CarComplaints.com Notes: In many ways, the 2012 Cruze continues the legacy of its predecessor. It's a legacy of sluggish transmissions and coolant leaks, but it's still a legacy.

To be fair, the number of complaints about the cooling system are way down versus the 2011 model which led to a class-action lawsuit.

On the flip-side, there's more concerns about brake problems.

However, there were far more Cruze vehicles sold for the 2012 model year so we'll give it our "Beware of this Clunker" badge rather than the "Avoid Like the Plague."

2012 Chevrolet Cruze electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Cruze:

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

Feb 052014

Cruze 4-cyl

While driving all the lights are coming on, the dashboard. The brake lights, service stabilitrak light, and the ABS light and the radio blinks on and off and then sometimes the radio stays off for several minutes. I had taken the care to the dealership to have them to check it and they advised me it was my thermostat causing the issue. They replaced the thermostat which was under warranty and the dealership said everything was ok to go. A week later the all the lights on the dashboard came back on again I took it back to the dealership and they advised me they didn't see any codes reading that there was and issue. I showed them the pictures and the video that I captured while the car was doing it and they advised me I had a electrical problem but they can't find it. The problem is still an issue and its still doing the same thing.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 222014

Cruze 4-cyl

I purchased a used Chevy Cruze, previous rental, from the Chevy dealer about a month ago. Within the past week I began to have intermittent electrical issues, which started with the radio panel light flashing on and off and the radio would also turn off for several mins at a time. Today the electrical problems progressed greatly, impacting the power stealing and I lost power steering completely while driving. In addition, multiple warning signals began to flash: Power steering, stabilink, brakes and security traction control. This happened while driving, thankfully I was going at a very low speed otherwise this could have been a potential serious and dangerous situation as I briefly lost control of the car and almost crashed at 10mph (or less.) thankfully I was already on my way to the dealer (1 miles away) for an appointment for servicing that I had previously scheduled due to this issue. Once I got to the dealer they were able to see the issues first hand. I turned off the car and then this car completely died. I left the car at the dealer and hope this issue is resolved and the car is safe to drive. Honesty, I am very nervous to drive the car in fear that the car is unsafe and these issues will continue.

- Murrieta , CA, USA

Mar 052014

Cruze

Car drives fine but interior lights go out radio starts blinking and service stabilitrak, service traction control, service antitheft, and service power steering lights come on the dash. I took the car to the dealership where they replaced the BCM. This did nothing 4 days later it all started again. After turning the car off everything resets. On some occasions the antitheft stops the car from starting back up I have to leave the car sit with the key on engine off for about 5 minutes then it will start. There is no loss of power in the engine and all the gauges still work. When I apply the brakes this happens, or when I try to roll down the window, or even when im just cruising down the street without and changing speed or anything in the car.

- Elyria, OH, USA

Feb 192014

Cruze 4-cyl

We have video of the radio display area going blank then coming on then going blank continually, it takes out all sound I.e., radio, navigational instructions, blinker sound.. while throwing multiple error codes in the area for odometer reading I.e., service stabila track, service traction control. The users manual tells you that if something like this happens to shut off the car to reset the car. If you do shut it off or stall out the car (manual transmission) everything goes dead. It cannot be accessed by onstar (I called them on 2-19-2014 and asked them to document that they could not access the car... it simply read "error" for them) the fob key has no effect, there is no steering, no brakes, no lights, no nothing for 20 to 45 minutes. So if in traffic.. the car simply becomes either a road block or a target. The car has been into 2 different dealerships and even with video of the incidents they simply say they can find nothing wrong and make ridiculous suggestions. The car as is, is an accident or worse waiting to happen.!....updated 07/31/14

- Westerville, OH, USA

Feb 032014

Cruze 4-cyl

Electrical issues that include loss of power steering while driving: Warning indicators would flash on and off, such as "service stabilitrack", "service power steering" and "service ABS", while driving. Radio began shutting on and off while driving. When the display & radio shuts off, even the blinker wouldn't make a sound. What I find alarming is during these episodes, the power steering actually fails for a short period of time. On a 20 minute drive, I experienced 4 failures and the above electrical issues happening non-stop for the duration of the trip. A day later, as a test, I drove my car around my neighborhood (less than a 1 minute drive) and experienced all the same issues, including loss of power steering. I have scheduled service with a dealer. A search on the internet shows an alarming number of Chevy Cruze owner with this issue, which points to manufacturing or design defect and not wear & tear. Loss of power steering while in motion would seem to be a safety issue and should be addressed.

