2005 Chevrolet Equinox electrical problems: engine turns over but will not start

Engine Turns Over But Will Not Start

2005 Chevrolet Equinox

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

8.8

2. new battery (1 reports)
  3. pull out the fuse that supplies power to radio (1 reports)
  4. replaced delco front post battery w/ top mount (1 reports)
  5. used dealership said key was bad, so anti-theft systemdown (1 reports)
2005 Chevrolet Equinox electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Equinox:

ERROR -- [ CarComplaints.com ]

There's been an error - Database connection not made: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

Please click your browser's Back button to try again.

2005 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments

Oct 122013

Equinox

Was at the drive-in with my sons and could not shut the lights off so I had to keep it on partly enough to have the radio on. My battery died after being less than a year old. I had to purchase a new one through triple A

- , Berlin, CT, USA

Jul 212013

Equinox LX V6

had to replace 2 ignition switches. Had to have the car towed both times. Was in WV at a baseball game when the ignition switch wouldn't "catch". Finally got the car started and came back to VA. Not long after had to have ANOTHER switch installed..I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have the time and especially the money to keep repairing this. Had my 2 year old grandson the first time it happened. what a crock

- , waynesboro, VA, USA

Nov 082013

Equinox LT 3.2lV6

My problem is also the occasional lack of starting. It would turn over, turn over, then not catch. I'd wait a few minutes, put the car in neutral, rock it a bit and it would start. Then, it would be fine for a year.

This past Friday, I was on the way to my mother's WAKE/FUNERAL, stopped for items for the wake service, car wouldn't start in parking lot. Oh my God GMC! I understand that batteries, parts have limited lives, but it had a new battery in 2008. Jumping Jimny. My own Mother's wake .. and I'm late, trying to call for rides, etc. I have 2 sons with handicaps and a third child in the vehicle and it's cold here in Illinois this week. Jump starts only produced a very weak turnover. Then click, click, click, click. I just had the vehicle serviced a week ago .. oil change, fluid checks, battery check and all was well. What the HECK?? So much inconvenience and trauma.

Got thru Mom's funeral and put a lot of people out helping get the kids home, etc. I called the police to make sure they don't tow it, verified funeral data, etc. Got a tow truck on the holiday weekend and which charged me $190.00 for a 4 mile tow. Now, it sits in the auto repair waiting for them to open after the holiday. I will surely let you know what I'm told at the repair shop. The driver thought it was the battery. But, who knows.

I must also add that there is probably an electrical gnome in this vehicle. It does weird things all the time. Lights come on for no apparent reason. Radio will go on, clock will reset. I suppose those were my clues that this vehicle has a problem electrical system. Now, from reading the forums, I guess it's true. Reading that GMC is aware of these problems and letting these vehicles be sold? Oh man. I don't know how y'all sleep at night. What the final cost is will be reported. Thanks for the gripe forum. I feel much better. lol

- , Justice, IL, USA

Oct 202012

Equinox LS

this POS seems possesed starts when it wants, can take out key while running and stays on, some times starts with no problem others have to wait hours , then it will work no one seem to know what the problem is

- , Seaville, NJ, USA

Jun 202012

Equinox 3.2L V6

Driving down the interstate with the wife and kids when suddenly, my the vehicle lurches forward. It was raining and I thought we had started hydroplaning so I let off the gas, shortly after doing this my gauges all hit zero. They came back on briefly but then died again. I pulled over and could not get the engine to start again. It was turning over but no ignition would occur. I pop the hood to only to see the main fuse box bellowing smoke looking like it may catch fire, I ended up leaving the hood open and letting the rain hit it. I figured this was better than it actually catching fire with the family in the vehicle. About 10 minutes or so later the car turns over by itself while we're waiting for our ride and the keys weren't even in the ignition. It never started of course but still this was a little freaky at the very least. It stopped trying to start after about 20 minutes of that and then all my dash lights would flicker on and off randomly. All electrical components in the car were still operational (radio, windows, wipers, lights, etc..) but the key wasn't in the ignition. I've searched the web for similar issues only to find nothing. Glad I found this site so at least I can get the word out. I used to be a die hard Chevy fan.....needless to say, I'm going to buy another Hyundai (own a 2 door tiburon as well, never any issues). The Equinox is a sad excuse for a family SUV/Crossover no wonder they only made them for a few years....they're crap!

