2014 Chevrolet Cruze steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Chevrolet Cruze:

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 192016

Cruze

The contact owns a 2014 Chevrolet Cruze. While driving approximately 35 mph, the power steering suddenly malfunctioned and caused the steering wheel to become very difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering wheel angle sensor was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,000.

- Fenton, MI, USA

Aug 032016

Cruze

Takata inflators, car crashed for unknown reasons, injured 3 children, outside the car, and not one airbag deployed.

- Hermiston, OR, USA

Aug 072016

Cruze

Loss of electrical power to instrument cluster and radio and power steering. It can happen when moving or standing still or turning.

- Virginia, MN, USA

May 312016

See pdf

- Great Falls, MT, USA

May 092016

Cruze

The contact owns a 2014 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced a loss of steering while driving 20 mph. The service power steering warning indicator illuminated. The failure occurred three times. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 15V442000 (steering); however, the VIN was not included. The failure mileage was approximately 55,000.

- Smithfield, NC, USA

Oct 302015

Cruze

The contact owns a 2014 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that the service power steering and service vehicle stability trac warning lights illuminated intermittently, and the radio functions failed intermittently also. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer or independent mechanic to be diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 61,000.

- Northglenn, CO, USA

Sep 252015

Cruze

The contact owns a 2014 Chevrolet Cruze. While making a left turn, the brakes failed to engage when the brake pedal was depressed and a loss of steering power was experienced. The contact crashed into a guardrail. There were no injuries and a police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed, but the failure cause could not be determined. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V442000 (steering). The vehicle was repaired under the recall. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 45,070.

- Richmond, KY, USA

Aug 092015

Cruze

At 55mph I felt that I had plenty of time to stop in a hurry. I applied firm pressure on the breaks and the breaks locked up. The car began to go into a skidding motion and I had absolutely no control over the steering wheel to move out of the way, I could have avoided this collision if I turned to the right, but because I had no steering ability I rear-ended them from my skid. The ABS braking system, it is suppose to help me by pumping the brakes for me, but it didn't. I sustained a broken leg when the air bag deployed at my leg. On other occasions, I had also experienced the loss of power while driving..car would hesitate and then power and thought there was something wrong with the transmission. Brought it in for that and they said there was nothing wrong with

- Monmouth , OR, USA

Feb 032014

Cruze 4-cyl

While driving at 65-70 mph on straight and level highway, steering would develop a "sticky or dead spot" on center when attempting to make a slight correction. It required increased effort to overcome the sticking spot resulting in oversteer causing the vehicle to over-veer. Very dangerous. NHTSA is aware of the defect. Hard to believe there is no recall..

- New Milford, NJ, USA

Feb 102015

Cruze 4-cyl

When making a slight correction on the hi-way the steering wheel feels as if it binds and the after a short turn of the wheel it suddenly takes off. It does this in either direction and you end up weaving back and forth trying to stay in your lane. The car is now beginning to do this at all speeds on the hi-way and I am beginning to feel unsafe. There seems to be no problem at slow speeds around the city.

- Reynoldsburg, OH, USA

Feb 022015

Cruze

The contact owns a 2014 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 60 mph, the vehicle stalled but was able to be restarted. The contact also stated that when attempting to drive the vehicle, the vehicle jerked incessantly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering gear needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred. The contact stated that after the vehicle was repaired, there was an abnormal burning odor inside the cabin. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 3/31/15

- Downey, ID, USA

Jan 282015

Cruze

The contact owns a 2014 Chevrolet Cruze. While driving approximately 15 mph making a left hand turn, the steering wheel seized and caused the vehicle to crash into a sidewalk. The air bags failed to deploy. No police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician made unknown repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 10,000.

