2005 Chevrolet Equinox brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Equinox:

2005 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 192016

Equinox

ABS pulsates by itself while driving making it hard to stop when I need to. When I do push down on the breaks it pushes back preventing me from stopping quickly or at all. After a while driving like this the ABS traction light comes on and stays on until I turn it off and then it happen all over again. I have been to the dealer to have it fix but the problem keeps reoccurring. In 2012 the car just stop on the road that wasn't break related causing us to get hit from behind and the airbag didn't deploy. The car now is have electrical problems where it seems like one thing is failing after another. For example side mirrors don't work, rear windshield wiper stop working, airbag never deployed.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

May 082012

Equinox

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving at 15 mph while depressing the brake pedal, the vehicle failed to stop and accelerated. As a result, the contact crashed into a side walk damaging the tire, the radiator and the front end and of the vehicle. The contact did not sustained injuries. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic lot. The failure recurred twice. Vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 94,000.

- Powder Spring, GA, USA

Jan 142016

Equinox

Mileage= 110,000 miles.............first of all I just got the brakes done, when I first pull the car out of the garage in the morning, as I approach the first stop sign, I press the brakes, then it feels like there's air in the brake line, makes a sound as if some of the electronics are trying to reset or something, all while that's happening, I have to keep pumping the brakes for like just a few minutes, ultimately it goes away, totally scary because I live in a school zone, and on more than one occasion there were children at the crosswalk when the fault occurred, I don't know if GM is aware of this problem, think we're going to be switching to Ford vehicles from now on, this is totally not good! then on another occasion I missed the stop sign and had to drive over the curb because the brakes gave out, couldn't avoid it, had to go on the curb to stop, going about 20 miles an hour! it's been like this for about 4 months already, got the front driver side wheel hub/sensor replaced, but after a few days, the fault recurred, the ABS and the T/C light turn on, after reading similar stories I'm reluctant to put any more money into this problem, apparently, the " the pig-tail harness" fix seems to be the go-to method for the fix, will be doing that soon myself! please GM corporation do something before someone get's hurt!

- Wylie, TX, USA

Jun 082015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that there was water entering the map light. The contact also heard an abnormal noise in the rear of the vehicle, the suspension was unstable pertaining to the control arm, and the axle was leaking fluid without warning. The steering wheel also made a grinding noise when turned, the automatic transmision hesitated, the throttle was light, and it was difficult to reverse upon the change in weather. The vehicle was not repaired and the dealer was notified of the various failures. The manufacturer was notified of the failures and provided no remedy. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 201,765.

- Inkster, MI, USA

Jun 112014

Equinox

Sometime last summer started noticing issues with brakes. Replaced all parts involved with the entire brake system to no avail. Took it to two different mechanics, who also replaced the same parts thinking that maybe we had bought faulty parts. Again, the problem remained. The vehicle's brake system seems to grind when trying to brake. Not to mention, it feels as though the pedal itself pushes back against your foot. When it does this; there are no actual brakes. The vehicle continues to move forward until you pump the brakes more than a few times to get them to stop the vehicle. This is very scary! I have almost ran into many vehicles while attempting to stop. This problem should be addressed immediately as I am not the only one having this issue based on the hundreds of complaints I have read! I can no longer afford to keep putting money into this vehicle! something needs to be done!!! the date of occurrence is a guess, but I do know it began last summer.

- Camden, SC, USA

Sep 302015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while at a stop with the brake pedal depressed, the brake pedal was depressed and the engine revved as the vehicle independently accelerated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 177,000.

- Wellsville, NY, USA

Apr 082014

Equinox

The right front wheel brake began to lock up causing the vehicle to pull to the right. The ABS and traction control light came on. I had to have it replaced twice now. The electrical harness keeps falling off do the metal clip it hooks onto rusting. The wiring harness clip on the end where it connects to the hub is shot. The ABS light is constantly on.I've tried to clean it many times to no avail. I'm sick and tired of this problem. No matter what I do, it still causes problem. And I am a pa certified inspection mechanic. I've never seen such a poor brake system in my life. I have replaced the front rotors and brakes 4 times now, and probably will have to replace them again in August of this year, 2015 when my state inspection will be due. The joke of it all is that the rear brakes are still the original brakes and stand at the last inspection at 8/32. This tells me that the brake distribution equalizer is not working. All my stopping power is on the front brakes. My Equinox is 10 years old. Surely by now the rear brakes should have been replaced a few times. There is only 38,300 miles on this vehicle now and it looks like new. I take exceptionally good care of my vehicles. Every 3000 miles the oil and tires are rotated, and everything else is inspection by me. I was going to buy a 2015 Equinox, but was torn away by the delays of Chevrolet on these problems. In the end, these vehicles should be recalled and the entire ABS system should be completely re-examined and repaired. Finally after 3 years, I now got a new ignition and 2 new keys. Ya. thank you !!!!! if I have too, I will make a video on this, as I did the ignition switch and send it in. This is not the first time for the brakes its been happening for years and its on going.

