2005 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems: head gaskets blew

Head Gaskets Blew

2005 Chevrolet Equinox (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

9.3

$2,184.00

1. replace blown gaskets (16 reports)
  2. installed redesigned head gaskets (5 reports)
  4. new engine (2 reports)
2005 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Equinox:

2005 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 142014

Equinox LS V6

So apparently everyone has had problems with the head gaskets in these vehicles and I think that GM should reimburse everyone that has had to pay for this. Give me a break as if you don't recall this huge mess. I will never buy one of these cars again it is complete bullshit and this company needs to pay for their mistakes.

- , Manchester, Maine, USA

Dec 042013

Equinox LS 6 Cyc

I serviced my vehicle and one day the engine started to make noise, the engine overheated and I could not drive the car anymore.

- , Gresham, Portland, USA

Oct 222013

Equinox LT V6

MY CAR STARED OVERHEATING. I CHECKED THE FLUIDS AND IT APPEARS THAT I DIDN'T HAVE ANY ANTI-FREEZE. SO I PUT SOME IN THE CAR AND IT STARTING OVERHEATING AGAIN. I CHECKED AND THE ANTI-FREEZE WAS GONE AGAIN SO I SAID, WAIT A MIN LET ME CHECK THE OIL AND SURE ENOUGH THE ANTI-FREE WAS MIXING WITH THE OIL. THAT'S ONE SIGN TO KNOW THAT YOUR HEADS ARE BLOWN.

THE TECH TOOK APART THE HEADS AND I FOUND OUT THAT ONE OF THE CYLINDER HEADS IS CRACK. I WILL GET BACK TO YOU TO SEE IF THE WARRANTY PEOPLE FIX THE PROBLEM.

- , Staten Island, NY, USA

Nov 122012

Equinox

UPDATE!!! Blew my head gasket AGAIN! Scariest experience ever. The car was overheating and stalling if we slowed the car down, coolant spewing all over the road...Managed to get the car to Chevy dealership, found out a few hours later the head gasket had blown for a second time. This was a breaking point for me. From July until Nov 11, I spent $5,000 trying to fix this sinking ship. I had a tune up, a leak in my exhaust system that needed to be replaced, sticky brakes (which took Chevy a few months to diagnose) which explained the shaking of the steering wheel and the car not wanting to accelerate. Apparently my car thought I was applying the breaks while I was trying to accelerate which would cause the car to shake violently and struggle to accelerate (very dangerous getting on highways!). It took multiple visits to Chevy before they experienced what I was telling them, the computer they had hooked up to my car finally figured out the problem...then 6 weeks later the head gasket blew. So I had no choice but to fix it and then went right to Hyundai and bought a Certified Pre-Owned 2011 Hyundai Sonata. I love my new car. I will NEVER BUY A CHEVY AGAIN! I'm hoping my Sonata will be a better car than the Equinox was. Time will tell! I still see Equinoxes on the road, and all I want to do is tell the owners to get rid of them before they become a nightmare. I still think it's a nice looking SUV, but I remind myself of how the last 2 years of owning that car was a disaster and a money pit. So please get rid of your Chevy Equinox...that's the best advice I can give you. I wish I had gotten rid of mine 2 years earlier than I did.

- , Westhampton, NY, USA

Nov 232011

Equinox

Brought my car in a few days before Thanksgiving, got a loaner car (thank God!) and I understood that because of the holiday that they would have it for a few extra days. Well, I got it back a few days before Christmas. My head gasket had blown and they were having trouble getting the part. Plus they mentioned that another Equinox was ahead of mine to be fixed for the same problem. I should have picked up on that, but it didn't set off any alarm bells. So needless to say I was not happy that it took so long to fix my car since they kept saying it would be ready tomorrow, and tomorrow took 23 days. It ended up costing me around $2000. Now my car is acting up again, and the dealership said maybe its the gasket again! I brought it in the other day and they found nothing wrong with it other than a valve update..but after driving it around, I'm still having acceleration problems where the car doesn't want to pick up speed and kind of makes a vibrating/grinding noise. But it doesn't always do it, which is why they cant fix it. I'm taking it in again tomorrow and hoping they figure it out. I love this car and i haven't had too many problems with it, but now i am rethinking my decision to keep it and get a different car. Probably wont buy a chevy again.

- , Westhampton, NY, USA

Jul 272012

Equinox

I just found out after having the water pump replaced, new thermostat installed, new spark plugs, normal oil changes, and air conditioner recharged, that the head gaskets blew! Even my mechanic said it was ridiculous on a car of only 58000 miles, 7 years old, and bought brand new off the lot in 2005. I am tired of being so worried every time I try to start up the stupid thing but I am getting the work done on it because I am not ready to make car payments again. I wish when all the problems started I would have consulted this website because everyone's complaints are exactly what I have went thru! I would love to have Chevy compensate the 2005 Equinox owners- I will definitely not buy another Chevy.

- , Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

May 012010

Equinox

At least I'm not alone as soon as the stupid car hit 75,000 miles the head gasket blew, among several other problems!!! Never agian will i own a chevrolet equinox!

- , Richlands, NC, USA

Dec 162011

Equinox LT 3.4L V6

Started missing, and consumed most of the coolant within a few miles. Made it home, and refilled radiator checked for bubbles. This car is terribly built, and has been nothing but problems.

- , Davison, MI, USA

May 042008

Equinox LT 3.4L

I purchased a 2005 Chevy Equinox in May 2006 with just under 26k miles on it. It was the only used Equinox on the lot that did not come "certified" I should have know right then something was wrong. I also should have wondered why the vehicle was almost five grand less than all other comparable vehicles. I assumed I was just in the right place at the right time and signed on the dotted line. That was my first mistake. The problems began immediately, with the suspension, the sounds, the cooling system, the list goes on and on. The real problem has been the engine. In 2008 with less than 50k miles on it the head gasket blew. GM refused to do anything, because of course my warranty was over and it was not a certified used car with the extended warranty they were not liable. So I paid over two grand and had it repaired. A year later with 80ish thousand miles head gasket blew again, I called GM again, of course to be told there is nothing they can or will do, paid another two grand and had the vehicle repaired again. Yesterday 1/4/2012 while driving down the highway with my three daughters in the car, my car started smoking out the tailpipe so bad I couldn't see anything behind me, my car eventually died in the middle of the highway. I have since learned my head gasket has again blown. I of course called GM, to speak to a foreign person in another country and be told, GM has no recourse and there is no recall involving my VIN. I have read and read and read about the consumer complaints on this vehicle, it is clear I purchased a lemon, quite honestly after everything I have read I'm not sure if the problem is the motor, the coolant, the gaskets or what, but I am sure that this vehicle was manufactured by General Motors Corporation and they refuse to stand behind their product. I have spent over ten thousand dollars on repairing this vehicle and read about hundreds of other people in the same situation with the same vehicle. It is not fair that GM takes no responsibility for the faulty equipment/motor/gaskets what ever it is in this model of vehicle. I have been a loyal GM customer, as family has as well, and I will never purchase another GM product again

- , Leawood, KS, USA

Apr 142010

Equinox V6

I was one that also stayed on top of my Oil Changes so when this happen to me I was like how. I did everything right to avoid this. At the same time I had to replace the value that is the brain of the Equinox, that I think should have been a recall by Chevy. I am now at 125,000 miles sometimes I don't feel safe in my car. My car also gave me a lot of problems early into my purchase and I just thought I had a LEMON. Of course every time I took it to the Dealership they could not find anything wrong with it. I really think that Chevy should recall the Equinox for this problem and repay all of us our hard earn money. Never have I heard of anyone replace Head Gaskets on a car that is well cared for and you are still paying a Monthly Note on. SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE for all of the pain and money that owners of CHEVY EQUINOX has gone through. I had no idea until I was looking around for RECALLS on the Chevy Equinox that I just decided to open this website and saw that so many people went through the same problem that I did.

- , Missouri, TX, USA

May 092011

Equinox LT 3.4L V6

It's nice to know I'm not alone, but I'm sorry so many others have had the same problem. It cost me $1,440 to replace the blown gaskets. And if you like banging your head against a wall, you'll love Chevy's "customer service."

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA

Aug 012010

Equinox LS 3.2L V6

I have not been able to use my car since the head gasket blew. I don't have the money available. GM will not do anything to assist me. I really liked the car, not having any real problems with it, just the usual maintenance. The fact that GM does not stand behind its product is just disgusting. And, to add insult to injury, I am still paying on the car! I hope either GM steps up (highly doubtful) or someone starts a class action suit. I will be totally in support of it.

- , Brewster, NY, USA

Jun 012011

Equinox LT 3.4L

Always up to date on routine maintenance. Blown head gasket....enough said.

- , Westerville, OH, USA

Aug 122011

Equinox LS V6

I haven't had a problem with my car until Friday when I noticed my car making a strange noise when I turned on my car I started to drive to a local Target where my care started to over heat. All of a sudden the light went on. I thought things were ok when it started overheating again on Monday and again yesterday. I was putting fluids in my car everyday!!! My mechanic checked my car out and the head gaskets blew. I had no indication that my car was having problems. My mechanic said it would be about $1,000!!!! If my car had indication that there was a severe problem I would have fixed it before it would of gotten to this extreme!!! I've been reading similar complaints on the same problem, Chevy should have a recall!!!

