CarComplaints.com Notes: In many ways, the 2012 Cruze continues the legacy of its predecessor. It's a legacy of sluggish transmissions and coolant leaks, but it's still a legacy.

To be fair, the number of complaints about the cooling system are way down versus the 2011 model which led to a class-action lawsuit.

On the flip-side, there's more concerns about brake problems.

However, there were far more Cruze vehicles sold for the 2012 model year so we'll give it our "Beware of this Clunker" badge rather than the "Avoid Like the Plague."

2012 Chevrolet Cruze electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Cruze:

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Sep 182016

Cruze

When I start my car, the four way flashers turn on, my trunk opens, wipers go off, interior lights flicker, and serve power steering appears. I brought it into the dealer, they replaced the negative battery cable for a second time, and ran an electrical diagnosis. I was told it was the battery cable, the issues are still occurring.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Aug 302016

Cruze

While driving, radio display and speakers turn on and off. Started June 2016 and has progressively gotten worse. Seems to happen when turning the vehicle and or pressing the brakes. Stabilitrack/traction control error message appears on dash. All ABS related icons flash. Sometimes it happens once. Sometimes it's repetitive until I turn the car off and then turn it back on. Doesn't matter how fast I'm going and the longer the trip, the more frequent it is. Based on what I've learned about this, it should be covered by special coverage 14311B but my dealership gives me the run around and asks silly questions about if my battery is in good condition and if I think I need a new alternator. If it was the battery, the radio/speakers wouldn't be the only item(s) that turned off. From what I'm learning, this problem gets worse and power steering or full vehicle function is diminished or goes off completely. Not sure what more needs to happen to Chevy customers for Chevy to make this a recall.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

May 212016

Cruze

I noticed my car wasn't beeping when I tried to lock it. I tried to start my car and it completely shut down. I managed to get my hood open and disconnected the battery cables. It was fine for a few weeks then the "check stabilitrack" went off and my car shut down. I made it to my destination and it shut down completely. I tried to disconnect it and even that didn't work. Upon further investigation many had had this issue and it's not the stabilitrak its apparently the ground cable to the battery (black cable). My car will work but will occasionally completely reset the system so trying to save the time or date is pointless. I want this investigated!

- Whitesboro, TX, USA

Aug 192016

Cruze

This is the second complaint that our government refuses to investigate for the government motors Chevrolet cruz vehicle. While driving, the radio will start to power cycle and the dash board instrument panel will also start flashing on and off. The vehicle will also shut completely off while driving. This will continue until you remove battery terminals and then reattach. This is happening to many Chevy cruz's and the NHTSA refuses to do anything about it. I would upload videos but this antiquated government site doesn't want to see real facts

- Glen Ellyn, IL, USA

Jul 082016

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. While the vehicle was stationary, the key fob fractured. The key fob was repaired, but the issue recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 43,000.

- North Canton, OH, USA

May 012016

Cruze

The car will not turn off when the key is turned off and removed. It will just sit there and run until it decides to quit on it's own. I would really hate to have to shut it down in an emergency and not be able to. That could get someone seriously hurt or killed! also, the vapor canister vent/purge vent valve is defective. This seems to be a common problem with this model car and if that is the case, there should be a recall.

- Sandy Ridge, NC, USA

Jun 122016

Cruze

Trunk electric open button does not work, must use the remote trunk button to open trunk. I hope that no small child should climb in trunk and close the trunk lid. When car is stationary. And remote is not close by.

- Roy, UT, USA

Sep 122012

Cruze

I've went through 7 turbos, I bought the car brand new. Im now having electrical issues with it.

- Lake Geneva, WI, USA

Mar 262016

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. While driving 10 mph, the stabilitrac warning light illuminated, the power steering failed, and the instrument panel and radio lost power. The vehicle was not taken to be diagnosed or repaired. The contact stated that the failure recurred three times. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Royal Oaks, MI, USA

Feb 052016

Cruze

On several occasions my vehicle has lost power steering service. I have almost crashed into a metro rail and into another vehicle because I am unable to turn my wheel. On another occasion, I was about to park and the car turned off on me; the key was locked into the ignition and I couldn't turn it, the doors locked and nothing worked. I was stuck inside until after about 5 minutes, the car unlocked everything and the ECU turned back on. I've had to take it to the dealership twice for this problem and they have told me it's covered under a "special service" but these incidents happened almost a year apart. I do not believe the car is fixed. Also, the service stabilitrak and other lights flash on and off and so do my radio.

- Humble, TX, USA

Mar 022016

Cruze

The turn signals quit working intermittent, radio display goes out like it is switched off, digital speedometer changes settings, these conditions occur when vehicle is driven. The service theft deterrent system comes on when vehicle is parked.

- Kronenwetter, WI, USA

Feb 012016

Cruze

While driving the power steering shuts off, radio blinks on and off, and the brakes get spongy making it hard to drive and stop. I have had it in the shop and the mechanics were unable to find an problem.

