2014 Chevrolet Cruze drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Chevrolet Cruze:

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 202016

Cruze

The car turns off while I am driving, no matter where I have had it turn off on the expressway and street while in drive and at times it the RPM idles while im at the stip like and parked. I have contacted Chevy but they didn't want to honor the powertrain warranty and I was not to told not to come back to ron craft Chevy. So I took it to miller auto body and repair, here in houston, they recommend that I replace the engine cover I did out of my own pocket even though its was supposed to be honored at the Chevy dealership under powertrain. I still continue to drive the car but it still losses power and turns off while im driving. Last night the battery died, I replaced it with a new today but the car still shuts down and stops while I'm driving. I don't know what to do and why this is happening and why Chevy isn't honoring the powertrain warranty on the faulty engine components, the stablility track stays and the check engine lights stays on and a traction lights stays on. I have done regular maintenance on this car every since I bought it, every maintenance inspections were all done by Chevy, I just don't under stand why they play dumb when honoring my powertrain warranty.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 152016

Cruze

The contact owns a 2014 Chevrolet Cruze. While accelerating from a stop, the vehicle surged forward inadvertently at different times. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed, but the failure could not be duplicated. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 12,386.

- Asbury Park, NJ, USA

Aug 192016

Cruze

The vehicle's def sensor went bad, resulting in the vehicle entering "limp mode" after 100 miles. As this vehicle is diesel, it is used to commute long distances (100 miles each way.) this caused the vehicle to not be capable of driving a safe speed on the highway. This vehicle is less than 2 years old, no sensors should be going bad after two years. The "fix" provided by the manufacturer is to replace the whole def tank with a new updated tank (including sensor) and an accompanying module. As I drive relatively long distances, my warranty is up, resulting in this "fix" to come out of my pocket. After reviewing many online forums, it appears that this is a common issue.

- Mercer, PA, USA

Jul 262016

Cruze

Transmission downshifting harshly from 4-3 then 3-2. throws you forward and I feel like I have whiplash from it. Took it to Chevy dealer twice and they said its fine. It is not fine.

- Swartz Creek, MI, USA

Aug 052016

Cruze

My car loses acceleration when driving. It almost stops in the middle of the street. I am trying to go but when I put my foot on the gas it doesn't go. I hear something underneath when I try to put my put on the gas.

- Pontiac, MI, USA

Apr 212015

Cruze

On April 21 2015, right rear brake was squealing took to dealership and they cleaned and adjusted rear brakes. Car had 21804 miles at the time. On May 10, 2016 took car back to the dealership had 559990 miles the car started to over heat. The water pump was leaking and they replaced the pump. Back to the dealership on May 31, 2016 57300 miles check engine light was on and car had a miss. It had a leading valve cover and intake manifold.

- Martinsburg, WV, USA

Aug 132014

Cruze 4-cyl

2014 Chevrolet Cruze. Consumer writes in regards to front axle right half shaft fracture recall replacement parts issue. The consumer received the recall notice in May 2014. However, the axle wasn't replaced until August 2014. The consumer stated the dealer shouldn't have allowed her to continue to drive the vehicle. On October 16, 2014 another dealer found the right front axle outer cv boo leaking, throwing grease on the right front brake. Causing the brake to become contaminated and difficult to grab. The right front axle shaft assembly and front brake pads were replaced.

- Mcdermott, OH, USA

Dec 262015

Cruze 4-cyl

Letter from congresswoman comstock on behalf of constituent re Chevy cruz engineering failure of the construction of the vehicle. The consumer stated she was not aware of recalls 14V092000 and 14V151000; power train that were issued on March 31, 2014 and no one at the dealer brought it to her attention. She purchased the vehicle on July 3, 2014. On December 26, 2015, she experienced complete engine failure. The dealer replaced the engine. However, on February 1, 2016, the vehicle lost all power while driving on the highway. The vehicle was towed to the dealer.

- Oak Hill, VA, USA

Mar 112015

Cruze

I currently own a 2014 Chevrolet Cruze ls that I have owned for a year with 59,000 miles. In this vehicle I have been experiencing power loss while accelerating on interstate, transmission disengages and reengages and jerks very hard while trying to accelerate. It will not accelerate more than 45 mph on interstate. It will then operate normally after about 5-10 miles after transmission disengages and reengages. Also has no power or acceleration while A/C is on.

- Serafina, NM, USA

Jan 112016

Cruze

I bought a 2014 Chevy Cruze last year. 2 days ago the 'service stabilitrak' light came on and the car started hesitating and jerking. We took it in the next day for service and they told us that there may be a recall pending, but because the light had gone back off they wouldn't do anything about it. I am afraid of this happening again while in traffic, and im not sure what to do next. They need to do a recall asap on this system before someone is injured. We feel very unsafe with this issue possibly happening again, but the dealer will not do anything unless it does happen again.

