CarComplaints.com Notes: In many ways, the 2012 Cruze continues the legacy of its predecessor. It's a legacy of sluggish transmissions and coolant leaks, but it's still a legacy.

To be fair, the number of complaints about the cooling system are way down versus the 2011 model which led to a class-action lawsuit.

On the flip-side, there's more concerns about brake problems.

However, there were far more Cruze vehicles sold for the 2012 model year so we'll give it our "Beware of this Clunker" badge rather than the "Avoid Like the Plague."

2012 Chevrolet Cruze fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Cruze:

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments

Oct 292016

Cruze

My 2012 Chevy Cruze eco suddenly lost power and acceleration was very poor on 10/29/2016. Almost got hit trying to pull out from a stop sign because the power was no longer there to take off. After having an auto mechanic shop look at the car on 10/31/2016 we discovered that the oil line from the block or where the oil supply comes from for the turbo had been a plastic line that had melted and stopped oil from flowing to the turbo charger. This appears to be a poor design on GM's part to use plastic lines for something that will obviously be transferring hot oil. It seems to have caused the turbo to burn up and also created an exhaust leak. I am still waiting on a final price from the mechanic shop to find out how much damage was done. They have called me today 11/1/2016 and asked that I come in so they can show me more damage they have found as a result of this line melting. I have spoken to one of the owners at russell barnett family of dealerships and they were of no help stating that it is out of warranty. Really" it is a defective design flaw so why should I be having to pay for the repair" I would like some help with this issue please! I know I have 140000+/- miles on the car but it has been mostly highway miles and maintenance has always been done on the vehicle. I use this for my work and family vehicle so it is not driven hard or abused in anyway. I hate the fact of turning in a complaint that involves a dealer that I have recommended to so many people in the past but he was of no help at all and really showed no concern that there was an issue like this with a vehicle that he had sold.

- Tullahoma, TN, USA

Jul 202016

Cruze

Brought my car in for what looked like intake seals and found out that the intake manifold manifold is cracked. I called many other auto repair places and found that this is a massive problem and can only be gotten from the dealer and I will be getting one of the last in this area at the cost of $450 plus time. The car started running ruff and has 9 different codes all relating to a lean condition.

- Fitzgerald, GA, USA

Jan 192016

Cruze

My engine light is on. I put gas in my vehicle and when I turn the key to start it, it hesitates to start then when pulling off it begins to jerk.... when at lights it sometimes hesitates to take off.

- Williamsburg, VA, USA

Sep 122012

Cruze

I've went through 7 turbos, I bought the car brand new. Im now having electrical issues with it.

- Lake Geneva, WI, USA

May 032016

Cruze

Driving my car at about 25mph started to hear a rattle in it. When went to accelerate the car started to smoke and had no power. When idling you could hear the motor "work" and it had a jump in it. Only has 50,000 miles and has never been driven hard. Of course it's out of warranty now and I have no clue why it wouldn't accelerate and started smoking. The engine light came on and was still on when I left my car sitting on the side of the road.

- Roulette, PA, USA

Mar 242016

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. While driving 30 mph depressing the accelerator pedal, the vehicle would not accelerate. The vehicle sputtered and stalled, and the service engine light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the cam cover needed to be replaced and the fuel trim needed to be reset. The repairs were performed; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed again to the dealer. The contact stated that the stabilitrac warning light remained illuminated. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Dale, TX, USA

Jul 282012

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, there was strong odor inside the vehicle. The contact also stated that fuel leaked from the front of the vehicle. The failure was persistent. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the turbo cooler line, the transmission cooler hose line and the oil seal gasket needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 48,000.

- Xenia, OH, USA

Oct 232015

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. After filling the vehicle with fuel, the contact started the vehicle and it made a sputtering noise and began to shake. The contact stated that the engine warning indicator was consistently illuminated. The contact turned the key to the off position; however, the engine did not power off. It took several attempts to power the engine off. The contact released the accelerator pedal and kept the vehicle parked for approximately five minutes until the shaking and sputtering ceased. The failure recurred on several occasions when fueling the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that an unknown sensor was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 106,000.