- , Council Bluffs, IA, USA

Apr 032012

Equinox

It is clear that chevy knowingly knew about electrical defects but still put them on the market. I think those who have similar issues come together and take legal action against chevy.

- , Moncton, NB, canada

Jan 042011

Equinox ES V6

Continuous problem . . . bought the car in 2005 and (sporadic starts) have been a problem shortly after the warranty expired!

- , Bear, DE, USA

Nov 252009

Equinox

I am having a problem with my 05 Equinox starting. It clicks really bad when you go to try and start it. I have had the throttle body cleaned, the connections cleaned, fuel pump replaced, a new battery installed, throttle position sensor reprogrammed twice and the powertrain control module replaced. Yet, it still does this clicking thing and won't start 90% of the time. They cannot figure out what is wrong with it. I have had it to 3 dealerships and they have no clue. When it clicked before, you could give it gas and it would start right up. Now it just clicks and won't start for about 30 minutes or so. Sometimes it won't even start at all. I have noticed that it does this more in damp weather than in hot weather but now it is doing it just as bad regardless of the weather. Is anyone else having this same problem?

- , Arnett, WV, USA

Nov 012009

Equinox LT V6

Car just won't start. It seems to be an electrical thing, but each time I bring it for repair it works

- , South Boston, MA, USA

Jun 172009

Equinox LS

I have had similar issues with the vehicle not wanting to start after listening to the radio for 10+ minuites. I noticed a fluid leak from the front posts on the DELCO battery. I have since extended the cables and put SAE posts on them. I replace the battery with a group 68 with 800CCA and has provided sufficient crank. Hopefully this will help some of you

- , Hampstead, NC, USA

Aug 132006

Equinox LS V6

This is the first of about 6 instances for this problem. If you listen to the radio for more than 15 minutes with the key in the accessory position the car will not start. It acts like the battery is dead. You can roll the windows up and down along with open and close the sunroof. The dash and the radio is completely dead with the exception of the engine light being on. To get the car started all you have to do is hook up a donor vehicle with a set of jumper cables. You don't even have to wait usually. I mean hit the key seconds after connection and it starts! It has been back to the dealership a number of times and they can not seem to find the problem. I had them send a service tech to my house one time while the POS was dead in the drive way. Guess what he said "I have Never scene that before". Well thanks Einstein how about fixing it! Needless to say it is out of warranty and has never been fixed. I had a parts store friend of mine who is a darn good mechanic suggest maybe it had to do with the radio. I have got the premium option radio with the XM. I have had it replaced 3 time in the warranty period for malfunctions!

- , Dalzell, IL, USA

Mar 022009

Equinox

We bought this car on Saturday, and Monday morning it failed to start. Used dealership stated that the key was bad, so the anti-theft system shut the car down, and needed to reprogram the key. Sounded fishy, so thank God for this site, because I see similar complaints. I will return the vehicle and get something else. Brakes were squeaky and front end a little rattly but paid not attention. Once again, thank God for this site and the web because the brakes and electrical are major complaints listed here. No more doubting. Thank you for saving me time and money.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jun 212007

