2005 Chevrolet Equinox brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Equinox:

2005 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 092010

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the power steering and brakes failed. The contact crashed into a median and rolled over. The air bags failed to deploy upon impact and the power windows failed to open. A police report was filed. The driver sustained injuries to the neck and shoulder. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was destroyed. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 32,000.

- Warsaw, VA, USA

Oct 042011

Equinox 6-cyl

It been in Chevy dealer for repair hub replace wind in dealer refund cost.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Sep 012011

Equinox 6-cyl

I was on the freeway merging into the slow lane when the car in front of me slowed so I put my foot on the brake and all I heard was grinding clunking no brakes suddenly my ABS light came on and I had brakes. Since then I have taken it to 5 different places, spent 300 + dollars to replace the sensors, 700+ dollars to replace all of the brakes and systems (the guy felt bad because the computer says nothing is wrong but he himself almost hit the wall because no brakes) clearly something is wrong over 2 years I have spent over 2 thousand dollars but still the problem persists. There have been numerous complaints on here and the dealers response to me "bring it in and for $105 we will hook it up and see what's wrong" so what I spend another thousand with the dealer and no solution. It has to be something the models on here have in common. Why hasn't anybody looked into this. Is it going to take someone being killed and channel 7 looking into this before something is done? last night my husband almost went into an intersection because he couldn't stop. I can't afford a new car if I could I would have gotten rid of it in 2011.

- Fontana, CA, USA

May 072013

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while accelerating, the front passenger's brake caliper seized and caused the vehicle to become inoperable. The contact had the vehicle towed a dealer, who stated that the a pinch in the brake hose caused the caliper to lock. The dealer replaced the caliper and the ABS system. After the repair, the driver's side brake caliper seized. The contact did not take the vehicle back to the dealer nor call the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 94,000.

- Marshall, NC, USA

May 022013

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated while driving approximately 10 mph over a speed bump, the brake pedal was depressed and the brakes began to pulsate with the illumination of the ABS and traction control warning indicators. The vehicle failed to slow down after repeatedly applying the brakes. The emergency brake was engaged in order for the vehicle to stop. The vehicle was able to resume normally and had been taken to four independent mechanics for diagnosis, all of which were unable to locate the cause of the failure. The front brakes, ABS sensors and ABS module were replaced. The problem persisted after the repair was performed. Most recently, a technician informed the contact that problem could possibly be caused by an electrical issue. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 92,000.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Jul 292013

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the brakes began grinding and pulsating when applied. The ABS and traction control warning lamps illuminated simultaneously. The vehicle was not taken for inspection. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 167,000.

- Olean, NY, USA

Mar 242006

Equinox 6-cyl

I purchased a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox lt on 7/20/2005 from graff Chevrolet in grand prairie, Texas and have never been notified of recalls ! I spents hours on the phone with GM's customer service trying to get assistance to no avail.. the gmpp didn't help me, just money I paid for nothing!

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Sep 132011

Equinox 6-cyl

Vehicle developed a shutter when stopping and ABS light would come on. This caused the car to take longer to stop. Took the car to ase certified repair shops and they replaced the wheel hub and speed sensor. This did not fix the problem. What finally fixed it was replacing the jumper harness #15773652. I spent over $700 on this issue, because it was a safety problem. The mechanics did not even know to look for this problem, because there was not a bulletin issued by GM on this. The harness and install is only a $68 fix and I have had no more problems in over a year. I have read enough reports on the internet to know this is a common problem with the 2005 Equinox.

- Fremont, OH, USA

Mar 182013

Equinox 6-cyl

I was driving at approx 35 mph approaching a curve in the road. I applied the brakes, the car fishtailed and slid sideways off the road, down an embankment. The car then turned heading in the opposite direction, I hit a mailbox, then a phone pole. The entire time my foot was on the brake but the car was not slowing and continued to accelerate. The car then went back up the embankment, hit another mailbox and continued down the road for a very long distance without slowing while my foot was on the brake. Steering was not responding, the car kept accelerating. I put it in neutral, no help, then finally slammed it in park and put the emergency brake on to stop the car.