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Apr 172011

Equinox

I too have a blown head gasket. As mentioned in other posts, I had no indication either that soemthing was wrong. My transmission went from cool to hot in seconds. No warning at all. I also had scheduled oil changes and had just had one 2 weeks prior.

- , West Jefferson, OH, USA

Jul 092010

Equinox LS 3.4L

I want to get this out there that I also had a problem with head gaskets because maybe if there is enough complaints they will either reimburse the money paid or start doing some recalls... From what i've read it is a very serious problem with the head gaskets in 2005 Equinox's.....I bought this vehicle because I had a child and my other car was not dependable, well this one isn't either because it has stranded me several times, with my son in the car with me....My fiance happened to be the one driving the car when the head gaskets went, good thing because I freaked out and was gonna jump out of the car with my son because I thought it was on fire. We had absolutely no warning that anything was wrong, the manual states the car should have given several warnings before something like this happens and we got no warning. We went to superwalmart, which is 15 miles from home, and when we got in the car to leave that is when we started having problems, like I said no warning at all.

I'm basically a single parent and I have put so much money into this lemon I wished I would have kept my car and just put the money into that because every year that i've owned this equinox i've put over 1000.00 into it....MY CAR WAS PAID FOR THIS IS NOT! I guess there is a sucker born every day but I'm tired of being the sucker....

I'd like chevy to give me some compensation for the grief that this vehicle has caused me. I went almost a month without my car while the head gaskets were being fixed and I had to drive this 70's model truck with my son in it because I had not other option. I think alot more people need to file complaints. I've made copies of all my service records, printed complaints off the computer and i'm gonna send to chevy and pray that they will have some kind of heart and reimburse me something....This is not the only problem that i've had and for a vehicle that doesn't have 70,000 miles on it I should be having no problems.

- , Theresa, NY, USA

Apr 072011

Equinox LS

Bought this car used in 2008 with 25,000 miles on it. It now has 80,000 miles on it. I did all the things your supposed to do with a car - oil changes, radiator flushes etc... noticed white smoke coming out of the tail pipe... yup blown head gasket, you got to be kidding me

We were dumb struck. A blown head gasket on a 2005? So we started researching found this site and now we have become (blown)AWAY at how many other people are going through the same thing. Shame on this company for skirting this issue and we look around and wonder whats wrong with this country. It's this type of attitude from companies that don't car. They suck you in and spit you out. Shame on gm and others like them. Oh by the way, we called gm & got the run around. Sound familiar?

- , Tobyhanna, PA, USA

Mar 142011

Equinox LX V6

DON"T BUY THIS VEHICLE!!!! IT'S a piece of JUNK!!!! We bought this vehicle used from a dealership.It only had one original owner.We did the car fax ect...thinking we were upgrading to a nice car.The car only had 48,000miles.That was less than two years ago,and we have had nothing but problems ever since!! Power window wire broken,wheel bearing needed replaced, and now BLOWN HEAD GASKETS AND CRACKED HEADS at 76,000 miles!!!You work hard for your money and you think you can buy a car that will last you for years, and then this! I hate this CAR!! But, I'm stuck with it.GM should stand by their products and fix these problems.To bad, I didn't come across this website sooner.I never would of bought this vehicle!

- , Dalmatia, PA, USA

Jan 312011

Equinox

We're not even done paying for this vehicle and we have so many issues with it. The car began to overheat and we notice the antifreeze needed to be replaced every other day, which of course lets us know there is a problem. I go online and find so many complaint and issues with the same vehicle... Shouldn't there have been a recall w/this automobile if there are so many complaints about it!!! Now we have blown gaskets and we might have to replace the engine,this is going to cost about $2000. This sucks! The maker of this vehicle should be responsible for the costs of repair to my car as they didn't obviously make a well worth driving automobile.

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 052011

Equinox LT 4.3L V6

We bought this car used from Neemer Auto in Bennington. Not one word was mentioned by the salesman about the problems that exist with the head gasket in this year and model. After the problem and i got an estimate, i checked the internet and without even trying hard i found several of this exact year with the same problem! I called G.M. after i was told basically to go screw myself by Neemer, G.M. told me there was nothing they could do since basically i had it diagnosed at a Midas shop. I told G.M. fine i will have the car towed to neemer so they can confirm the problem but that i wanted G.M. to pay for it. I was told that i would have to pay for it. So i have a car that is basically useless that i am paying 200.00 a month for.If any one else has this problem let me know i will find a lawyer. We as a public helped bail out G.M. we deserve better then this.someone will pay for this repair be it G.M. or Neemer.

- , North Bennington, VT, USA