CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Equinox is plagued by a heating problem, as in the heater only blows cold air.

The reported cause of this problem is a small door, known as the air temperature blend door, which allows air to flow past the heater core. This door has a plastic connecting shaft to an electric motor and the shaft is prone to breaking after a few years. The problem has a typical repair cost of over $800.

The 2006 Equinox also has a number of reported problems ranging from the key getting stuck in the ignition, to failing speed sensors, and trouble starting the engine. All in all, this car sounds like one worth avoiding.

2006 Chevrolet Equinox accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox:

2006 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Oct 012012

Equinox

While driving on a cold and rainy day, my windows began to get foggy. I turned on my defrost and my windows continued to get worse. I then notice it was blowing cold air I turned the knobs to see if I had it on air conditioning instead of defrost but it was on the correct setting. I became very afraid because I couldn't see out of my windshield! I had to keep wiping off the windshield with a towel just to get to work. I then I had to repeat the same process returning home. I researched the problem and found that this common in 2006 Chevy Equinox there is a plastic piece that breaks after constant use(heater blend door) and it will cause the defrost to only blow either cold or hot air. I was told it would cost 800-1000 to fix or more depending who fixes it. I am so afraid to drive this car in rainy weather and soon winter will arrive. GM should really replace this part before someone dies from a faulty piece of plastic.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Sep 302011

Equinox 6-cyl

There has been no actual incident. I am writing to inform you of the safety issue that the lack of heat and defrosting capabilities of the 2006 Chevy Equinox may cause. If the issue of the problem is not resolved there is a chance that a window will not be defrosted and the drivers view will be obstructed. There is also the health issue for not only the driver but any passengers in the vehicle. Not being warm or able to see and cause rising costs of both care and health care costs. Help push the issue to GMC and get the problems fixed at their cost.

- Porter, IN, USA

Dec 012011

Equinox

My wife and I purchased our 2006 Chevrolet Equinox in January of 2011, 10 1/2 months after owning it (out of warranty of course), the heater blend door/actuator problem occurred on our Chevrolet as well. It seems to be a common issue with this year/make/model, and it's effecting visibility in the cooler months. We live in western Washington, and during the fall/winter, you can't see anything through the windshield (only have cold air available through vents).

- Kent, WA, USA

Sep 122012

Equinox 6-cyl

I recently purchased a used 2006 Chevy Equinox (130,000 miles), when I tried to defrost my windshield only cold air blew causing the windshield to fog up. I could not see and almost went off the road. After an hour long white-knuckle ride the defrost still only blew cold air. I live in the extreme North-East where we have an exceptionally long winter which hasn't even started. I am afraid that this problem (and I am not anywhere near the only one) will result in a situation where I and the drivers around me could be put in a very dangerous situation.

- Barrington, NH, USA

Aug 012011

Equinox

The heater stopped producing warm air. Diagnosed it as a heater blend door problem. GM sent us a letter asking to fix and then denied the claim.

- Orland Hills, IL, USA

Nov 112011

Equinox 6-cyl

The defrost and heating system would not work. Only cold air blows from the vents. This allows the windows to fog and causes concern. It has been diagnosed as a common problem with the Equinox. The flap to control the flow of outside air is controlled by a stepper motor. The motor short circuits, causing the flap to break. Thus the flap is ineffective and allows for freezing or hot temperatures to flood the car.

- Rahway, NJ, USA

Jul 292011

Equinox

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the moon roof was leaking down to the dash board and the contact was concerned that the failure could potentially cause a fire. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop where they attempted to perform an adjustment but to no avail. The manufacturer was notified and they informed the contact to take the vehicle to the dealer for repair. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Mcalester, OK, USA