- Honaker, VA, USA

Sep 082015

Cruze

I have noticed that the acceleration takes alot to go from 0-30 mph and when it does the car feels as though it will stall. There is a half tank of gas, and no indication it should be doing this. Oil is changed regularly. This has happened a few times before this incident of today. The gas pedal needs to be almost to the floor for it to even pick up and when it does accelerate it jumps between the gears and the RPM goes beyond 4-5 to get it to even 20mph. I did have an incident when the car stalled as I was in reverse. That happened at around 30-35K miles. I decided to google the acceleration issue and see I am not the only one. My car itself has had 3 recalls fixed.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Mar 132015

Cruze 4-cyl

I was driving the vehicle to work and the stabilitrak control and engine power loss kicks on to the vehicle and makes me have to control of the vehicle, I've almost caused several wrecks do to this happening, I've been in and out to the dealer several timesmall with this vehicle tomorrow I'm taking it in for the 7the time now this is a safety issue and it's putting me and my fiance life at risk, please some thing has to happen to get this taken care of!

- Columbia, TN, USA

Jan 032015

Cruze

Driving on the highway at roughly 70mph when car shuddered, and lost power immediately. After this the car would not accelerate. Fortunately there were no vehicles directly behind me, so I was able to pull over to the side of the road. The check engine light was illuminated and the dashboard read three errors: "engine power is reduced", "service traction control", "service stabilitrack". after turning the car off, waiting, and turning back on the vehicle worked correctly, but the issue occurred after another 15 minutes on the road. I drove in the right lane the rest of the way home to ensure our safety, and this occurred 4 times in total. This was an extremely dangerous situation during a busy holiday travel weekend. Had this occurred at the wrong time, this could have been catastrophic. Quick research online has shown this to be an issue with the make and model, as many other people have reported this exact defect.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Nov 012012

Cruze

This car has had several problems. They have had to replace a vacuum pump, the engine shield recall, the brakes stick, there is a horrible smell of hot transmission fluid constantly, the transmission coolant lines have been replaced, a pump above the fuel tank has been replaced, the car surges and causes the RPM gauge to bounce, the axles have had leaks fixed, the exterior trunk button doesn't work, driving down the road it sounds like a plastic bottle is stuck inside the passenger side front door, some times after putting the key in the ignition it won't turn, the suspension system pops and cracks, the axle squeals, shifts at inappropriate times or not when it is supposed to, the back up sensor will beep when nothing is there some times, doesn't feel like there is any pressure behind the brakes some times, and smoke row out from under the hood when stopped at stop lights some times. I think that is every thing but it has been a constant nightmare. I am guessing on miles and dates, but it was not very long after I got it brand new that it started having problems. When I started having shifting and leaks in the transmission, the dealership couldn't figure out what was wrong, I had to point out the leak myself and then he said he would get the parts ordered and they would be in within 3 days. 2 weeks later I called GM, then it was within a week I was contacted by the dealer that they had the parts, after GM said someone would contact me within 48 hours. This has been such a hassle I am now vehicle shopping and will not purchase another Chevrolet.

- Trion, GA, USA

Mar 302012

Cruze

Reference to Chevy crux 2012 intermittently smell of gasoline, worse when standing, that became more noticeable after shield was cut, but the cut made did not prevent the oil from pooling after oil change, since the metal shield that was left collect the oil, and does not prevent the pooling of oil after oil change.

- Cortland, NY, USA

Dec 032012

Cruze 4-cyl

This car would suddenly and without warning surge/lunge forward creating a safety hazard to all including other drivers. I have had it back to the dealer twice and they have confirmed and duplicated my observations and concerns however, at first they thought it was electronic and then decided to rebuild the transmission after they found metal fragments within this sealed component. This is a brand new car so why would they not replace the car, give back my money or at the very least replace the transmission rather than repair it" the car has now been in the shop for 18 of the 40 something days that I have owned it and its still there today. I am not convinced that the transmission is the real problem and I'm skeptical that GM truly knows what the issue is. I would be interested to know if other Cruze owners are also experiencing this safety issue" I am also disappointed that GM doesn't simply return the few dollars I have invested and let this car fly off into the sunset. I have been a consistant GM buyer for many many years and this particular situation has left a bad taste in my mouth to say the least.

- Lost Creek, KY, USA

Nov 142012

Cruze 4-cyl

Vehicle vents antifreeze vapors and fuel vapors into driver/passenger compartment. Odors can become noxious.

- Silverdale , WA, USA

Jul 162012

Cruze 4-cyl

Steering: Around one week prior to the incident, I had my 2012 Chevy Cruze under panel modified due to a potential engine fire. The following week, while driving home from work, I experienced a "wandering" in my vehicle. I noticed it again driving home the next day. Now, whenever this is wind, I experience my vehicle "wandering." When this occurs, my car drifts left and right much more and the front end feels lighter and far too responsive. Fuel: After the modification to my under panel, I have noticed a drop in my fuel mileage. I have seen around 2 mpg or more of reduced fuel economy.

- Hesperia, CA, USA