2005 Chevrolet Equinox electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Equinox:

2005 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

Oct 082007

Equinox 6-cyl

Oct 8, was in class for 30 minutes came out car was dead, everything worked but started just clicked. Called roadside assistance.. took too long; called campus security got a jump start, car drove fine died again until Oct 13. Jump started again, Oct 18 died again, called roadside assistance had it towed to herb adcox Chevy. They still have it and say it is running diagnostic problems showing on computer. Filed an issue with 800chevusa.... they say even though I have an extended warranty(car still in original warranty now) that this issue may not be covered. The car is only two years old I am the original owner. Chevy cannot find any problems so I am stuck wondering when it will die again. I also reported noxious fumes (smells like rancid butter)most likely from antifreeze problem like other 2005 Equinox's and a brake shimmy problem at highway speeds(entire car seems unstable). This is the last Chevy I will ever buy. I hate to even trade it in and give the issues to someone else. This is wrong. I believe Chevy is aware of these issues and doing nothing to recall or repair them. I was told if there is no diagnostic there is no problem.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Nov 152006

Where do I begin I bought a Chevy Equinox 2005 brand new and have had numerous problems!! the main problem is the check engine light. It continuosly comes on and when I take it to the dearlership they never seem to be able to actually fix the correct problem. I have replaced a headgasket, thermostat, internal gasket, front roters and brakes, dealership states that I need new front roters and brakes again it hasn't even been 1 year since the first set. I've had new shock plugs and a coil put in, etc. This all started last Nov. With the check engine light and still is having problems. I am so frustrated with this car. I thought that with buying a brand new car I wouldn't have all of these problems. I'm afraid to travel with it because it is so unreliable!!!

- Morgantown, WV, USA

Mar 162007

Equinox 6-cyl

I always parked car in a garage, but this day no spots were open so I parked on the street and went to work. About a 1/2 hour later I looked the window and noticed smoke coming from the back of the car. I ran out to see what the problem was, and saw fire on the back bumper area on the driver's side. Someone called the fire department. While I grabbed a few things out of the inside of the car. The fire department T came and eventually put out the fire. I have never known a car to spontaneously combustion before, and it was a very traumatic experience. The car was destroyed between the fire, smoke and water, and declared totaled by the insurance company. The origin of the fire appeared to be in the tail light section and to be electrical in nature. I did not have any prior problems with the car, and it was equipped as originally leased from the dealer. It was only two years old and still under the warranty. Thankfully, no one was hurt/killed this time. I believe this car was defective and posed a very real danger to my family as well as my coworkers. The manufacturer was extremely uncooperative in discussing the problem - with not even a 'sorry you are having trouble with one of our products' line as I wanted to be reimbursed for the deductible that I will have to give the insurance company.

- Valley Stream, NY, USA

Mar 312007

My driver side window will not go up or down, it just failed completely. The dealership advised that the wires inside the door are completely broken. The system needed to fix it is back ordered so I have to wait to have it replaced. Four days later my brakes became the new problem. On my way to school, I was approaching a stop light and began applying the brakes but the car would not stop. It made a vibrating noise and thrust itself forward. It wasn't a grinding sound but clicks and vibration. Luckily there wasn't anyone in front of me or coming from the opposite direction. I thought it something I did and continued driving carefully. At the next stop I was unable to slow down to make a right hand turn. I passed the turn completely before the car slowed enough to turn. This scared me so I pulled over and called for help. After taking a test drive with a car repair person who informed me it wasn't my brake pads or rotors. He said it sounded like my anti-lock system failing and I should call the dealership. I called the dealership and they said to bring it in. GM roadside assistance towed it. That was Saturday and today is Monday, the dealership worker told me she drove it and she has been driving for 12 years and she didn't have a problem with the brakes but they will put it on the electric diagnostic machine to double check it. I am afraid to drive with my children. The fact that the car may not stop or the brakes may fail at any time is scary. I should hear from them by this evening.

- Southington, CT, USA

Mar 122007

Equinox 6-cyl

Attempted to start vehicle after being driven approximately 2-3 miles. Clicking sound happens each time (approx 15) and engine struggles to engage. Dealer has inspected and could not duplicate problem.

- North Tonawanda, NY, USA

Nov 302005

Map light leaks, filled with water rotors replaced at 12,000 miles electrical failure in hot weather popping and rattling noise front end stereo speaker intermittent buzzing noise when radio not on time display doesn't always light up not notified of product emission recall by manufacturer.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Nov 272004

Equinox 4-cyl

Water was leaking into cab of vehicle and into trunk. Water leak iwas in front dome light, and it leaked twice. The middle dome light leaked once, and the trunk has had a big bucket of water removed from it. Dealer tried to fix leak, but it still leaks. Caller was told not to park under trees. Manufacturer said they would call dealer, and told caller to keep sun, roof closed and that there was debris in sun roof. Caller stated she was concerned about water in the electrical system. And that more damage can be caused.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA