Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: In many ways, the 2012 Cruze continues the legacy of its predecessor. It's a legacy of sluggish transmissions and coolant leaks, but it's still a legacy.

To be fair, the number of complaints about the cooling system are way down versus the 2011 model which led to a class-action lawsuit.

On the flip-side, there's more concerns about brake problems.

However, there were far more Cruze vehicles sold for the 2012 model year so we'll give it our "Beware of this Clunker" badge rather than the "Avoid Like the Plague."

2012 Chevrolet Cruze engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Cruze:

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Aug 152012

After having the underbelly shield modified on my sister's 2012 Chevrolet Cruze eco per the recall (NHTSA campaign number 12V288000) I noticed an increase in buffeting and highway speed wandering in the handling of her car.this is most noticeable at speeds of approx 75 mph and higher. The car felt less stable than it did prior to the recall service being performed on the vehicle. Because of this, I purchased a replacement underbody shield from a dealer and re-installed it. The result of this re-installation was noise back to normal, handling back to normal.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jul 132012

Cruze 4-cyl

2012 Chevrolet Cruze. Consumer writes in regards to engine shield modification the consumer stated after the recall was performed, all the lights on the dashboard illuminated, power was reduced and the word engine power reduced appeared illuminated as well. The consumer took the vehicle back to the dealer. After checking all the wiring near the locations of the cuts of the shield, the dealer tested other possibilities and informed the consumer, that cause was a bad potentiometer on the gas throttle.

- Goleta, CA, USA

Apr 282012

Cruze 4-cyl

Purchased 4/25/2012. After driving a little, noticed lack of power, easily stalls, something rolling around in the trunk lid, console piece gaped out, passenger side tail lamp inside trunk bent, engine shutters (after 500 miles it started) when turned on and off. The lack of power and engine stalling are the major safety concerns. When in a stopped position, the car will stall when the clutch is operated correctly. While making a right hand turn from a stop sign, onto route 30, at a blind intersection, the car would not move, once I let the clutch out and was in 1st gear, the car just did not move, I had the gas pushed to the floor and I was only moving inches forward. I was scared, I had my child in the car with me, a tractor trailer could have come up on me 50+ mph hit me or swerved to miss me and hit someone else. The car finally moved after about 45 sec. I then got up to speed in 6th gear. The car then again lost power, I had to down shift from 6th gear to 4th gear to get speed built back up. I got home, about 2 miles, was upset and scared, called apple Chevrolet, the car sat until I drove it to the dealership 35 mins from my home the next morning. I told them that it does not happen every day so the chances of it happening again are slim. This would be the 3rd visit to the service dept for the lack of power complaint. I drove with the tech anyway knowing that it was not going to be duplicated. I told the service rep that I wanted a turbo boost gauge put on it because it does not seem to be boosting all the time. When I was called that my car was done and nothing was duplicated, I was told that it was boosting in range. When I picked my car up the next day, there was nothing on my bill that stated that the turbo was even checked. I was told that they cannot put every piece of equipment that they use on each car on every bill. Etc...

- Abbottstown, PA, USA

Jul 022012

Cruze 4-cyl

2012 Chevrolet Cruze. Consumer writes in regards safety recall the consumer stated his wife saw a news report, where 30 vehicles had problems with oil in the bellypan. There was sufficient danger to initiate a recall. When the consumer went to have the oil change at the dealer, he brought up the recall. However, the dealer claimed to know nothing about it. The dealer then checked online and received a diagram as to how to fix the problem. The oil changed revealed and excessive amount of oil in the bellypan. The consumer also stated it was difficult to change a flat tire, due to the poorly designed jack.

- Brenham, TX, USA

Jul 242012

Cruze 4-cyl

Vehicle make / model: Model year(s): Chevrolet / Cruze 2011-2012 manufacturer: General Motors llcmfr's report date: June 21, 2012 NHTSA campaign id number: 12V288000nhtsa action number: PE12010 component: Engine and engine cooling potential number of units affected: 413,148 I am very disappointed in the fix for this issue. They have completely removed the whole center section of this shield so now my engine is exposed to road spray. This was a selling point on this vehicle and I feel we have been cheated out of this feature. They should have offered to replace it with a non combustible unit.

- Wasilla, AK, USA

Apr 052012

Cruze 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact was traveling 30 mph when the vehicle jerked while changing from first to second gear. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 760 and the current mileage was 1,300. Updated 8/23/12

- Evansville, IN, USA

Apr 292012

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. While traveling 45 mph the contact noticed flames coming from the front of the vehicle without warning of a problem. The fire department was called to exstingusih the fire and no one was injured. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The VIN was not available. The current and failure mileages were 17,000.

- Surf Side Beach, SC, USA