- Kernersville, NC, USA

Dec 032014

Cruze

The contact owns a 2014 Chevrolet Cruze. While attempting to accelerate, the vehicle failed to increase in speed. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 13,000. The VIN was not available.

- Racine, OH, USA

Oct 012015

Cruze 4-cyl

2014 Chevrolet Cruze. Consumer writes in regards to transmission shift problems. The consumer stated it took a while, before the gears shifted properly. Also, at times, there was a smell of gas and coolant. The battery cables were corroded.

- Oak Park, MI, USA

Jul 012015

Cruze 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that the gear shift failed to switch into the park position without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 11,800. MA 09/25 updated 03/08/16.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 202015

Cruze

Looses power when sitting at light, doesn't quite shut off, constant belt squealing, engine light coming on, taken back to dealership on 3/21/15 because the engine light came back on, belt still squealing, engine still hesitating and losing power. Dealership replaced knock sensor and drive belt tensioner. Taken back on April 3, squealing still, making a loud sound when you turn the car off, still having hesitation problems. Dealership replaced water pump and harmonic balancer. Taken back again, still hesitating, dying down in power still, making sound when you shut the engine off still. Taken back again, replaced seal in engine that was being sucked into intake. Still having problems with hesitation, power dying down and no pick up or acceleration.

- Orange Park, FL, USA

May 282015

Cruze

The contact owns a 2014 Chevrolet Cruze. While driving at approximately 70 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated up to approximately 90 mph. The contact managed to shift to neutral and come to a complete stop. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be duplicated. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 9,000.

- 6240 Pheasant Hill Road, OH, USA

Apr 012014

Cruze

Classic Chevrolet in granbury tx sold me a 2014 Chevy cruz that had a broken axle and was a outstanding recall. I tried to return car for this reason but they would not take it. The car then sat at the dealership for approximately 2 months waiting for parts and I once again tried to turn car in.

- Granbury, TX, USA

Dec 042014

Cruze

Can't remove key when car is in park. Two different times now. Also car with 900 miles on it failed to start and key was stuck this time also. Tow truck driver called, he also could not remove key. Checked car for anything left on, found nothing. Jumped car, it started, he moved the shifter lever roughly several times, key came out. Told us not to turn car off and take it to dealership. Driver thought battery was bad also. Took car in. They kept car three days. Were told twice by service man battery had a bad cell. When called to pick up car, service told us we must have left something on. That nothing was wrong. And we must not have shifter in park. Left dealership, no battery replaced, no real answer to why key didn't come out. Did not even put car on a charger to get battery back to 100%.

- Perry, MI, USA

Jun 092014

Cruze

The contact owns a 2014 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign id number: 14V151000 (power train). However, the parts were not available. The dealer could not repair the vehicle for three months because the parts were not available. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue.

- Reading, PA, USA

Aug 142014

Cruze 4-cyl

I found a white metallic gunk on driveway. I went to investigate for leakage, after dealer had one week ahead appointment available. I found rust on the welds of the muffler, rust on the hanger rods for the muffler, rust on nuts and bolts throughout the under carriage, rust on metal parts of the drive shaft, rust on the back tire trims, rust on the engine block, rust on the suspension, rust on the shocks, and the list goes on, on the many more parts of the under carriage. Not just rust but corrosive rusting, that just didn't start over the last three weeks. Dealer had to fail to put car up on rack upon receiving from Chevrolet, and failed before handing it. This type of rusting happens only after maybe three years or more at least according to people I've shown the photos to, who know cars. Dealership has a GM expert coming in to expect the car. Feel very unsafe driving this car.

- Bloomingdale, NJ, USA

Jul 292014

Cruze

After purchasing the 2014 Cruze on July 29, 2014, I drove it to my residence which was for 6 miles and parked in my driveway. I placed the shift level in the park position and set the emergency brake. My grand daughter, age 16, asked if she could test drive the car. After entering the vehicle, she released the emergency brake and attempted to start it. The car would not start and unknown to her while attempting to start, the vehicle slowly went backwards into the street. The shift lever in the vehicle was stuck in park and would not move and it would not start. I called on star and asked them to run a test on the car to see what was wrong with it. The lady came back with no known problems from their test. I asked and she called a tow truck to return the vehicle to the dealer. The Cruze was repaired the next day. The problem was identified with a defective shift cable. The casing around the shift cable at the transmission cracked causing cable not to release leaving transmission in free mode. I was upset and angry with the dealership and GM because the vehicle broke down in the first 6 miles. I then checked for recalls on the vehicle and found GM recall number 14048 and NHTSA recall 14V092, which identified my defect exactly, but did not include my VIN in the recall order. I called GM and expressed my concerns they assigned a case number and a very nice lady called and asked what would make me happy. My main concern was the safety of my family and other people who have bought the Cruze with a defective shift lever cable. Once a part is identified as defective it should no longer be used and it should be replaced on all manufactured vehicles. I was offered a replacement vehicle by the dealership and GM but I declined the offer.

- Warner Robins, GA, USA