parking space for at least several minutes, or even longer such as overnight. Today, I brought the vehicle back to the dealer. I was unable to repeat the braking problem. The service person said they would research any recent bulletins and call me back.

- North Billerica, MA, USA

May 192012

Cruze 4-cyl

After car ran, then parked and turned off, then started up again the power brakes failed for approximately 60 seconds. In my opinion the car was warm/hot, the weather was warm/hot, and the temperature affected the power brake system when started in the heat. Having the A/C on may have robbed some power as well. Problem is now more frequent during warm weather, to the point I am concerned about my safety and the safety of any other driver who may not be aware of the issue.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Jul 142013

Cruze 4-cyl

Last night my wife and I (who is 9 months pregnant) got into our 2012 Chevy Cruze and went to back out of the parking lot. When backing out the car started shaking really weird as I released my foot off the brake pedal. I released full and continued to backup as I didn't know what was going on. When I went to apply the brakes again I pushed the brake pedal down all the way and the car barely stopped. Luckily I was able to pull the emergency brake in time before hitting the multiple cars behind my vehicle.I put the car in drive and pulled forward into the parking spot and as I went to stop again it was the same issue. The car would not fully stop no matter how hard I pushed down on the brake pedal. Luckily, I was the one driving and we weren't up to highway speeds yet or it could've resulted in the death of multiple people.

- Newport, NC, USA

Jun 242009

Cruze 4-cyl

Total brake failure on five different occasions. When driving the vehicle after being parked a momentary total brake failure occurs sometimes. I backed out of a parking space on an incline, braked and the pedal was firm, no brakes at all, pumped the brake, pedal slowly goes to the floor, another pump and braking is ok.this happened to my wife on four other occasions in a parking lot after starting the vehicle. It happen and corrects itself very quickly, at least for now. Dealer has bee no help.I checked the internet and I am not alone, numerous complaints of the same condition.

- Methuen, MA, USA