- Indian Land, SC, USA

Jan 032014

Cruze 4-cyl

It begins with the radio blinking on and off when this is happening there are several things we notice that goes on in the instrument panel such as signal lights no sound, sometimes putting the window up will trigger the wrench to be displayed, also loss of the ability to turn the wheel. No cruise control when the radio is blinking.

- Martinsville, VA, USA

Jan 192014

Cruze 4-cyl

Electrical issues that include loss of power steering while driving: Warning indicators would flash on and off, such as "service stabilitrak", "service power steering" and "service ABS", while driving.radio began shutting on and off while driving. When the display & radio shuts off, even the blinker wouldn't make a sound. What I find alarming is during these episodes, the power steering actually fails for a short period of time. On a 20 minute drive, I experienced 4 failures and the above electrical issues happening non-stop for the duration of the trip. A day later, as a test, I drove my car around my neighborhood (less than a 1 minute drive) and experienced all the same issues, including loss of power steering...I have scheduled service with a dealer...a search on the internet shows an alarming number of Chevy Cruze owner with this issue, which points to manufacturing or design defect and not wear & tear...loss of power steering while in motion would seem to be a safety issue and should be addressed.!....updated 07/31/14

- Altamonte Springs, FL, USA

Nov 152013

Cruze 4-cyl

The center information center with the radio began shutting on and off while driving. When the display & radio shuts off, even the blinker wouldn't make a sound. Sometimes during this a notification would come up "service traction control" and/or "service stabilitrack." I tried troubleshooting it myself for a few days. Sometimes the blinker, seat warmer, or even plugging in my phone to the usb port seemed to trigger it. I noticed the voltage fluctuating from 12.9 - 15.2V while driving or at a stop. The day that I took the vehicle in for repair, all the notification lights began to blink and then the power steering went out during a left turn. The dealership replaced both battery cables and mentioned that they've had many of these cars in with this same issue. The issue appeared to be resolved and the car was running great, until yesterday 1/15/14. Everything mentioned above, except for the power steering loss, is happening again. If you search the internet and youtube, you'll quickly see this is a growing problem that needs to be resolved and recalled.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 152014

Cruze

Recently, car radio has been flickering on and off, along with service notifications of stabili trac, traction control. Chevy dealer notified, serviced car, found nothing and has no explanation. Today, stopped at a corner to make a right hand turn. As I was accelerating at approx 2-3 mph around the corner, then steering was lost and could not turn the corner. Lost all control of car. Very fortunate there was no damage or injury to anything or anyone. Scary incident that could of had a worse outcome.

- Pico Rivera, CA, USA

Nov 012013

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet cruz. The contact stated that the lights on the instrument panel flickered as the stability control service soon warning message displayed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 32,000 and the current mileage was 34,000.

- Oren , UT, USA

Aug 012013

Cruze

I am having problems with the electrical inside my car cutting in and out, all electrical turns off. Service checks come across dashboard for power steering, stability check control, and traction control. The power steering has stopped working at times as well. I am not sure but if you are turning it appears that the turn signals stop working from inside the vehicle. Headlights are dimmer than normal when it cuts in and out, it flickers with the shortages. I have taken it to the dealership three times now. The first time they tightened a ground wire, the second time they couldn't find a problem, third time they replaced the engine control module, and now I'm taking it back a fourth time to have the body control module replaced. This problem continues to get worse.

- Otsego, MI, USA

Oct 292013

Cruze 4-cyl

The radio electrical panel would turn on & off intermittently, then the drivers gauge panel would flicker. After the gauge panel flickered, the power steering warning light came on and the power steering shut off. Then the traction control warning light came on and the traction control stopped working. Then I went to roll up the windows and the whole dash panel flickered, then the windows would not roll up. There appears to be a serious electrical problem in the vehicle somewhere. It acts as though there is a short in the wiring harness somewhere. I am taking it to the Chevrolet dealer for diagnostics.