Equinox LS

Several months prior to the actual date it decided to die on me, the POS had been hesitating to start and the check engine light and security light would light up and stay on. When I turned the key sometimes it wouldn't even turnover or make any noise to indicate that it was doing anything. I could even take the key out of the ignition while the vehicle was running. So I took it to the worthless Chevrolet dealership that I got it from to have the problem resolved. The dealership contacted me and told me that they could not find a problem with the vehicle. When I went to pick up the POS from the worthless Chevrolet dealership I informed the dealer that I would be returning with the vehicle again for the problem that they said did not exist. Sure enough I took the POS back to the worthless Chevrolet dealership and the dealer told me that it was the key I was using that was causing the problem. Funny thing is, the key that I gave the dealer was the spare key and the one that I had been using was fine. When I returned to pick the POS up I told him to keep the spare key that he claimed was causing the problem and I assured him again that I would be returning. When I returned again with the POS, I let the dealer know that the dealer I was dealing with before told me that they key I was using was causing the problem, but I told him to keep it and the POS was still doing the same thing. They still didn't find a problem with it. After a month or more of going through this the POS decided it wasn't going to start at all. I had worked the overnight shift and was ready to go home. When I got to the POS and tried to start it, it would not start. I then sat there thinking that it would eventually start. My father being the caring man that he is came and sat with me while I continuously called the warranty company who had a recording that stated they opened at 8am and I began calling them at 8am, and I listened to the same recording for almost an hour. When I finally got in touch with someone at the warranty company they sent a tow truck to get the POS and take it to the dealership. When the dealership claimed to have fixed the POS and told me that I could come pick it up. Well I drove it for about several weeks and I got stranded yet again and this time I was at a restaurant. By this time the extended warranty had ran out. So I had to sit and wait for roadside assistance to come and tow it to the dealership. This time when I got the POS back, they had got the check engine light and security light to stay off, so I thought. Well currently my vehicle still hesitates to start and the check engine light remains on again and occasionally the security light would come one while I am driving it. This is just one of the many problems that I am having with this POS.

- , Middletown, DE, USA

Dec 272006

Equinox LT .34

CALLED AGAIN AS I WAS SKED TO BY GM LINK TO CAC 1-866-790-5700,STILL NO ONE THERE OF REASONABLE INTELLIGENCE IN AUTO REPAIR TO ASSIST. STILL NO RESPONSE TO MY PREVIOUS 6 REQUEST ON THIS VEHICLE..

- , Dorchester, MA, USA

Oct 222007

Equinox LX V6

CAR DIED OCT 8 CALLED ROADSIDE TOOK TOO LONG FOR SVC CALLED CAMPUS SECURITY GOT A JUMP...DIED AGAIN OCT 13..JUMPED AGAIN; DIED THIRD TIME(CHARM) OCT 19 CALLED ROADSIDE TO COME GET THE POS! IT IS STILL WITH CHEVY NO DIAGNOSTIC PROBLEMS.

SO IT ALL MUST BE IN MY HEAD AS I LOVE TO BE WITHOUT A VEHICLE FOR MORE THAN A WEEK WITHOUT ANY ANSWERS!

FILED COMPLAINT WITH NHTA...FILED A DEFECT ODI. FOUND 182 COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE SAME THING. CHEVY ACTS LIKE THEY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS. FILED COMPLAINT WITH 800CHEVUSA THE LADY ACTUALLY TOLD ME THIS MAY KEEP HAPPENING AND MY EXTD WARRANTY MAY NOT COVER IT...OH HELL TO THE NO LADY. THERE IS ALSO THE FUNK OF RANCID BUTTER BEING (COOLANT ISSUES)A CONSISTENT EQUINOX PROBLEM CHEVY ALSO CHOOSES TO IGNORE...NOT TO MENTION ABS(BRAKES) FAILURES/SHIMMYS LIKE YOU'RE DRIVING 110 ON ROCKS ALSO REPORTED AS DEFECTS ON THE NHTA SITE....STILL NO RECALL OR ACKNOWLEDGEMENT FROM CHEVY THIS IS THE 2ND NEW CHEVY I HAVE PURCHASED(THE FIRST I HAD NO ISSUES WITH) BUT THIS WILL BE THE LAST.

WHAT A SHAME TO NOT TRUST AMERICAN PRODUCTS OR SERVICE ANYMORE. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE. I AM GOING TO KEEP ON FIGHTING TIL THIS BUY THIS POS BACK!! ALREADY CONTACT LEMON LAWYER AS OTHER CHEVY EQUINOXS HAVE BEEN BOUGHT BACK AS WELL. I FIND IT HARD TO IMAGINE THAT WITH ALL OF THE COMPLAINTS TO THE FEDS THAT CHEVY ACTS LIKE THIS IS A NEW ISSUE. WHAT A POS! I HOPE PEOPLE WILL READ THIS AND RUN LIKE HELL FROM ANY CHEVY VEHICLES! It's no wonder GM is having issues!

- , Chattanooga, TN, USA