2013 Chevrolet Cruze electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Cruze:

2013 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Mar 022015

Cruze 4-cyl

2013 Chevrolet Cruze. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle shutting off momentarily, with the cruise control set.

- Washington, DC, USA

Feb 122015

Cruze

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact received a warranty letter from the manufacturer for the battery connections. The vehicle was repaired, but the air conditioning failed. The dealer could not determine the cause of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,000.

- Key Largo, FL, USA

Feb 122015

Cruze 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Cruze. When the key was in the off position, the vehicle started independently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 39,000. Updated 04/06/15

- Muskogee, OK, USA

Jan 312015

Cruze

Radio will shut off and turn back on. If blinker is activated at time the blinker will also quit working. I can go an entire trip without it doing it, or it can happen every minute or so repeatedly in a trip. This is not safe.

- Diamond, MO, USA

Jan 232015

Cruze 4-cyl

While driving the lights in the radio began to flash on and off and radio would also come on and off, the windows became stuck while trying to roll them up, lights would go on and off as well.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Oct 152014

Cruze

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph with the heating system activated, there was a odor of fumes emitting from the vents. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- Ada, OK, USA

Jan 072015

Cruze 4-cyl

I was driving home and hit an 8 point buck that weighed about 180lbs head on that caused damage from the middle front center of the car extending to the drivers side of the car and smashing up into the motor. The instrument panel immediately illuminated to service airbag but the airbag never deployed. I was told if I was going slower, the deer would have went through the windshield. I could have been seriously hurt since the airbag didn't deploy. I bought this car brand new with only 17 miles on it. I have driven it for 2 years and now have to wonder if my family and I were put at risk for the last two years, while traveling to Ohio, from Iowa and out to boise 3 times. Of course I will be told there is nothing wrong and the car will be repaired, and I will be forced to continue driving a car that I won't really feel safe in because I won't know for sure if the airbag system is fixed, and will work right if this unfortunately will ever happen again. Somehow this will be pushed under the rug and there will be nothing I can do about it.

- Eldon, IA, USA

Jan 092015

Cruze 4-cyl

I bought my 2013 Cruze in June 2014, with around 40K miles on it. In September the car began having issues. At first it was just that the radio and all dash lights would shut off. Then I had multiple service lights that would flash randomly. Those included stabilitrak, traction control, power steering and security system. At one point, while driving in a parking lot, my power steering completely locked up. My car eventually stopped starting. I was stranded at school and had to call a tow truck. When this happened, my key actually got stuck in the ignition. I was able to jump the car after several minutes of trying, but it would not keep power. I had it towed to the dealership, but they were not able to find anything wrong with it (no codes even came up on the computer) and it ran just fine for them. I drove the car home, and the next day had the same problem. This time after about 30 minutes of trying to get the car to start, it did, so I drove it straight to a Chevy shop. Again, they couldn't find any codes, but said they replaced some wiring and cleared the computer. I didn't have anymore problems until last week, when it all started happening again. I've had the power steering lock up on me in the middle of an intersection! the weird thing is, when my car doesn't want to start, all I have to do is use the little electrical knob that moves the drivers side seat back and forth, and everything fires up. GM needs to figure this out because it's bound to kill someone!

- Tigard, OR, USA

Oct 052014

Cruze 4-cyl

Coming to stop light doing only 15 mph from where I was coming from and all electrical went down. The radio was still on but couldn't : turn up/down music, use any controls on steering wheel, the infotainment screen was black. Had to turn the car off at a stop light and it didn't want to start until I did it twice. After that it was fine and hasn't done it since- but now I see others are having same issues. Also, notice the lights inside do sometimes get brighter then duller on their own- everything including the dashboard and infotainment center. Car also does have an odor with the heat on.

- Williamstown, NJ, USA

Nov 102014

Cruze 4-cyl

Dash lights and radio flashing off and on, no sound when signal is on.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Jan 132013

Cruze

I could smell coolant/antifreeze when the heater was on and the temperature was set to a high setting. I didn't think anything was wrong, just thought it might be a break-in issue. As of today's date Nov 9, 2014 I still can smell the coolant smell when the heater is on. Recently I received a letter from GM concerning possible coolant loss. At my last service of the vehicle I asked the dealer to check for this problem. Nothing was reported to me from the dealer. I assumed that there was no problem. The other issue I have noticed is dash lights dimming or brightening on their own. The latest problem was that the car would not start this morning. Drove perfectly yesterday, this morning dead. Jumped the car and everything seems fine. Making an appointment with the dealer. Noticed that the coolant level is about 3 inches low in over flow tank. Looked on the internet about Cruze cars and found many posts about electrical problems. GM tells them all that they are not aware of any electrical problems but you tube videos show gauges and radios cutting out when driving. Some videos describe cars shutting down when driving and not restarting. Others have service messages appearing on the information screen and the dealers find nothing wrong. It is starting to sound like the infamous Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems. I am seriously thinking it is time to get rid of my 2013 cruise as the factory warranty will expire soon. Current mileage is 27490 on Nov 9, 2014.

- Cold Spring, KY, USA

Apr 072014

Cruze

There are times when the car will shut off while I am driving. The radio goes off and on, and the warning of check stability trac, I have video of this happening. I have taken it in many times and have been told that they cannot do anything about it because they can replicate what I am speaking about. This has happened on many occasions.