- Chatsworth, CA, USA

Aug 272013

Cruze 4-cyl

This started this week, the electrical parts (radio, speakers, turning signal clicker, ac etc) will constantly flicker off then come back on after about ten seconds, every time I have the car running. The stability warning will sometimes go on but will eventually go out. The specific incident occurred the the 27th of August when I went to take a left turn, on to a highway. When I went to make a turn my power steering locked up and almost caused me to hit a passing car and get rear ended. It specifically locked up at about ten miles an hour while picking up speed. After I returned to my parking lot it locked up again and caused me to hit a barrier, slightly damaging the front bumper. Since then my power steering will sometimes lock up making it extremely difficult to turn.

- Lombard, IL, USA

Jul 272013

Cruze

The trunk release switch that is located on the trunk of the vehicle does not work. The only way to open the trunk is by using the keyless entry remote. Though this does not pose a direct threat to safety it is extremely inconvenient due to the need for the key just to open an unlocked vehicles trunk. I purchased the vehicle only being one year old with 50,000 miles (so the warranty is out) and the dealership says that they can't do anything unless I pay full price.

- Port Clinton, OH, USA

Nov 162012

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that the navigational system provided failed and would provide erroneous directions. In addition, the contact was concerned about the push-to-start button feature because the vehicle could be started within five minutes of being parked without the key being used. In addition, the contact stated that the push-to-start feature could not recognize the key while it was in the trunk of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times for the failures. The dealer advised the contact that the navigational system chip needed to be updated. The manufacturer was also contacted and advised that the push-to-start feature was operating as designed and that the vehicle could not read the key while it was in the trunk because the vehicle was not equipped with the onstar system that was able to perform that function. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 400 and the current mileage was 10,500.

- Estill Springs , TN, USA

Jul 152013

Cruze 4-cyl

While driving on ortega highway which is a two lane highway and is a connector road from inland empire to orange county with narrow lanes running thru cleveland national forest, I was driving with the flow of traffic and the car suddenly shut off, steering wheel locked, various computer panel lights started flashing and the car became uncontrollable to the point where it almost went over cliff. This was the most horrific experience and lucky to be alive. I have contacted GM directly and will contact the media in the event I receive no resolution. The car is a safety hazard at this point and not drivable. Sadly I just purchased the car in March of this year. I refuse to be stuck with this car that I completely lost trust to drive with myself let alone with my children.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Jun 142013

Cruze

While driving my new Chevy Cruze I have noticed that once in a while I will go to accelerate and the car will not go. I'll get to about 20mph and it's like the car doesn't know I'm pushing the pedal to accelerate. I can tell that is getting gas and that it's not the transmission because it doesn't make a sound. It just stops at about 20mph and doesn't go any further until I put the pedal down further, doesn't go, then a little more then it suddenly accelerates and jerks because I have the pedal down so far. I've seen other complaints on the website and I believe it is due to a faulty tsp sensor. My dealer cannot find the issue because they can not make it reoccur and the check engine light does not go on. The last incident that happened while I was merging on to I-55 South and as I was merging my car would not accelerate with a line of cars behind me and a line of cars on my left. Very scary. When I asked my dealer what happens when I get into an accident because of this I was just told I hope that doesn't happen and when it happens again to bring it back.

- Park Forest, IL, USA

Jul 022012

Cruze 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate and stalled without warning. In addition, the electrical system failed on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis but they were unable to duplicate the problem. The vehicle was not repaired and the problem persisted. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 3,800.

- Rio Rancho , NM, USA

Mar 272013

Cruze

Strong odor of coolant entering the interior of car when heater is used. Becomes stronger if window is open while driving. Odor is not present when at standstill. Open opening hood with engine off odor can be sensed near the water pump area. Dealer replaced water pump a week ago to remedy the problem. The vehicle has 28 K on it.

- Mc Gregor, MN, USA

Nov 012011

Cruze 4-cyl

Cruze has a coolant smell both inside and outside of the car. Apparently this is an extremely common issue with the Cruze vehicles. GM has yet to fix the issue with these vehicles.

- Plano, TX, USA