4.2

2005 Chevrolet Equinox drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Equinox:

2005 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments

Jan 232009

Equinox

My 2005 Chevrolet Equinox starting making a loud grinding noise when I had just gotten off of the interstate and was applying the brakes and turning. It felt like something was locked from the middle of my car to the back of my car. I was totally caught off guard and was very shaken. I stopped and looked at my tires and to see if anything was hanging down from the car. I couldn't see anything that was obvious. It was 9:00am. I was approximately 2 miles from a Chevrolet dealership so I drove there. I was scared and shaken and didn't know if this problem was going to cause me to have a wreck or possibly be stranded. When I got to the dealership, a gentleman in the service department went for a drive with me. My car didn't make the loud grinding, but only a little. He said the service department would take off all 4 wheels and check the brakes. My husband left work to pick me up as this was not going to be done before lunch. The dealership contacted me at work and said it was not the brakes, but it was probably the rear differential, but he wanted to make sure and he would call me after lunch. He asked if I had an extended warranty on the car, I said no, but this should not happen to a 3 year old vehicle that was bought brand new. He agreed. My warranty expired 5 months today, January 24th and my mileage is past the warranty by 1,424 miles. My car has 37,700 miles on it. My husband owns a 1996 Chevy S10 pickup with over 200,00 miles on it and nothing this major has ever happened with his truck. I contacted General Motors and spoke with a representative. He said he would build a business case document to present to GM board for review. I think GM should pay for expenses to have the dealership replace the rear differential. I made a pun comment that since this cost was around $2400 that I wanted GM to bail me out, compared to the billions they just received from american taxpayers. GM success depends customer satisfaction. Again my car only has 37,700 miles on it.

- St. Joseph, MO, USA

Aug 112008

Equinox

Driving under normal conditions I've experienced two failed front wheel bearings on driver side causing vehicle to vibrate, Chevy garage replaced under warranty now upon getting vehicle inspected it was discovered that carrier bushing that connects front driveshaft to rear driveshaft has failed which could cause driveshafts to fall off. Car is a 2005 Chevy Equinox with 35,000 miles on it, I feel GM should recall these vehicles and check these problems out before drivers have a serious accident. People are not reporting these failed components because garages are fixing under warranty so it doesn't get reported to you. I feel these components are defective right from factory so there should be a recall, thank you

- Conesus, NY, USA

May 142005

Equinox 6-cyl

The contact stated on May 14, 2005 the vehicle was taken to the dealership for scheduled maintenance, and to check on a noise they could hear coming from the front of the vehicle. The technicians were unable to duplicate the problem. On September 19 2005 the vehicle was taken back to the dealership to find out what was causing this noise. A technician test drove the vehicle and heard the noise, and determined it was the front struts that needed to be replaced. Repairs were made to the vehicle. After the repairs the vehicle was still experiencing the same noise problems. The vehicle was taken back on a third occasion O on October 14, 2005. This time they replaced the clutch drum module, the filters, and the power train drive line was lubricated. The vehicle was driven home and it experienced the same problem as before. The vehicle was taken back to the dealership, and they were unable to duplicate the problem.

- Galt , CA, USA