2005 Chevrolet Equinox steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Equinox:

2005 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 062016

Driving down street while attempting to turn left heard loud pop and then wasn't able to turn and crashed into tree left fender hood headlight all pushed damage to tire and on top of that airbag didn't implore and hit head on the post

- Lansing, MI, USA

Jul 042015

When inserting key into the ignition, the key has turn but not completely cranked becauce it would jam. This has happened very seldomly since 07/04/2015 appromimate milage at the moment of initial incident estimated at around 230,000 original miles.however the whole front wheels and steering column lock up sometimes at the turn of key. Steering column locks up and U cant turn the key almost likeit dont fit because its the wrong key. Keys can also be removed during operation. The vehicle can drive with no keys in the ignition and be then placed in park with still no keys in the ignition. The key once placed out park, easily slides in and out of ignition.

- Greenville, OH, USA

Apr 082014

When driving and hit the least little bump you can hear something toward lower right as if it was something to do with the steering like something from the steer wheel up under neath the hood where the steering is hooked up

- Roseland, FL, USA

Dec 192015

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving approximately 50 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact stated that the failure recurred each time the vehicle was driven at 50 mph or higher. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electrical motor that was connected to the steering column was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 117,000.

- Providence, RI, USA

Jun 082015

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that there was water entering the map light. The contact also heard an abnormal noise in the rear of the vehicle, the suspension was unstable pertaining to the control arm, and the axle was leaking fluid without warning. The steering wheel also made a grinding noise when turned, the automatic transmision hesitated, the throttle was light, and it was difficult to reverse upon the change in weather. The vehicle was not repaired and the dealer was notified of the various failures. The manufacturer was notified of the failures and provided no remedy. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 201,765.

- Inkster, MI, USA

Mar 152015

Equinox 6-cyl

The front lights on the car comes on at night when car is parked in the driveway, not being used by persons. This car may not start in the morning because the battery maybe dead, due to lights coming on by it self. We had the defective switch replaced in the past week, and that's when the lights started to act up.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Mar 062015

Equinox 6-cyl

In the past the transmission has quit when driving on the freeway, now the steering locks up when driving. Information redacted pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6).

- Redmond, WA, USA

Feb 172015

On 2/17/15, I, along with 3 of my children, were driving along the roadway at approx. 7am. As I went around a minor bend in the road, the vehicle pulled hard to the left slamming the driver's side into the snowbank around the guardrail. It continued moving forward as I attempted to apply the brake and lightly move the wheel to get us back into our lane. The vehicle pulled to the right and as I tried to straighten it up, I was sent into a spin until the rear of the vehicle slammed into the snow on our side of the road, bringing us to a stop. No air bags deployed & as I tried to pull away, I realized the vehicle was not on. It had shut itself down. I had my brother look at it & test drive, he found nothing, so I assumed it was a 1 time event and proceeded to use the vehicle. On 2/22/15, my nephew and my daughter used the vehicle to go to town. He got less than 3 miles from home, heading down the mountain, when he realized there was little to no steering. He looked down & saw that once again, the vehicle had shut itself off. He too ended up crashing. Luckily he was able to get it to the opposite side of the rd, into the snowbank just before a semi went speeding by. Again, no airbags deployed. It concerns me with the massive recall that I found online, that this vehicle is not on the list, but many ppl seem to be having the same issue. Luckily no one was injured in our incidents. But these vehicles are not safe & should not be on the roads in this condition. We were very fortunate that both incidents were during a clear spot in traffic. Now the vehicle site in my drive because I do not trust that whatever they do will fix it & I cannot in good conscience pass this death trap on to anyone else. I contacted GM hoping for a bit of help & perhaps an investigation into the safety of the vehicles, but they refused.

- Morris, PA, USA

Feb 172014

Please note in order to try to avid an accident in which nardone electric truck, broadsided my driver side on a complete screpedown on my vehicle, and afterward after I left the expressway 93 N in boston,15 minutes later after I stopped at a convenience store, my vehicle would not turn left or right only straight...