- Diamond Bar, CA, USA

Nov 212014

Cruze 4-cyl

Brakes locked up (anti-lock braking system faulty) causing the car to skid rather than slow down during stop and go traffic. I was unable to turn the steering wheel and could not even try to swerve to avoid the other vehicle. Car was unable to stop in time and there was a collision.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jun 192014

Cruze

When traveling down the interstate on multiple occasions the steering column becomes 'stuck' or 'sticky' in the aspect that it requires extra exertion of force to move it in either directions. This results in the car swerving and on more than one occasion almost wrecking.

- Maryville, TN, USA

Dec 192014

Cruze

Water pump had to be replaced due to leak, computer reprogramed to fix steering wheel catch, battery terminal cable replaced for unknown reason. All this on a brand new 2014 Cruze. Wtf? not to mention initial drive shaft repairs. Thought this was an american made car with quality american parts, worst first new car buyer experience ever. Make it right GM.

- Deer Park, WA, USA

Nov 142014

Cruze 4-cyl

At highway speeds the steering sticks. Making it scary to drive and dangerous.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Nov 152014

Cruze 4-cyl

While traveling on a 50 mile trip ( each way) 100 total, over the weekend I noticed at traveling speeds of 65-70 mph that the steering was almost unresponsive for a second, or sloppy, like it had a dead spot and wasn't responding. I was noticing, that when I went to adjust the steering there was like a spot in the steering where it wouldn't react which I found very unsafe. Upon decelerating at slower speeds on regular roads around 30-40mph I noticed the problem still being there. I find it extremely unsafe and its like the steering isn't responding properly which in the event of needing to avoid an accident can end up causing one. I ask that someone please look into this matter. I did some google searches online and have found that there are many owners of Chevrolet Cruze vehicles having these problems. I will be contacting my dealer in the morning. Unfortunately they haven't been very good at figuring out other problems that I have had in the past. Cruze owners speak up please so we can get this problem resolved.

- Maple Shade, NJ, USA

Aug 162014

Cruze 4-cyl

I parallel parked my car on a hillside street with the front wheels angled to touch the concrete curb per the city's hillside parking rules. I removed the key and locked the doors. When I returned to drive home after the car was safely parked for about 1 hour ( time was about 6:30 pm--still daylight) I could not turn the ignition key to unlock the electric steering lock. None of the electrical accessories worked because the steering wheel was locked. I couldn't open the electric windows, so I was sweating with all the windows closed. I was able to call onstar with my cell phone for help and they confirmed that my battery was fully charged and they had me try my other ignition key and to repeatedly turn/rock the steering wheel forcefully to unlock it with the key in the ignition. After nothing worked, the onstar service person said he would call a tow truck for service. After we hung up, and I was waiting, I tried the ignition key again, and the key turned and unlocked the electric steering lock. I could start the car to drive again.I called onstar back to cancel the tow service call. I took the car to my Chevrolet dealer 3 days later for a routine maintenance appointment I had made 3 weeks before. Nothing they could do, except advise me not to angle the front wheel when I parked & locked the car. This does not seem like a safe way to design an steering ignition lock. It took me over 45 minutes to finally unlock the steering wheel & start the car.

- Lomita, CA, USA

Aug 132014

Cruze 4-cyl

While driving in straight line on highway the steering locked or hit a dead spot while trying to make a minor correction to stay within my lane. I felt a slight resistance though the wheel to my steering correction and then the resistance wall would break and the car would rapidly jerked to the direction of the input. Felt almost like a notch in a ratchet. This problem would replicate the opposite direction to correct for the initial over steer input caused from previous dead spot. Car would wonder in lane chasing steering inputs and distracting the driver due to full attention needing to be used to steer the car with out drifting. Problem made me feel unsafe and I had no steering feel with the car. Makes driving in windy conditions difficult and scary. I also experienced this identical problem on a rental Cruze.

- Westfield, IN, USA

Sep 012013

Cruze 4-cyl

No matter what my speed, my steering wheel sticks when I go to make minor steering corrections and overcompensates when it comes loose, resulting in the car turning more than wanted.

- Conway, NH, USA