Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: In many ways, the 2012 Cruze continues the legacy of its predecessor. It's a legacy of sluggish transmissions and coolant leaks, but it's still a legacy.

To be fair, the number of complaints about the cooling system are way down versus the 2011 model which led to a class-action lawsuit.

On the flip-side, there's more concerns about brake problems.

However, there were far more Cruze vehicles sold for the 2012 model year so we'll give it our "Beware of this Clunker" badge rather than the "Avoid Like the Plague."

2012 Chevrolet Cruze seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Cruze:

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments

May 222016

Drove to my aunts house and unbuckled my seat belt. Went inside for a brief second while car was running. Got back into my car and tried to put my seat belt on and it would not latch. Tried various times. When I returned home I tried it again and it latched.

- Queen Creek, AZ, USA

Oct 132015

A seatbelt got wrapped around my 2 year olds neck and would not loosen and we had to cut the seatbelt because it was choking her... it happened when I was driving down the road and luckily my aunts house was close and I was able to run in the house and get scissors to cut it off her.

- Midland, MI, USA

May 052012

Cruze 4-cyl

I was involved in a collision on May 5, 2012 in which I collided into the side of another vehicle with the front end of my car. My car is brand new, less than a month old however, the seat belts did not hold and the air bags did not deploy during the crash. I was traveling at approximately 30-35 mph at the time of the crash. The collision was bad enough that my car was no longer drivable after the collision. I just bought this car which is a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze and am now afraid to keep it not knowing why the safety equipment didn't work. Also, I had activated my "on star" service but that didn't work either. I would like for someone to inspect my car before the repairs are started. Please let me know where to go from here.

- Weatherford, TX, USA