- Burnet, TX, USA

Feb 092016

Cruze

I just purchased my 2012 Chevy Cruze 3 months ago, it has 36,000 miles. Last week when I started off to work I got a reduced engine power message and the car would not accelerate. I read the manuel and followed the instructions, turned off the car, waited and restarted, but it still would not accelerate. I checked online for reported problems with the car and found that many people have had the same issue. I called the dealership and was told I could take the car in but would have to pay for any repairs because there was no recall on this problem. A few days later I started the car and it seemed fine so I tried driving it. It was fine for the first 15 minutes but then the reduced engine power light came on again and the car would not accelerate once again. I had to pull off to the side of the road, turn off the car and wait several minutes to be able to drive a short distance before the problem happened again. Thank god I was not on the highway when this happened or I could have been in a terrible accident. I can not believe that with so many owners reporting the same problem there has not been a recall. Also it appears the manufacturer was aware of the problem from the beginning because in the owners manuel they tell you what to do if this should happen.

- Fortville, IN, USA

Feb 132016

Cruze

Recall 14311 but dealer does not do anything about it, my car have done this few times already but last couple of times it was really scary because I lost total control over the vehicle including steering and braking the car just show a sing on the dash and radio goes of as well as the rest of the vehicle electrical parts, almost causing a crash due to this issue, I was driving about 35mph and 40mph when this happen, also I notice the it happens when I use my turn signals and when I press up or down on the windows

- Franklin Park, IL, USA

Jan 012016

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. While driving at an unknown speed, the power steering warning lights illuminated and the headlamps turned off without warning. The contact experienced several electrical issues with the vehicle, including the key failing to dislodge from the ignition switch. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 58,000.

- Norman, OK, USA

Dec 272015

Cruze 4-cyl

Ac off due to high temp, thermostat replaced 2014. Ac off due to high temp again, thermostat replaced May 20, 2015.. Dec 27th, 2015 ac off due to high temp again- car overheated in 10 degre weather. Thermostat being replaced for the third time!!

- South Lake Tahoe, CA, USA

Sep 152015

Cruze

My 2012 Chevrolet Cruze starting in September this year 2015 the car had 75,000 miles on it when it started with the dash lights, fan, radio and display all randomly shutting off and turning on. Sometimes when this happens the stabilitrack display will come on and this can happen at anytime but usually when the car is going slow or stopped, I first noticed it when applying the breaks. This however is not the extent of it as now when I shut the car off it has kept my keys and would not start either. Eventually when this has happened fortunately it came back to life and displayed a theft protection display. I called the local GM dealer who services my car and I was told they have never heard of such a problem however when I go online there are dozens if not hundreds of complaints related directly to these type of issues with the Chevrolet Cruze. I also posted a complaint on a car website to try to help communicate this issue with other Chevrolet Cruze owners who have the same or similar issues.

- Chippewa Falls, WI, USA

Oct 212015

Cruze

My radio flickers on and off, my ABS llight, check engine light and other lights flicker off and on real fast and on my odometer I get a reading "traction control" and something about stabilitrak control. Everything flickers so fast it's hard to see everything that lights up. Apparently many others have had the exact same issues.

- Shawnee, KS, USA

Sep 302015

Cruze

While driving the electrical functions such as radio and instrument panel will start to flash on and off with the radio display rebooting at intermittent times, and sometimes constantly. Power has on occasion been lost completely while driving. Sometimes the symptoms are only the radio and console below it losing power, but when it gets really frequent, a couple of the instrument warning lights regarding ABS and another one I cannot remember off hand flash, and the stabilitrac warning is displaying "service traction control". this can last for 5 minutes or as long as a day or more. I noticed on at least two occasions, the problems started on very humid days at both early morning and evening time frames, and necessarily while driving in rain. When problem gets extremely bad, I usually pull over somewhere and take off the "negative" battery cable for about 20 seconds using a wrench I must carry in the vehicle, forcing the control module of the vehicle to reset. This temporarily fixes the problem for an undetermined amount of time. The vehicle was brought to the Chevy dealer and they claimed they couldn't find anything nor have they ever heard of the problem. This problem occurs while vehicle is moving or stationery. This problem also occurs on expressways or city streets. This problem has occured in multiple states(North Carolina along the coast and in Chicago area. This problem has been ongoing for at least two years. The last time was on Sept. 30, 2015. I do have videos that I captured with my phone but it doesn't appear that your website can support them.

- Glen Ellyn, IL, USA

Oct 182015

Cruze

Driving the radio cuts in and out meanwhile service stabilitrac warning comes on. Does this around 6-12 times in a 30 minute drive to and from work. On a few instances the vehicle lost all power while driving. This occures on a daily basis. This happens while driving and at a stand still. Also the check engine light has come on numerous times. It is a P0597 code stating temp sensor is inoperable. Non of these issues should be going on in a 2012 with less than 45,000 miles on it.

- Northlake, TX, USA