- Tolleson, AZ, USA

Oct 032014

Cruze

On 10-1-14 my Cruze eco would not start. After multi tries and hearing only clicking sounds it did start. After getting to my destination and letting the car sit for hours it did the same thing again. Contacted dealer was told to bring car in which I did on 10-3-14. After a week, they stated they showed the alt was not charging and replaced it then again because 1st one they received from G.M was defective. On 10-10-14 picked up car started it up went home and let sit for about a hour then tried to start and again it only clicked but this time there was 3 messages and one was to roll window up and down" why? does these Cruze have electrical issues or computer issues" contacted selling dealer again and was told to bring it back which I did on 10-13-14. Waiting on my new Cruze again to be fixed and wondering why do these 5 star Cruze have so many problems according to what I have been reading the last few days without G.M doing something. I am not satisfied with this car.

- Orland, CA, USA

Jul 042013

Cruze 4-cyl

Car was jerking, then stalled, then stablitrack and traction control warning light came on.

- Stoughton, WI, USA

Sep 112014

Cruze

I drive a Chevy Cruze 2013 model. I went to the garage in the am and the car was attempting to start itself with the key in the ignition. Took the vehicle to the dealer and they said all they can do is watch it to see if it does it again. I called GM and they said that it is exactly the symptoms that they have had happen with their other vehicles and that is why there is an ignition recall. I asked them well mine isn't on the list and they said that since it isn't on the list then they wont fix it, I explained to them that my car is doing the exact same thing and that it is a safety hazard and that they should fix it, they said that they wont because it isn't on the list to be recalled and the only way they will is if it is on the list. My complaint with GM is that it is obviously happening on other vehicles as well and mine is one of them and they wont fix it cuz it isnt on their list to be fixed.

- Rose Hill, KS, USA

Aug 012014

Cruze 4-cyl

I bought my 2013 Cruze ltz about three months ago and I was sure that it was the perfect car, now, I'm fully aware that I was wrong.. I got in my car to leave for work on August 1, 2014 and when I started my car, the on dash maintenance reminders all went crazy telling me to "service power steering" and "service stabilitrak".. I knew this couldn't be right so I turned off the engine and restarted the car, the screen went crazy again with the service notifications. I didn't have time to have it checked out before work so I went ahead with my day, I got all the way to the interstate (which is about a mile and a half from my driveway) and noticed the steering was getting stiff so I pulled over and restarted the car again and the lights didn't come back on so I, again, went on about my day... issue number two-- about three days later, and every day since, my on dash touch screen goes completely black, which wouldn't bother me so bad if it didn't make all of the "service" lights come back on. I don't "need" a touch screen but it would be really nice if I didn't feel like I was driving a ticking time bomb every day since the vehicle clearly has wiring issues. Now, if I touch the brakes or roll down a window, the screen goes completely black, the dash lighting flickers and the service lights come on. I've been searching forums for almost a month and it seems that numerous people are having these issues, not only myself. I'm so disappointed with my purchase, its almost unreal.. the perfect car, in the perfect color with more recalls (and other issues that haven't been recalled) than I even know how to deal with it. Never again will I buy a Chevrolet vehicle. It is out of control to not be able to feel safe in a vehicle that you've worked extremely hard to get.

- Fort Sill, OK, USA

Jul 042014

Cruze 4-cyl

Driving down the highway @ 65 mph our 2013 Chevy Cruze died suddenly. As we coasted, I tried starting it and it started and we continued. A few minutes later it did the same thing, we coasted to the side of the road, stopped, and again it restarted. We continued our 3 hour journey home without any other incidents.

- Pleasanton, CA, USA

Jun 302013

Cruze 4-cyl

Just a few months after purchasing our Cruze, is has failed to start on numerous occasions. After 2 or 3 key turns, it does start. This has occurred a dozen or so times in the 16 months we have owned the car.

- Pleasanton, CA, USA

Feb 212014

Cruze

The cars radio and other electrical components (ex. On-star, phone chargers, usb products) will turn on and off at random. It occurs randomly and intermittently. This has happened a number of occasions roughly 15-20 times over a couple of months. It mainly happens at a red light and then will turn back on once I accelerate. This has happened on a highway going 60-70mph and the every light on the dashboard went on and on the display screen it stated stablitrax is off. Immediately pressed my onstar button and asked them to run diagnosis and the whole conversation was going in and out of being able to hear them. My radio was going on and off the entire time when the radio was on I could hear when it was off and all power was off. We did loss connection to onstar and I repressed the button. I have had them run their "diagnosis" multiple times when this happens and they never have anything come up wrong. They advised me to tale the dealer. I have been to the dealer where they advised me that unless it was happening at that time it would pretty much be impossible to figure out the problem. I have heard some clicking or switching sounds come from under the hood while I have been driving occasionally not sure if and my engine temp always runs cold not sure if either of those relate. It would be nice to feel safe in my new car and it would be nice to be paying for onstar and not have a doubt they would be reachable if this causes a bigger problem! be safe fellow Chevy Cruze drivers!

- Bloomingdale , IL, USA

May 192014

Cruze 4-cyl

Radio shuts on and off at random, problem worsens and starts to include service warnings including service stabilitrak and service security system, power steering stops working at random, also have issues starting the car on occasion.

- Griffin, GA, USA