2014 Chevrolet Cruze brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Chevrolet Cruze:

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments

May 132016

While driving in stop and go traffic on a hwy of a speed of about 10-15 mph the brakes failed to work. There was a police office one car behind who witnessed the brake lights come on but the car did not stop. The driver attempted to avoid the car in front of them by trying to get into the shoulder. The car collided with a truck in front on it. The impact was with the front driver side and the rear passenger side of the truck. When the officer had the driver take the car out of park and to try to move it out of traffic the car began to roll back and was only stopped by the emergency brake. The officer then had the driver of the truck get out and try to drive the Chevy Cruze out of traffic only to have that driver agree that the brakes were not working. During the repair process Chevy had the car for over a month and had to replace the electronic brake system as the light was on that that is was failing. I am getting the reports of the replacement of the failed brake system this week from the repair shop.

- West Linn, OR, USA

Aug 032015

My Cruze diesel around 30K miles, had an electrical issue which resulted in the dealership replacing the radio and other electrical nodes. Around 40K miles the battery and alternator went bad. None of which were covered by the dealership so I had to pay for it myself. Since 45K miles, the car has randomly popped up a message saying the engine power is reduced. I travel to large urban areas and this has happened to me in the worst of situations and I am lucky to be alive due to this issue. This now comes on often and is not covered by the Chevy dealership I went to. I just purchased this car in 2014. Seriously considering the lemon law

- Larwill, IN, USA

Apr 212015

On April 21 2015, right rear brake was squealing took to dealership and they cleaned and adjusted rear brakes. Car had 21804 miles at the time. On May 10, 2016 took car back to the dealership had 559990 miles the car started to over heat. The water pump was leaking and they replaced the pump. Back to the dealership on May 31, 2016 57300 miles check engine light was on and car had a miss. It had a leading valve cover and intake manifold.

- Martinsburg, WV, USA

Jan 272016

The contact owns a 2014 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that while driving and coming to a stop, the brake pedal was depressed and became stuck to the floorboard resulting in the vehicle not moving. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. Failure mileage was not available.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 012015

My Chevrolet Cruze 2014 model car has a problem with brakes. I have 6500 miles on car. During the car is running the hand break light was on and the followed by engine light. And was hardly able to break. I managed to take the car to service center. Ray Chevrolet service center checked my car and told me that break wiring's are damaged and needs to replace otherwise I cant drive the car. How can a wiring in side the car can get damaged and result in failure of brakes. The car is only one year old and 6500 miles on it. The wiring inside the car is not a regular maintenance item like oil change or tires. I dont know when will it happens again. Attached is the bill of service report.

- Mount Prospect, IL, USA

Dec 012015

Break fluids low, hand break light on. When I started the car in the morning, the hand break light is on, and I called the service center and sheduled an appointment. They run the diagnosis check and I was informed the break wiring was faulty and I was asked to pay out of my pocket.

- Mount Prospect, IL, USA

Sep 252015

The contact owns a 2014 Chevrolet Cruze. While making a left turn, the brakes failed to engage when the brake pedal was depressed and a loss of steering power was experienced. The contact crashed into a guardrail. There were no injuries and a police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed, but the failure cause could not be determined. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V442000 (steering). The vehicle was repaired under the recall. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 45,070.

- Richmond, KY, USA

Jul 012015

The contact owned a 2014 Chevrolet Cruze. While approaching a stop light, the brake pedal was depressed but failed to respond. All of the lights on the instrument panel illuminated and the engine stalled. The vehicle caught fire and was destroyed. A police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 200. The VIN was unavailable.

- Elizabethtown, KY, USA

Aug 092015

At 55mph I felt that I had plenty of time to stop in a hurry. I applied firm pressure on the breaks and the breaks locked up. The car began to go into a skidding motion and I had absolutely no control over the steering wheel to move out of the way, I could have avoided this collision if I turned to the right, but because I had no steering ability I rear-ended them from my skid. The ABS braking system, it is suppose to help me by pumping the brakes for me, but it didn't. I sustained a broken leg when the air bag deployed at my leg. On other occasions, I had also experienced the loss of power while would hesitate and then power and thought there was something wrong with the transmission. Brought it in for that and they said there was nothing wrong with

- Monmouth , OR, USA

Nov 212014

Cruze 4-cyl

Brakes locked up (anti-lock braking system faulty) causing the car to skid rather than slow down during stop and go traffic. I was unable to turn the steering wheel and could not even try to swerve to avoid the other vehicle. Car was unable to stop in time and there was a collision.

- Omaha, NE, USA

May 012014

Cruze 4-cyl Diesel

At the end of December 2013 I purchased a 2014 Chevy Cruze turbo diesel. Shortly after buying this vehicle I discovered there as a problem with the excessive torque and the braking system and hair trigger brake release. When releasing the brake this car would leap forward in an unsafe manner. This would happen when releasing the brake slightly. Releasing the brake a quarter of an inch or less was sufficient. I am not talking about my foot slipping off the brake pedal. The high RPM's and torque is not a good match with this particular automatic transmission. I am sure a standard transmission would be a better match. After my car jumped out into a major street and almost caused an accident I took my vehicle to my local dealership. The dealership examined my car and came up with the bellowing results: Brakes feel normal for vehicle. 4 wheel disc and has electric vacuum pump. No repairs required at this time. Idle normal for present time, ECM will rise idle at certain time like cold start compensate for battery draw of glow plugs?. by the way the above incident occurred when the car was normal operating temperature. As a result I immediately traded this vehicle (1500 miles were on the odometer) for a different brand. It would be nice if your engineers could look into this matter to avoid future incidents with other Chevy cruz owners. I am very concerned over the safety of this vehicle. Thanks

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Apr 082014

The contact owns a 2014 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that while at a stop and releasing the brakes, the vehicle was hesitant to respond and failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was advised that the brakes were functioning properly. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 7,000 and the current mileage was 8,000.

- Viroqua, WI, USA

Feb 142014

Cruze 4-cyl

The brake pedal will push (in a panic stop) to below the accelerator allowing the car to continue accelerating when the brake pedal is pushed to stop vehicle. This has occurred at least two times in 3 months. I have never had a car with brake pedal travel to go to and below the level of the accelerator pedal. A wide shoe will allow the above mentioned problem. I have had the dealer (westside Chevrolet, katy tx) look at the problem. The answer I get that there is no adjustment to the brakes. I feel this is a safety problem and the brake pads should be replaced in order to prevent an accident.

- Houston, TX, USA