- Harrison, OH, USA

Oct 292012

Overall problem: The ABS system kept kicking in at low speed stops and the ABS/tc light came on it started out as an occasional ABS sensation in the brake pedal, which got worse over a matter of a couple weeks. The times when this occurred, the braking was gentle` and gradual, so it was completely inappropriate for the ABS to come on and my braking distance was increased. After the first week the ABS/tc light came on and the problem occurred more frequently (example: At least twice on my 15 minute commute). After confirming that it was not a problem with my brakes, the dealer decided it was my wheel hub and I paid for that (expensive) replacement. The problem went away for one day, and then returned even more severely and I was concerned about being able to stop safely. After doing some research on chevroletforum online for others with this issue, we found that it was likely the "pigtail wire harness". this was confirmed by the dealer and replaced on that second trip. Here's a link to the forum, in case you'd like to see what other's are experiencing:

- Newcastle, CA, USA

Mar 072011

Equinox 6-cyl

ABS and traction control light came on. Feels like brakes are sticking or not responding. I'll be pressing the gas pedal and as soon as I take my foot off it immediately slows down. When I got out, it smelled like burned rubber and smoke was coming from the brake area. I've been to the dealership twice to get it repaired and nothing has worked so far. I got new brakes and rotors put on 3 months ago and they're already worn out. I've only put on about 1200 miles on them.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jul 132011

Equinox 6-cyl

Was driving down the road and the engine stalled all the lights came on the dash. Have been having major problems with the ABS brakes when I pressed on them I had no brakes had to go off side of the road to stop so I wouldn't hit stopped vehicles. Then the engine does not want to start back up after it stalls and the traction control light comes on. I've owned the car for 3 years and have had nothing but problems with it. I thought I bought a lemon but when I read other people and their problems with these cars it sounds like their all lemons!!

- Murray City, OH, USA

Jun 112012

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while turning, she noticed that the vehicle emitted a loud noise from the rear. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnosis. The dealer stated that they had to replace the rear differential drum. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 115,000 and the current mileage was 116,000.

- Georgetown , KY, USA

Oct 142011

Equinox 6-cyl

10-14-11 problems with ABS light, followed by tc light coming on, followed by the car slowing or jumping forward when brakes applied, difficulty stopping. Lost control of the car. Slowed to make a turn on a 2 way road, car traveled over double yellows, off road, into a pull out area before stopping. Luckily I was traveling at a very slow speed & there were no on coming vehicles. By stopping and turning off engine, lights would go out but come back on after about a mile. Car would stall or jump forward, braking difficult. New brakes installed, problems continued. 10-26-11 took car back & had both front wheel bearings & sensors replaced. Problems continue. 11-18-2011 car taken to Chevy mech. & tested. They decided I needed the lf jumper harness & speed sensor replaced. 4 weeks ago: Slight grinding sound from front wheels while turning. Check engine & tc lights came on, stalling & braking problems. Took car in for 100,000 service, drove 30 miles to my home. Car ran perfectly. Later the same day car ran fine for 2 miles, then ABS & tc lights came on, began to lug down & stall, surge forward, stall. Car stalling continually. Towed car. Mechanic is unable to determine what is wrong. Tomorrow he will tow the car to the Chevy dealer for evaluation. Question for Chevrolet and NHTSA~~my car is a 2005. I have researched this problem & realize that this is an on going problem with the Equinox, a safety problem to myself, my family & other Chevy owners & motorists. Why haven't these vehicles been recalled, why has Chevrolet been allowed to continue selling the Equinox with this life threatening brake and T/C problem? scary. Not only am I out money for trying to fix this problem but now I find out that apparently there is no fix to the problem! I own a vehicle I no longer feel safe driving, I have no idea when the car will decide to shift, stall, brake or not brake.

- La Honda, CA, USA