2014 Chevrolet Cruze fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Chevrolet Cruze:

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments

Oct 122016

Cruze

October 12 2016 my Chevy Cruze was hit by a peterbilt 375 dump truck in two place the driver side rear wheel and driver and passeger door speed was just over 20 mile per hour increasing because the mack truck bulldoze me up the road my airbags did not deploy and my seat belt did not tighten up. I complained in 2015 August about the fuel injection not allowing the car to accelerate when I suppress the gas pedal to the floor my car just did not move for about 5 seconds then surged violently. Wentworth Chevrolet and GM customer care center conducted a product safety check on my anti locking/airbags/ and fuel injection releasing the car 15 days later stating the vehicle had not problem then 10/12/2016 happened. I believe GM and wentworth allowed a compromised and broken vehicle back out on the road endangering my life acting with reckless negligence and complete lack of ownership and responsibility.

- Portlandf, OR, USA

Jul 062016

Cruze

The contact owns a 2014 Chevrolet Cruze. While driving 30 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the heater for the diesel fuel tank needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Putnam Valley, NY, USA

May 122016

Cruze

Soon after purchase in 2014, my Cruze turbo diesel started having many different errors showing on the dash display anywhere from traction control, power steering, and others. After many attempts through local dealers, GM sent a technician to me and repaired that issue. Now there has been many issues with the car flashing issues on the dash about diesel exhaust fluid poor, particulate filter full need regen, and finally power decreased, which I did not have hardly any acceleration. I followed every procedure the owners manual and car told me to do, and still did not regenerate the particulate filter. The dealer had to force a regeneration on the filter and order a def heater. It seems that there is many electrical issues with this car and once one is repaired, another one appears. Other than the electrical / computer issues which is unpredictable, it is a great car since we purchased it new.

- Boaz, KY, USA

Feb 172016

Cruze

The contact owns a 2014 Chevrolet Cruze. After starting the engine, a strong odor of fuel was present inside the vehicle. While idling, approximately 1/4 of a tank of fuel had evaporated. The contact also indicated that fuel leaked under the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that rodents damaged the fuel lines. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 9,700.

- White Hall, OH, USA

Nov 192015

Cruze

Fuel system failure resulting in catastrophic engine fire. I purchased this vehicle brand new in April 2014. After complaining about engine power loss three months prior, I started smelling a fuel odor the week before thanksgiving, I immediately notified the Chevrolet dealer about the odor, the dealer did inform me that a tsb was on GM dealer world in regards to the fuel rails possibly coming loose causing a fuel odor / hesitation. After careful examination of the vehicle there was no visible fuel liquid present on the engine or ground below the vehicle. The vehicle sat parked in the driveway for majority of the day, upon starting the vehicle to Transport to the dealer three minutes after the vehicle burst into flames in the engine compartment, using a garden hose while calling 911 the vehicle became fully involved in the engine bay spreading into the passenger compartment. Once water contacted the engine bay the fire further spread indicating the fire was chemically based. The local fire department extinguished the vehicle using a foam water mixture. The vehicle was declared a total loss by insurance, I contacted GM customer support only to be stonewalled by the agent. I had over 10000 dollars in payments invested in this vehicle. GM should have stepped up to the plate not the insurance. Not a surprise after the ignition switch discretions and deaths. Google Chevy Cruze engine fires this has happened several times before!!!!!!!!!!

- Cleburne, TX, USA

Oct 042015

Cruze

Car randomly will shutoff/jerk and restart, similar to turning off the key and turning it back on immediately. All of the dash lights came on and went off, the radio restarted and froze. Vehicle lost power electrically and the engine shutoff for a split second. Vehicle has electric power steering that quit, due to loss of vehicle power. This occurred while coming to a stop at a stop light, almost stopped.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Nov 032014

Cruze 4-cyl

Problem: Smell of gas upon restart of vehicle. Summary; I had driven from Chicago to brownstown, mi (which is a distance of about 250 - 300 miles) where I dropped someone off. Stopped for about 5 minutes, then started driving from brownstown to carleton. When leaving brownstown, I did accelerate a little more forcefully than usual to get away from tailgater, and continued the trip to carleton (total distance about 7 miles). Stopped at store for about 10 - 15 minutes for groceries. When I restarted the vehicle in carleton store parking lot, there was a distinct smell of gasoline. The smell dissipated after a minute, but I also opened the window to help with that. Today I googled Cruze gas smell to see if any other people experienced the same thing, and I found several comments describing gas smell on restart of car. I am reporting this, only to bring it to your attention. I will be taking my Cruze into the dealership soon for another issue with fluid leaking from car (received letter yesterday, and have observed same), and will report the gas smell. Although nothing has happened, a gas smell seems like a potentially serious problem. I am hoping the problem will be identified and fixed before a serious incident occurs.

- Carleton, MI, USA