- Wilkes Barre Twp, PA, USA

Apr 042015

Equinox

A loud pop occurred during operation of the vehicle at approximately 40 mph and then a noticeable change in the suspension was felt. In testing the vehicles ability to travel to a repair center the brake peddle would drop to the floor as if it lost compression. This occurred after carefully observing the troublesome behavior of the turning capabilities and suspension of the tires. It seemed to make an awful grinding noise when making right turns but not left turns. Previously before these problems arose, the apparent issue of the electrical system and its functioning parts(power doors, windows etc.) were malfunctioning, including the radio. At the initial purchase of the car the only seemingly harmless thing to mind was the sticking of the ignition switch at times. To date, the car is not able to reverse from parking position, and has a new issue of locking up totally and not able to engage forward. The car is not able to be driven and when searching for cheaper insurance (byvin) we were immediately, under no uncertain terms alerted that the car was unfit to be insured. This was told and sent in written form to us from a reputable insurance Agency.

- Hampton, GA, USA

Dec 022013

Equinox

Received vehicle upon my mothers passing. Had 45K on it, garaged and only in town driving. In just over year I have had to replace rear rocker joint, ac unit, front right speaker, front brakes and starter. Now, there is a water noise under hood and truck is starting to rock when at stop light. It is also trying to run hot but no lights, leaks or issue can be found. The back spoiler was loose http before then and leaks in the back. Lift gate hard to open and molding around front windshield is coming loose. I have 65K on this truck. There is no way this truck should have this many problems. I feel unsafe in this lightly used auto.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Aug 272014

Equinox

Vehicle brakes jam up and ABS and tc lights come on and stay on. Private mechanic replace left front wheel and hub ($140). Problem began again after a few days and now dealer says is wire harness. ($255) I noticed in the other postings this is a huge problem and apparently a defect. Why no recall? this vehicle is obviously not a well made vehicle.

- Corbin, KY, USA

Aug 282014

Equinox 6-cyl

My 2005 Equinox, I have only 80K miles on it, - key will not start ignition normal. Gets stuck and have to shake key forward for about 20+ minutes before it finally turns on. And when the car is on and running at any speed, the key will just come out of ignition. Map lights leak water when it rains. Car smells like mold. Fuel gauge always says empty and I get less than 16 mpg. Got in a car accident Apr 2014, seat belt did not lock when I was rear-ended, my face almost hit the radio (initial reason for my call to GM-Chevy line posted on their website today, looking for an answer as to why my ignition won't work properly and found out about faulty ignitions on my car) GM stated, after giving them my VIN that my car is not included in the recall!!! what's really going on"?!! after being accused of "blaming GM for my car problems", I asked for a supervisor and was hung up on. No joke. She also stated nhtsb was at fault. I'm sure they record all the calls. I ended up just calling the dealership and they scheduled my car for diagnostics for tue, 9/2/14. But they also told me that my vehicle is not included in the recall. Well.....I'll pull my key out to show them how easily the key just comes out at any position, and then when the tech tries to start my car and can't, and is stuck in their garage, will my car be added then GM?? ?!!! I have so many issues I could go on and I see that so many others have reported numerous times and this is what is done to us" now I'm angry and afraid.

- Ham Lake, MN, USA

Oct 102012

Equinox

Tried to come to a stop approaching an intersection, ABS pulsated at brake pedal. Brakes almost let my coast into the car ahead of me. Symptoms continue to this day after many repairs. Pulled ABS fuse to disable ABS to keep it from interfering with braking action.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Aug 032014

Equinox 6-cyl

While driving at various speeds, we experience severe resistance in the brake pedal, pedal would pulsate and then braking system would make a noise, but you could not stop unless you stood on the pedal with all you body weight. Then the ABS and traction control light would illuminate stating that the systems were disengaged and the braking system would work normally. Unfortunately, every time you start the car you experience the same thing, until the system disengages you cannot stop quickly. This happens at any speed. The dealership seems to have no solution to this problem.

- Macedonia, OH, USA

Jul 152009

Equinox 6-cyl

Front and back windows fog up and defrost does nothing. Visibility is severely limited and this creates very dangerous driving conditions. Nothing helps to alleviate the issue. I have tried wiping the windshield, cleaning it, alcohol, rain X, defrost, hot air, cold air, windows down, windows up, sunroof halfway open, doing back flips and nothing helps. Been happening for years. Had numerous repairs under warranty starting 3 months, 3,500 miles after I drove it off the lot in 2005 and have spent close to $8,500 on repairs after warranty expired at 50,000. Transmission dropped, A/C repaired 2X, solenoids & sensors replaced, windshield wiper leak, radiator replaced 2X, struts, calipers, now, amongst all the other issues I've had with this vehicle, the A/C-heat knob no longer turns, glove box lid just fell down one day B/C the latch suddenly broke, have to get my brake calipers & another wheel hub replaced for the 4th time, water still leaks through the map lights, I could go on.

- Spring, TX, USA

Jun 232014

Equinox 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the ABS and the traction control warning light continuously illuminated. The contact also mentioned that the brake pedal traveled to the floorboard when engaged and the emergency brake was needed to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that the ABS sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 146,645. Updated 9/4/14 updated 12/18/2014

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Sep 172012

Equinox 6-cyl

Water seeped in under sun roof, down front driver side roof pillar and then into car behind dashboard then dripped down into computer control device (where obdii unit hooks up) where it shorted out entire electrical system. I was going down a hill into town where speed is 45 mph and my sister in law was in car and we were heading to airport however engine just shut down. Brakes and steering became really much more difficult to control. We coasted to a stop and after 15 mins car started up but with significantly diminished power so I drove into a service station where car stayed for next 2-days. I discovered what shut car down when I started squirting water onto roof at a car wash and water started dripping down onto carpet flooring but first it seeped into computer control unit. I waited out drying of unit and then drove home and applied a lot caulk to sunroof where glass meet metal/rubber. Car exterior roof now looks terrible as caulk dried sort of a brown crud color (car is white) but no more (knock on wood) engine stalling when it rains or I go through a car wash. Makes me very nervous when on road and in rain.

- Silver City, NM, USA

Oct 232013

Equinox

At approximately 10-30 mph the cars ABS system engages on its own, both while stepping on the brake peddle and while just driving within that speed range. While trying to come to a stop, the ABS system will engage and will not allow me to stop safely. In one instance I had to yank on the emergency brake and drop the car to a lower get just to avoid hitting the car in front of me. The system will keep engaging until the system times itself out. Then the ABS and tc lights on the dashboard illuminate. I am approximate $1500 into this issue at the dealership and still no solution. I have taken the car to my local Chevy dealer and they can't seem to figure out the problem. They have replaced the cars fl hub assembly, multiple speed sensors, and the E.B.C.M. through changing all thing parts still no success. The car is currently there now for further diagnosing.

- Concord, CA, USA

Jun 072014

Equinox

This is my second time reporting a complaint about our 2005 Equinox. The ABS and tc, traction control lights are coming on and our anti lock brake system is engaging in and out, and then disengaging totally leaving us with no anti lock brakes.we had new brakes and rotors put on in Oct of 2013, plus a battery. My husband has a pa. State inspection mechanics license. So he went to the garage to check the brakes along with another state inspection mechanic. They took the wheels off and the front hubs for the ABS are bad this vehicle only has 34,790 miles on it to date. Plus this will be the 5th set of front brakes and rotors that have to be replaced again.. and now, the ABS system, or hubs. What ever is found when it gets taken apart. " nice " here we go again !!!

- Wilkes Barre Twp, PA, USA

Sep 232010

Equinox

I to own a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox which I purchased brand new, with only 34,400 miles on it to date. Our car is very well taken care of and it looks as good as the day we took it off the car lot. I have the same problem with my car, you could remove the key without turning the ignition off and the motor is still running, also around the ignition there is metal shavings.I now have worn out the second key and the ignition does not lock and when it does you cannot open it to start. So, I made a mark on the ignition where to turn the key off so I can start it the next time.the vehicle's both remotes do not work. I paid $65 for a new one at the dealership and now it does not work all the time. I lock the doors then, they won't open we have to use the key and hurry up to start the vehicle before the alarm goes off.I to had to replace the battery, but I chalk that up to age, also 4 sets of front brakes and rotors, 4 sets of tires and my vehicle only has 34,400 miles on it. Being a pa. State inspection mechanie I concurr there is a problem with the ingnition switch and in my opinion a possible defect in the front braking system.I hope GM looks into the problem...updated 06/09/14 updated 06/11/2014

- Wilkes Barre, PA, USA

Oct 052013

Equinox 6-cyl

Experienced ABS brakes kicking in at very low speeds (10 miles or less). Brought into dealer who replaced front two wheel sensors. Worked fine for 2 months and it started to happen again. Only this time, the truck was not stopping suddenly and almost caused numerous accidents. Brought into dealer a second time who had the truck for 3 days only to tell me they found nothing wrong. I brought the truck to another mechanic who replaced my front drivers side wheel bearing. Drove home from there with the same problem. Truck was brought to a 3rd and 4th mechanic who both admitted that there was a problem but nothing was being identified when scanned. Called Chevy who contacted the original dealer. We played phone tag for several days with no final response. The truck has not been driven for 2 months as I'm concerned for my safety and others after many near misses. Was even pulled over by an officer who escorted me home. I cant continue to dump money into this vehicle that is almost 10 years old. I also cant understand why this has not been investigated when there are numerous complaints for the same thing through your website and a number of others. Literally thousands of complaints. Funny though that the recent Malibu recall is having somewhat similar issues as I started to lose my taillights on a regular basis at the same time the ABS system started acting up. Could just be a coincidence but should still be investigated just based on the number of complaints and the trial and error fixes we are all receiving.

- Kenmore, NY, USA