- Dorchester, MA, USA

Sep 012011

The contact owns 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the front passenger and driver side wheel bearings started to make a loud noise. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the bearings in the wheel assembly failed. The contact mentioned that the vehicle had been repaired an additional three times for the same failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Lynwood, IL, USA

Apr 132009

Equinox 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle independently steered to the extreme right. The failure caused the contact to drive through a ditch, across traffic, and through another ditch. The contact had no control of the vehicle, but did not crash the vehicle. The failure occurred twice in one day. The contact also stated that the key became stuck in the ignition. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing and the ignition and middle drive shaft carrier bearing were replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000. Updated 10/09/14 updated 05/18/2015

- Custer, SD, USA

Jul 072014

Equinox 6-cyl

I had trouble inserting the key in to the ignition. After inserted I drove the car to the store. When I turned off the car the key would not come out of the ignition. After wiggling the key around it finally came out of the ignition and the steering column locked. When I tried to put the key back in the ignition the steering column would not unlock. After several attempts the column unlocked and the key was able to be inserted and the car started. This has occurred repeatedly since the above date.

- Point Pleasant, NJ, USA

Apr 012014

Equinox 6-cyl

I wasn't involve in an accident its just my ignition has trouble starting from time to time, it acts as if it want to start then ill shut off I restart it & it just has a hard time starting. Needing answers on what to do.

- Grandview , MO, USA

Sep 172012

Equinox 6-cyl

Water seeped in under sun roof, down front driver side roof pillar and then into car behind dashboard then dripped down into computer control device (where obdii unit hooks up) where it shorted out entire electrical system. I was going down a hill into town where speed is 45 mph and my sister in law was in car and we were heading to airport however engine just shut down. Brakes and steering became really much more difficult to control. We coasted to a stop and after 15 mins car started up but with significantly diminished power so I drove into a service station where car stayed for next 2-days. I discovered what shut car down when I started squirting water onto roof at a car wash and water started dripping down onto carpet flooring but first it seeped into computer control unit. I waited out drying of unit and then drove home and applied a lot caulk to sunroof where glass meet metal/rubber. Car exterior roof now looks terrible as caulk dried sort of a brown crud color (car is white) but no more (knock on wood) engine stalling when it rains or I go through a car wash. Makes me very nervous when on road and in rain.

- Silver City, NM, USA

Jul 212013

Equinox 6-cyl

Have had to replace 2 ignition switches which resulted in car being towed each time.

- Waynesboro, VA, USA

May 232014

Equinox 6-cyl

I today just bought a used 2005 Chevy Equinox ls from a dealership in rochester, nh - ( owed car for only 3 hr ) once I pulled out of the driveway I realized that my car might be part of the 2014 recall on (keys) and I had watched the cnn broadcast where their showed driver who think their car might be part of the issue how it might happen in a controlled teat well I did the same thing while the car was in the breakdown lane just outside of the dealership heading home and I tried it with 3 light tug the car stalled I was able to restart the car as I was not going very fast ( only 5 mph) when I got home in my own garage I tried it aging while in a parked and it happened aging I repeated this 3 more time to ensure it was not a error on my part - I then called the dealership left a message about this as if it can getrepired - under my warrenty I like to do so as I have on my keyt climbing carbine I use for work as a food delivery guy I then called GM recall hotline and was bounce around to 3 different women who took my infor and told me my car not part of the recall so I cant get it of right now but I can leave a message for NHTSA to get a recall on my car started *** 3 little tugs on the ignition switch for a 2005 Chevy Equinox ls (auto) and the car stalled out - while in park - and going 5 mph in a breakdown lane.

- Rochester, NH, USA

May 062014

Key does not stay in the ignition while the SUV is in drive or being driven and also while it is in park, this is a major safety issue, in which I've complained to GM. Upon contacting GM customer service to determine if my vehicle was apart of the recall for faulty ignition switches, I was informed that I would have to cover the cost to have repaired since the vehicle is out of warranty.

- Temple Hills, MD, USA

Jun 092010

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the power steering and brakes failed. The contact crashed into a median and rolled over. The air bags failed to deploy upon impact and the power windows failed to open. A police report was filed. The driver sustained injuries to the neck and shoulder. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was destroyed. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 32,000.

- Warsaw, VA, USA

Oct 242006

Equinox 6-cyl

Problem with sway bar links, replaced twice. Still problem with front end as chewed up tires...replaced struts, steering shaft, brakes front& back. Front end and brake problems... cost me over $3500 to this point, plus head& rear seal gaskets...

- Dorchester, MA, USA

Jan 142013

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while parked, the air bag warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. Additionally, there was a loud bang heard from the front end of the vehicle followed by a clunking noise coming from the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The technician stated the rack and pinion and steering shaft would have to be replaced. The air bag failure was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Olean, NY, USA